GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Modded Euros

Old 06-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Spirit
Pianist Physicist Duality

Drives: 2008 GTI Mk V (Candy White)
Question Door Rattling while driving

Both of my '08 2-door GTI's doors rattle while driving. The sound is coming from behind me at the B-pillar, right where the rubber seal on the body meets the inner painted part of the door. I found that there is a small gap between the seal and the door at the middle of the curvature (i.e. the top-to-bottom curvature of the car's body, along the vertical B-pillar). Is this gap normal?

I once put my fingers at where the gap is while driving, and I felt vibration, which means the door is hitting the rubber seal, creating the rattle.

Does anyone else here has this problem? Is this supposed to be some safety feature (although I doubt it)?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
pdxa4
Longtime VW/Audi owner

Drives: 08 GTi_4-dr DSG, 03 Audi S8
Sounds similar to what I have on our new 4-door...When driving I hear a similar rubbing/rattling noise behind me...Rather annoying on a brand new car, but I'd like to fix it myself vs a dealership ripping it apart and having the car for a full day...

Current:08 GTi, 4-door UG, DSG
Current:03 S8 Ming Blue
Current:06 Mazda MX-5, several mods
pdxa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
rlhitman
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2006 VW GTI
I have the exact same problem. I've tried numerous times to find the cause of it, but could never pin it down. I'll have to check this out.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
nbn
morning

Drives: '08 GTI
I think i have the same thing as you. I had thought it was the seal breaking between the door and the body when the chassis flexes or something. I also hear the seal breaking (i think) when pulling into driveways, that's why i assumed it was a little chassis flex.
nbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Spirit
Pianist Physicist Duality

Drives: 2008 GTI Mk V (Candy White)
I was thinking chassis flex as well, but it's happening a bit more often than I'm comfortable with. I mean, should I expect it from a moderately rough road?

Any ideas on how to reduce this, or if, at all, VW can possibly do any adjustments?

Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
CottonTail
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2 '07 Bunnies
If it's less than 12 months old, the warranty should cover any adjustment/repair charges. I'm no tech person but it does not sound normal.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Guticb
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW 07MKV GTI w/DSG, PKG2
Send a message via AIM to Guticb
Hold on.

If I recall correctly, that rattle is caused by the seatbelt adjuster (The one that slides up and down). I think there was a DIY on how to fix it.

facebook
Guticb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
pdxa4
Longtime VW/Audi owner

Drives: 08 GTi_4-dr DSG, 03 Audi S8
I took the rear interior door panel off my lessthan one week old car yesterday...

Found that there is a screw which secures the interior door handle was rubbing up against the inner door metal...I put some adhesive velcro on the spot and reassembled...Now that noise is gone...

I double checked that all screws were tight, and also checked the bass and tweeter speakers, they were ok...

Shame to have to do this on a new car, but I better trusted myself to fix it than a dealership, especially when the car would be with them for a full day...

Now if I could find the reason why my steering wheel makes a noise with a sudden turn input...

Current:08 GTi, 4-door UG, DSG
Current:03 S8 Ming Blue
Current:06 Mazda MX-5, several mods
pdxa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
dstng
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2008 VW GTi..
I am having the same problem.. but i am not sure where this rattling is coming from.. it sounds like a washer bouncing on a screw.. but the thing is that i'm unable to locate the problem.. cause i've made my friend sit on the passenger side but then she told me she heard it coming from the driver's side.. but i kept hearing it coming from the right side.. i'm confused.. cause i'm wondering if the dealer would find it the root of the problem or will they just hold my car for a day for nothing..

can anyone help?!?! pls..
dstng is offline   Reply With Quote