GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia

Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Gordon
Autocross Newbie

Drives: GTI
RNS 510 - Premium Bluetooth

Has anybody installed the Premium Bluetooth with the RNS 510 head unit yet?

If so was it done at dealer or factory?

Cheers
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
davepraymond
en-Golfed

Drives: Black Magic R32 3 Door Manual
Send a message via AIM to davepraymond Send a message via MSN to davepraymond
I'd be interested to know the difference between the Premium and the Dealer Fit Parrot BlueTooth.
davepraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Gordon
Autocross Newbie

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepraymond View Post
I'd be interested to know the difference between the Premium and the Dealer Fit Parrot BlueTooth.
My understanding is the premium Bluetooth is intended to utilise the phone functionality of the RNS 510 i.e. touch screen dialling etc... Which the parrot cannot!.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
danceboi_syd

Drives: 2008 MY R32 5dr
Hey there.
Newbie here...do you want the good or bad news?

We were among the first to have the handfree installed last week in our 2008MY R32 with RNS-510. When I got it home and tried it out I thought they had made a huge mistake and it wasn't the premium model. After checking with the dealer, this apparently is the Premium model that VW Australia is trying to sell as the Premium kit for RNS-510.

The kit has absolutely no interface to the RNS-510 screen and effectively only mutes the audio when the call comes through. Other than that you can answer calls on the steering wheel. To see who is calling you have to look at your phone! Practically none of the features are available as mentioned in the RNS-510 manual dealing with the Premium handsfree kit.

Apparently there have already been complaints from owners and if you are getting one I suggest you show the RNS-510 manual to your dealer and raise the issue with them when the disappointment sets in.
For my money not good enough for a large manufacturer like VW.
Brett
danceboi_syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
FattyBoomba
Live life in the R Lane!

Drives: Golf R32 Mark V - October 2008
Do what I did, and order the Premium Bluetooth Car Kit from Europe. Cost me $325 Pounds delivered.. about $900.

I got it installed professionally and with full warranty from BarloWorld VW - Mascot for a further $225.

Works perfectly.. every single feature as advertisied including full touch screen interface functionality for the phone and contacts list RIGHT on the RNS-510 display... cool! :-)

Very Happy with it..

But i did have to order it from overseas.. took two weeks to get here.

Cheers

Nick
FattyBoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
b00f12
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: RS 5dr GTI
I had the premium bluetooth installed when I retro fitted the RNS-510. Works great. I had it done aftermarket.

Your phone book, missed calls and last calls "download" to the head unit and you can use the touch screen as you would your phone menu items and keypad.

Jason.
b00f12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Dingah
Crusty Aviator

Drives: 2013 Audi SQ5 & 2008 GTI
You have been sold a pup there.
VW have had Nokia produce the kit you feel dudded by at round $600'ish.
It was never marketed or sold as the Premium system which is yet to be released - later this month which enjoys full RNS510 touch screen interfacing and is around $1200 fitted.
Call Grant at Lennock VW Canberra for detail.

Dingah
Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
b00f12
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
It was never marketed or sold as the Premium system which is yet to be released - later this month which enjoys full RNS510 touch screen interfacing and is around $1200 fitted.

Dingah
Interesting.....

Never marketed in Australia or worldwide? I was told it was imported from Germany.

At the end of the day the brand isn't important to me, more the functionality.

Jason.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Booba
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: MY08 Golf GTI MKV
Probably be the kit from vrstu @ double the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00f12 View Post
Interesting.....

Never marketed in Australia or worldwide? I was told it was imported from Germany.

At the end of the day the brand isn't important to me, more the functionality.

Jason.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
Mark4323
GTI Blue Graphite | DSG |

Drives: Golf GTI Blue Graphite | DSG |
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomba View Post
Do what I did, and order the Premium Bluetooth Car Kit from Europe. Cost me $325 Pounds delivered.. about $900.

I got it installed professionally and with full warranty from BarloWorld VW - Mascot for a further $225.

Works perfectly.. every single feature as advertisied including full touch screen interface functionality for the phone and contacts list RIGHT on the RNS-510 display... cool! :-)

Very Happy with it..

But i did have to order it from overseas.. took two weeks to get here.

Cheers

Nick
I just did the same. Ordered from vrStu and had it fitted at McCarrolls Hornsby last Friday. They haven't configured it properly (MFD isn't working). Other than that it is excellent - sound quality is great. Only annoyance is that the phone button on the steering wheel doesn't work (Skoda unit).

McCarrolls didn't mention that the Premium Bluetooth is about to be made available in Aus.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
G-rig
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MY10 Golf GTI
Everyone should buy the proper OEM skoda kit from VRS Stu, can't beat it. The dealer is charging double for inferior parrots and crap...
G-rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #12
Dingah
Crusty Aviator

The standard Mk V GTI kit is not Parrot but Nokia, provides excellent sound, no echoes is fully hidden from view and comes as a VW factory kit with manual warranty et al. The point is its simplicity in that it does everything required and is utterly transparent to the user with no distractions.
For those that want to fiddle around on the touch screen of the RNS 510 or who cannot bear a passing moment without phoning someone they may choose to wait for the AUstralian produced (coming forever) VW Premium Bluetooth.

Dingah
Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #13
Booba
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: MY08 Golf GTI MKV
I dont fiddle with the rns because i just haven't been bothered to actually get hold of one yet but as far as the "cannot bear a passing moment without phoning someone" well I talk to people pretty much all day its business makes me money :)

Quote:
The standard Mk V GTI kit is not Parrot but Nokia, provides excellent sound, no echoes is fully hidden from view and comes as a VW factory kit with manual warranty et al. The point is its simplicity in that it does everything required and is utterly transparent to the user with no distractions.
For those that want to fiddle around on the touch screen of the RNS 510 or who cannot bear a passing moment without phoning someone they may choose to wait for the AUstralian produced (coming forever) VW Premium Bluetooth.

Dingah
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
GTI_SS
illektronik

Drives: APR Edition 30 GTI MKV
Send a message via Yahoo to GTI_SS
I had it installed when I had my RNS-510 retro-fitted. A great system, well worth the money. The HP boys up there should be able to source/install it for you. There are probably others, but they sourced mine and had it sent down to Sydney.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
G-rig
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:

Dingah
As long as people know what they are getting installed, and dont come back disappointed if it doesn't fully integrate with RNS or MFD. Wasn't saying the nokia kits are bad, just not as perfect a setup as the premium. Can you dial a contact from the MFD on the nokia, or have to use the phone? Still better than an aftermarket parrot i'd say.

The main thing IMO is if you can take the call easily without fiddling around and call recent numbers.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
Dingah
Crusty Aviator

Calls received are automatically answered or you can accept/reject using telephone button on the steering wheel. Muting is automatic with the exception of navigation commands from the RNS510.
THere is no visual interface and nothing appears on either the RNS510 or MFD.
Other than one tiny telephone icon appearing at the top of the RNS510 screen when bluetooth does its intial handshake with your phone there are no obvious signs of telephone integration.
It was kept this simple to ensure it could integrate with BOTH the RNS510 and be backward compatible with the other system and CD stacker. The premium system will have MFD/RNS510 displays and interface, is RNS510 specific and I'd suggest if you need to frequently make outgoing calls might be the better option.

Dingah
Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #17
RooGT

Drives: GT Sport TSI
I am having my "properly integrated to RNS-510" bluetooth system fitted next Wednesday, but am starting to get a bad feeling that it is going to be the basic integration described above ... not really what I was looking for, or been prepared to pay $800 for! Will be interesting conversation if it ain't what I was expecting.

Does the basic system described above allow for voice dialling ... i.e. can you press a steering wheel button and say the name of the person you want to call, presuming that your phone supports it of course?
RooGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
G-rig
Formula 1 Driver

If possible you should try and determine if it is the same as the oem kit before it goes in to save yourself some time and labor.

as a side note
not sure if the dealers up here are happy to install byohits.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
Dingah
Crusty Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooGT View Post
I am having my "properly integrated to RNS-510" bluetooth system fitted next Wednesday, but am starting to get a bad feeling that it is going to be the basic integration described above ... not really what I was looking for, or been prepared to pay $800 for! Will be interesting conversation if it ain't what I was expecting.

Does the basic system described above allow for voice dialling ... i.e. can you press a steering wheel button and say the name of the person you want to call, presuming that your phone supports it of course?
No.

Dingah
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #20
b00f12
Drag Race Newbie

Not sure if it is the Nokia or the Parrot kit, but the one I had installed definately has voice dialing. Holding down the star button on the steering wheel gets a very polite female voice prompting me for an action... "Dial Name", "Dial Number" etc.

When it was installed, I think I was told it was from Siemens in Germany.

Jason.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #21
Maverick
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 08 GTI DSG Leather CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00f12 View Post
Not sure if it is the Nokia or the Parrot kit, but the one I had installed definately has voice dialing. Holding down the star button on the steering wheel gets a very polite female voice prompting me for an action... "Dial Name", "Dial Number" etc.

When it was installed, I think I was told it was from Siemens in Germany.
That's the Skoda kit.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #22
Flogged
Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Drives: Candy White Pacific 2.0 FSI
Does anyone know what installing the Bluetooth kit in a Mark V Pacific with the RCD 300 will cost?

Cheers,
Simon.

Last edited by Flogged; 11-26-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Flogged is offline   Reply With Quote