GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Parts4Euro

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
the real deal
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: soon to own 2008 GTI
autobahn package?

Im buying a GTI in the next month, if you guys had the extra cash would you get the autobahn package? What do you guys prefer the leather seats or the classic interlogos seats?
the real deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
HipToss
Behind the iron sights

Drives: With wax
Cloth is nice and easier to take care of IMO. Just make sure to get the Votex body kit.
HipToss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
One-Dub
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2008 United Gray GTI
I ordered my GTI (which is coming in two weeks ) with the Autobahn package. I did a test drive in a GTI with the cloth seats and really did not like to feel of them, just my opinion. Plus, you get a bunch of other little perks with the package, like a better sound system. Also, if you take good care of the leather, you shouldn't really have any problems. I also sat in a .:R32 with the leather seats, and I loved it, they had a really nice feel to them and gripped you pretty well. You should probably see for yourself at the dealer to make a real decision.
One-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
masterkaj
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 08 VW GTI DSG
Leather seats are nice (plus heated), just clean/condition them every once in a while. I didn't like the look and feel of the cloth seats.

I actually really like the premium (external amp) sound on my 4 door 08. It is way, way better than any other car I've owned. Seems to have great range and just the right amount of bass.

Not to mention the sunroof obviously comes with that package.

Only thing that kind of disliked is that they took out the dual climate controls. But I guess that is one less thing to break later on.
BSH Stage 2 PCV Fix
ECS Tuning Dogbone Mount
New South Column Boost Gauge
Parrot BT Kit
V1 Radar Detector
masterkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
mikegabriel
Banned

Drives: Slow.
Send a message via MSN to mikegabriel Send a message via Skype™ to mikegabriel
Haha I got climatronic in my 08 and I wish I didn't. I want the dash tray.
mikegabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
MURFDAWG
Oval Champion

Drives: 2008 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by the real deal View Post
Im buying a GTI in the next month, if you guys had the extra cash would you get the autobahn package? What do you guys prefer the leather seats or the classic interlogos seats?
I got the autobahn: comes with

sunroof, a premium audio system, leather upholstery and heated front seats.

The seats will be much easier to keep clean and wear free. [leather holds up better than cloth]. The audio is great and if you are in cold weather the heated seats are nice as well. I think the heated mirrors and windshield washer jets come to you with this package as well. Oh, I forgot the sunroof. For me that's a must. Over all for $3K you have all useable good stuff with no 'fluff'. All of these [leather seats included] are available ala carte. Choose your favorites
MURFDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
masterkaj
Rally Car Champion

The more I read the more I think I got a great deal on my car.. I paid 24798 before taxes/registration... thats a 4door 08 White GTI DSG with autobahn and rear airbags.

I got a car with the autobahn package for around the same price as other dealers wanted for the base car.

I had to call around a lot to find it though, most people wanted around 26-29 for the same car. I bought mine here in SoCal at the end of August which is a good time to buy I guess.

In my opinion, you should get it but not overpay for it either.
BSH Stage 2 PCV Fix
ECS Tuning Dogbone Mount
Parrot BT Kit
V1 Radar Detector
Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
ekk20
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: gti
i love the cloth, if I had leather as standard and cloth as an option I think would still pay more for cloth, i just love the way it looks.
ekk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Buran
Ready to race!

Drives: 2007 VW GTI 2.0T (loaded)
The seats are a preference thing. Go to your local dealer and try both. I originally planned on Package 1 but I sat in a package 2 and liked those seats much more. (The packages changed in 08, so that'd be base vs. autobahn now). They're shaped differently, so there's more to it than the cover material.

I also like the easy-clean aspect of the leather seats -- I haven't had problems with them being boiling hot in the summer so far, either.

I think you can now get heated cloth, though, which you couldn't in 07. Or is that just on the Rabbit?
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
clutch fool
OG MUFF DIVER

Drives: 07 BMP 6spd Votex Pkg 2 Revo 2
leather ftw.
clutch fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
rcnu71299
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 08 UG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkaj View Post
The more I read the more I think I got a great deal on my car.. I paid 24798 before taxes/registration... thats a 4door 08 White GTI DSG with autobahn and rear airbags.

I got a car with the autobahn package for around the same price as other dealers wanted for the base car.

I had to call around a lot to find it though, most people wanted around 26-29 for the same car. I bought mine here in SoCal at the end of August which is a good time to buy I guess.

That's a great price...I'm jealous now. I paid 23,800 for a 4dr 08 with sunroof and premium sound...it's stick though... good job negotiating
rcnu71299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
MkVBlkMgc
Wir wollen lebensraum!

Drives: '08 GTI 2Dr. DSG Blk Magic
I liked the feel of the leather seats better than the cloth. I've already done some 5 hour drives in my '08 2dr w/autobahn pkg and experienced almost no fatigue - the top sport seats rule! Plus, I like the more upscale feel of the leather interior.

Just sit in both and pick the seats that are the most comfortable for you. Just don't overpay - there is slow demand in the marketplace for new cars, so negotiate your a$$ off. I got a 2dr. w/autobahn, huffs, and DSG for 24k + ttl, so there are deals to be had out there.

Good luck - you'll love the GTI, whatever options you get.
MkVBlkMgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
Guticb
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW 07MKV GTI w/DSG, PKG2
Send a message via AIM to Guticb
I personally HATE the look of the interlagos seats. I know their history, but I really don't care about it. They're UGLY.

Go for leather. :)

facebook
Guticb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
Rabbit GTI
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: The GTI and a fake Porsche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegabriel View Post
Haha I got climatronic in my 08 and I wish I didn't. I want the dash tray.
they drop climatronic from the US GTI's for 08, yet add them as an option for canada? vw is so weird sometimes
Rabbit GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
ssabripo
a/v guru

Drives: 08 gti 4dr
Send a message via AIM to ssabripo
Autobahn is a great package...absolutely worth it!

oh, and I don't think anyone is gonna beat the deal I got!! .......4door 08, manual, autobahn, votex kit, iPod, 18" huffs.....for a lease of

$250/month!!! ;)

'08 GTI / Autobahn / Votex / APR Stage 2 / Eibach Sportsline / Hoen / Thermal / 20% tints
ssabripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
gatorfast
man amongst boys

Drives: Black Magic GTI
I went with leather. 1. I hated the plaid seats and 2. Leather gives the car a much more upscale feel (which is what I wanted)
Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
EcoRI
Bueller? Bueller?

Drives: MkV GTI DSG
Quote:

are you sure it's an 08? That's surprising you got it at the end of August of 07. Also, did you trade anything in?

Man, that's a smokin' deal you got!

EcoRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
masterkaj
Rally Car Champion

Yeah its an 08, they just got them that month.

It had 8 miles on it also :D was sitting in their showroom.

I really called around for 2 months looking for the best deal, I got this for under "invoice" but the dealer still makes money for it.

They wanted me to trade in my old 97 BMW 328i but they only wanted to pay like 3k for it. I sold it privately for 5k.

I don't know man, my theory is if you want a good deal you can't rush things. I didn't even go to that dealer to get that car, I was going to buy an 07 United Grey with pkg 1 for 23300ish.... but then I saw the new 08 with leather/better sound sitting there.

Forgot to mention I drove 90 miles to this dealer to get it. Just call around and tell them I'm not coming in (work/far away), I just want to know the bottom line price. The dealers I had locally said they would not go that low.
BSH Stage 2 PCV Fix
ECS Tuning Dogbone Mount
Parrot BT Kit
V1 Radar Detector
Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
eROCK
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '08 GTI CW 4 door
I also got my '08 the last week of August last year. I have leather and LOVE it. My car before this one had cloth, and I'd get shocked by static electricity every time I got in and out of the car because of the cloth seats. Leather is easier to keep clean also. Just a damp cloth over any spills will do the job...unlike cloth. Since you're in Colorado, you can probably appreciate the heated seats too.
eROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
TarmacSpecial
Terror On Two Wheels

Drives: 2008 Volkswagen GTI
Send a message via AIM to TarmacSpecial Send a message via Yahoo to TarmacSpecial
For me it was $3000 for a bunch of stuff I didn't need or wanted that just added weight to the car.

The Interlagos cloth seats are a trademark throwback que and part of the car's character.

Aside from exotics that use leather for luxury purpose, cloth is better for performance driving as you will see in any aftermarket sport or racing seat.

The GTI's cloth in particular has a bit of ribbing that actually prevents you fro sliding forward on the brakes!

That being said, the leather seats have more agressive bolsters which are better for cornering. I'm a big guy though 6'1" and will never be under 210-220lbs. and I found the extra bolsters of the leather to be to intrusive for regular driving. I also wasn't a fan of the quality of the leather for the money, and not big on grey leather either.

Heated seats/washer nozzles? I live in Southern California. I'm half Finnish. I don't get cold here...ever. Try Helsinki in February.

Sunroof. My last two cars had sunroofs. I rarely, if ever used them. Most people don't - just look around you will usually find them closed most of the time. As a stand alone option it's like $1000. $1000 for a hole in the roof that will be closed most of the time, reduces rigidity and adds a good deal of weight at the highest point of the car.

Premium Audio. Just an amp upgrade to the factory system, and used to be available as a stand alone option. Oddly enough, even though my car is a "Package 0" or base model car with no options whatsoever, I do in fact of the amp underneat my passenger seat. I found that to odd, and while I certainly wouldn't have paid for it, I'm not complaining either!

So that's my reason why I didn't get the Autobahn package.

VW GTI MkV - Pic
Yamaha YZF-R1 - Pic
Yamaha YZF 426 - Pic

VW Scirocco 16V (sold) - AUTObiography

"Live every day as if it were your last. Learn every day as if you will live forever." - Mohandas Ghandi
TarmacSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
TarmacSpecial
Terror On Two Wheels

Drives: 2008 Volkswagen GTI
Send a message via AIM to TarmacSpecial Send a message via Yahoo to TarmacSpecial
Quote:
They wanted me to trade in my old 97 BMW 328i but they only wanted to pay like 3k for it. I sold it privately for 5k.

Amazing how many E36 owners ended up going to the GTI. I had a '94 325is as my last car. Dealer offered $2500. I ended up selling it for $4k. I loved the car, but it was suffering from classic E36 interior disintegration and needed some serious money thrown at the suspension and bushings/mounts.

VW GTI MkV - Pic
Yamaha YZF-R1 - Pic
Yamaha YZF 426 - Pic

VW Scirocco 16V (sold) - AUTObiography

"Live every day as if it were your last. Learn every day as if you will live forever." - Mohandas Ghandi
TarmacSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
Lolly Baggins
LOL JK!

Drives: 08 Mk5 GTi - Candy White 6SPD
I'd get Autobhan and nothing else, if I was to go GTI again.