GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newsouth Indigo Boost Gauge Calibration fix

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but I've definitely read and seen the NSP indigo gauges being off a little. I got in touch with NSP and they told me that the needle sitting a touch in vac is due to overtightening the square barb in install. They suggested the following:

Steve from NSP said:
1. Loosen the nut that touches the back of the gauge. Take another
wrench to hold the square brass barb and rotate it gently so the
needle moves to the zero block.

2. Holding the barb in place, retighten the nut - Don't over tighten.

This worked perfectly for me. Don't over loosen the nut on the back, a hafl turn will suffice. Then loosen the square barb until its hand loose, then retighten as you watch the needle. When it returns to the zero block, retighten the nut and reinstall.

Another problem I had was that when turning off the car, my gauge would sit just below zero, but if you tapped on the glass it would pop back. This may have resulted from my initial overtightening of the bolt. NSP suggested the following:

Steve from NSP said:
Check for needle binding - peel back the red sticker on the back of the gauge. Use a small screwdriver to move the crescent-shaped brass piece towards the center or the outside of the gauge. The needle should snap back into position after you remove the screwdriver. If it doesn't then there is a problem.

If you move crescent (needle) to the stops (the end of its movement) you get the needle to adjust a bit. If you are within 1 needle width of the middle of the zero block then you are within our production tolerance.

Do it fairly gently or the gearing will skip a tooth.

I had to move the crescent to the stop in the positive (boost) direction. After that it would pop back to zero. :happyanim:

Last edited:

blackmagic08

PP-ASEL
I just took my gauge and pod out to add some male/female blade disconnects, and since my gauge was sitting at the end of the 0 range, I decided to look into fixing it as done above. I messed with the nut and barb fitting but got no improvement. I did the sticker peel - crescent thing trick and got it centered where it should be by also moving it quite far in the positive direction.

Now we have 2 documented positive outcomes. These gauges are sensitive so be careful, but I am happy with the results. I also trimmed my pod while I was at it, you could see where the back of the wheel was smoothing the plastic out.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
My AWE gauge sits at 1 inhg and it drives me nuts, but i dont think the same procedure works for the AWE gauges so whatever, ill just deal.

blackmagic08

PP-ASEL
I can't speak for your design, but agree that it should be similar. I was hesitant to start poking around, but am glad I did. I, too, get all upset when little things like that are off, and in this case it is staring you in the face whenever you drive. I knew I wanted to add the quick disconnects so I am glad I did, that was the impetus for me fixing my gauge.

Good luck.