GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ksport Coilovers: Installed and Reviewed

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi

After a month of hype and discussions with the manufacturer I am ready to give my official review of the new Ksport V2 coilover as well as Ksport as a company.

Ksport is an international company with multiple distribution centers around the world. Their US headquarters is located here in Az which gave me a chance to meet them and talk VW suspension and brakes one on one. I really enjoyed meeting the staff, they were willing to share info and spend time with making sure I understood their product not only well enough to consider purchase, but also preparing me to relay information to all of you.

After installing a set of V1's on my car I was ready to give some feedback. The original Ksport coilovers for the A5 chassis vehicles was decent, it provided a radical drop in the rear, modest in the front, and had relatively soft spring rates. Some would like this, others not so much.

After hearing this critique/information Ksport and I began working together to create an ideal suspension for enthusiasts who were either looking for a modest drop and great performance, or those who just flat out wanted a major drop. The design of the Ksport Coilover kit allows for this type of flexibility and Im really pleased to have been able to work with them to further the product.

Peformance:

Ksport coilovers are more then then just your average ride height adjustable suspension. Each kit features 36 way dampening and rebound adjustment, two positions for camber adjustment, and pillowball upper top mounts. The replacement upper mounts do away with the prone to failure factory strut bearings and also make suspension much quicker to install as no factory components need to be swapped onto the new suspension.

Ksport currently races 4 cars on the pro and semi pro levels, one of which consistently finishes top 3 in its class in the Time Attack challenges. One of the Ksport engineers is also a driver for the team, this is how they are able to further develop their products performance.

Ride Quality:

Ksport coilovers offer excellent ride quality even when dropped super low. The unique design of the coilover system allows for the car to be lowered without affecting spring travel. This is accomplished by incorporating an adjustable shock body into the coilover. By adjusting the height by the shock body, you are not forced to preload the spring which in turn stiffens it and prevents it from traveling its full range of motion.

My experience with this, its real. The suspension is not jarring or abrupt, I take my fiancé and even my mother out in this car all the time. Strange thing to say I know, but that’s probably a good way to get the point across. I actually want to set the shocks a bit more stiff! I’m about halfway stiff on the dampening and rebound.

Drop:

The old saying “If you aint rubbin then you aint dubbin” definetly is covered here. At full drop we couldn’t get my car off their lift. Tires tucked while still in the air low.. AKA totally undriveable... I guess in my opinion as I’m sure someone will try and prove this wrong. It isn’t all big drops though, standard drop, or the highest setting is about 1.5” below stock. Those of you looking for stock ride heights wont be covered here, but the mild to wild drop enthusiasts are good to go.

Construction:

The mounts as well as most pieces of the coilover are designed from 6061 billet aluminum making the Ksport coilover kits lightweight, durable, and rust resistant. The steel shock body is electroplated with zinc to resist rust and the elements.

Price:

When looking at all the standard features of a Ksport coilover there is no other coilover kit that comes close to Ksport in terms of price. While there are companies who kits under the 1k mark, really look and see if any of them come close to matching the options offered by Ksport.

You can pick up a set of Ksport coilovers through BSH for $909 shipped anywhere in the lower 48.

Conclusion:

These are a good buy. Great adjustability, awesome ride height and the price is perfect. Ksport has a good staff and will be upgrading everyone who wants V2 and currently has V1 in their possession at no charge.

Thanks to those who have been waiting for this!

-Phill

omegach

Banned
argh. i gots no monies

great write-up phil

generic83

lol wheel spin
any idea how many degrees of camber does the 2 position pillow ball mount give?

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
That drop looks great. Nice write-up also

Thanks! For those wondering, there is still another inch to go! Thats to low for my taste though. :smile:

chacho_25

Ready to race!
Phil,
You riding on 19 or 18? What's the total drop? What's the total Drop?
SO I can get a 2.25 inch drop with no problem at all.
Uhm I think I might have to got with this instead of EIbach.

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
Phil,
You riding on 19 or 18? What's the total drop? What's the total Drop?
SO I can get a 2.25 inch drop with no problem at all.
Uhm I think I might have to got with this instead of EIbach.

2.25" is no problem.

The highest they go is around 1.5" below stock, we couldn't get the car off the lift at the lowest :wink:

joe_r

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all your hard work!! Man the car looks gooood!

I have questions!
What are the front and rear spring rates?

What wheels are those? size, width and offset, and on what tire size? The fit is perfect. What hole are you using on the camber plate??

The second camber position still should have an estimate of the camber change, even if it is at a specified drop. like, +2 degrees at -2" drop...

I'm probably gonna order these before my car even hits the continent. There's nothing wrong with that, right?

HDClown

Ready to race!
What adjustments from the coilovers can be done with them still installed on the car?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
i dunno, isnt the review a bit biased... i mean your selling them so of course you wont say anything negative about then. :-D

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
i dunno, isnt the review a bit biased... i mean your selling them so of course you wont say anything negative about then. :-D

Think about it though, what is worth more, a few sales based on a biased review, or a reputation for giving honest feedback. :smile:

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
What adjustments from the coilovers can be done with them still installed on the car?

Front and rear ride height adjustment, front dampening and rebound adjustment, if you wanted to put a hole over your shock tower you can adjust the rear dampening and rebound on the car.

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
Answers below:

Thanks for all your hard work!! Man the car looks gooood!

I have questions!
What are the front and rear spring rates?

The springs used are progressive. 7.4kg/414lb in the front and the rears are right around the same, I dont have the exact numbers at my home.

What wheels are those? size, width and offset, and on what tire size? The fit is perfect. What hole are you using on the camber plate??

They Oettinger RE, 18 x 8.5 ET 50, 225/40/18, I am using the "standard" camber hole and not the negative.

The second camber position still should have an estimate of the camber change, even if it is at a specified drop. like, +2 degrees at -2" drop...

Not going to lie, having been into VW exclusively for the last decade I havent been exposed to kits with camber adjustment much so this is new ground to me. Im dedicated to learning more so soon myself and Brandon will have more info on the camber adjustability. I will talk to Ksport about it this week.

I'm probably gonna order these before my car even hits the continent. There's nothing wrong with that, right?

Always be prepared :smile:

-Phill