GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Parts4Euro

Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
eROCK
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '08 GTI CW 4 door
Question Creaking noise from chassis?

The best way to describe it is a creaking noise coming from the front of the chassis when I turn the steering wheel. My car's about 10 months old, and this noise just started maybe a few weeks ago. It's mostly noticeable at very slow speeds when turning the wheel, especially when parallel parking. I've got about 13,500 miles on her, and have been to all my scheduled maintenances on time. The only chassis related mod I've made is the dogbone insert mount; wouldn't think that would cause this though. Other that it being annoying, is this something I should be concerned with? Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what it could be? Rack and pinion? CV joint? Would the chassis twist at all when turning the wheel?
/// My sleeper mods: APR stg 1, ECS Dogbone Mount, K&N Panel Filter, Forge Short Shifter (front/back, side/side), Verdict Motorsport shift bracket bushings, 42DD shifter linkage bushings, Hawk HPS brake pads, Neuspeed SS brake lines, TyrolSport Brake Caliper bushings ///
eROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
tranceporter
F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS

Drives: 2008 BMP GTI Manual
Send a message via AIM to tranceporter Send a message via Skype™ to tranceporter
sounds like the sub-frame bolts. i had the guys at the dealership tighten them but it stopped making the noise for... a day. it's so loud too, it's kinda embarrassing because i know everybody can hear it from outside.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
eROCK
FIA GT Champion

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but the noises started once the weather became really warm outside.
/// My sleeper mods: APR stg 1, ECS Dogbone Mount, K&N Panel Filter, Forge Short Shifter (front/back, side/side), Verdict Motorsport shift bracket bushings, 42DD shifter linkage bushings, Hawk HPS brake pads, Neuspeed SS brake lines, TyrolSport Brake Caliper bushings ///
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
-wiretap-
hax0r

Drives: Evolution X GSR
Yup.. mine just started doing it too. I have about 10,000 miles on my car. It reminds me of the sound my mother's Camaro made when it needed new ball joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Reagan - Inaugural Address - 1/20/1981
We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the Earth. Our government has no power except that granted it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
-wiretap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
kenrsx04
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 07 GTI
I have the some experience. I have 15000miles on my car. I still haven't figure out what wrong with it. I brought it back to the dealer and did a test drive with the mechanic; however, we could not reproduce the sound. He put my car on the lift, but couldn't find any thing loose. So he told me to bring it back when I can constantly reproduce the sound.
kenrsx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
eROCK
FIA GT Champion

Yeah, mine happens every time now. It sounds like a creaking boat every time turn the wheel to park my car.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
rcnu71299
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 08 UG GTI
there are several threads about this already... but anyways, i had this same problem a few weeks after i bought my car... it was very annoying and became very loud at times... go to the dealer and tell them to replace your strut mounts and bearings... i had this done and no noise ever since
rcnu71299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #8
MasterGunnZ
The sex

Drives: United Grey GTI
Send a message via AIM to MasterGunnZ
I had the same problem with my rabbit. In the mornings whenever I would be backing up as I turn the steering wheel it would make a creaking noise.
MasterGunnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
fuzion1029
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2008 UG GTI 6mt TSI 4dr
could it possibly just be that some of the bushings need to be re-greased?
fuzion1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
rcnu71299

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzion1029 View Post
could it possibly just be that some of the bushings need to be re-greased?
the way they explained it to me was that during production or whatnot, water gets in there and actually causes the stuff to rust a little bit, hence the creaking noise
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
eROCK
FIA GT Champion

Thanks guys, I'll have the dealer check this out.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
ftj
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2008 cw gti
Hey i just cant believe it i have the exact same problem with my car since new and my car is at the dealers for it's nineth day and they cannot figure it out. They have replaced spring, shock, steering rack and still at very low speeds when i turn left or right there is a noise which sounds like somethings snaps for a brief moment. I dont know if that's the same noise we are talking about here but it's getting really frustrating since i dont have my car for 9 days now and i've already been 5 times to the dealers before this. Last time i gave them my car and said if they cannot fix it in 45 days i want my money back.

rcnu71299: I think they have already replaced strut mount but im not sure for the bearings? if you could explain me more i would be grateful.
ftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
-wiretap-
hax0r

Drives: Evolution X GSR
@ ftj

Yup.. mine does that exact noise you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Reagan - Inaugural Address - 1/20/1981
We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the Earth. Our government has no power except that granted it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
-wiretap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
CottonTail
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2 '07 Bunnies
I had the very same problem on my '98 Jetta. It would make a loud popping noise when I backed out of my garage & made a slight turn. It sometimes felt like the wheel got stuck on something. I replaced the strut mounts & bearings & the noise returned in about 2 months. Go figure...... I've driven VW's for over 30 yrs & the '98 Jetta is the only one that had that problem.

So far my '07 Rabbit is just fine.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Doctor7474

Drives: 2008 UG GTI
I'm dropping my car off at the dealer in the morning for this so we'll see what happens. Plus my sunglass holder won't stay shut since it got really really hot this week.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #16
rcnu71299

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftj View Post
Hey i just cant believe it i have the exact same problem with my car since new and my car is at the dealers for it's nineth day and they cannot figure it out. They have replaced spring, shock, steering rack and still at very low speeds when i turn left or right there is a noise which sounds like somethings snaps for a brief moment. I dont know if that's the same noise we are talking about here but it's getting really frustrating since i dont have my car for 9 days now and i've already been 5 times to the dealers before this. Last time i gave them my car and said if they cannot fix it in 45 days i want my money back.

rcnu71299: I think they have already replaced strut mount but im not sure for the bearings? if you could explain me more i would be grateful.
this is what they wrote on the explanation:

The strut top bearing sticking, causing spring to pop sporadically. Replaced strut top bearing and bushings on both sides.

Part no. 1K0-412-331-B Mounting
Part no. 6N0-412-249-C Bearing

Hope this helps
Old 06-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
ftj
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2008 cw gti
I've called the delaer and he says they have already changed that twice? They are gonna change the steering rack again and we'll see if that will solve it.
ftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
hurdy
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Polo GTI 6R 7-speed DSG
A few in the UK have the same noise. They've been sorted now and all turned out to be the sway bar (ARB) bushes.
hurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
MoB$TER
streetracing newbie

Drives: 10 Scirocco 2.0T
If you feel the click under your feet..Its def loosen sub-fram blots..Happened to me and got it fixed at the dealer
09 MKV GTI DSG - Sold
MoB$TER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Stockgti
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2007 GTI TR DSG
i have a crazy idea, maybe you can disconnect the front sway bar and test the car over, go through speedbumps, in and out driveways. I believe the noise is from the swaybar.
Stockgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #21
kenrsx04
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 07 GTI
I brought my car to the dealer this morning. I just got a call and say my car is really to pickup. The mechanic told me that the subframe is rubbing the main frame. So he put a pressure washer between them. I hope this will fix it.

Pickuped my car, the popping noise is gone.

Last edited by kenrsx04; 06-11-2008 at 06:53 PM.
kenrsx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #22
Doctor7474

Drives: 2008 UG GTI
I took mine in too, they tightened the subframe bolts and its gone at this moment.

Holy fuckballs I was pissed when I picked up my car. I'm anal about the way it looks, and clean it religiously, so I know where all imperfections are on the entire car. Well I now have a ding on the right front fender, and the drivers door painted molding is chipped. I picked it up while it was raining, couldn't see anything, as I was driving off it stopped raining by the time I got home all the streets, car everything was dry (90f+ today). I pulled into the car port, got out, looked over it saw the damage and went straight back to the dealer. Said they would make note of it and have it repaired when I come back for my sunglass holder (had to order it, wouldn't stay shut). Still calling the manager tomorrow to make sure because he wasn't there at 5:30. I kept my calm though, but I could have killed someone.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote