GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > DIY + Maintenance + Tips/Tricks
Modded Euros

Old 02-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
TeknoGroover
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Tornado Red GTI MKV
Send a message via AIM to TeknoGroover Send a message via MSN to TeknoGroover Send a message via Yahoo to TeknoGroover
DIY - Forge Atmosheric Blow Off Valve Install

VAG 2.0T Fsi Atmospheric dump valve.
Tools required : - Vehicle ramp or Jack and axle stands.
4mm Allen socket, ratchet, extension.

Warning…be careful not to let any foreign body enter the inlet tract of the vehicle whilst the fitting procedure is being carried out. Severe Turbo and/or engine damage may occur if this is not adhered to.

1/ Raise the vehicle and locate the standard electronic recirculation valve located in the underside of the Turbo intake pipe. Remove the electrical connection as per the larger arrow. Then remove the 3x 5mm cap head bolts as per the smaller arrow. The electrical solenoid valve can now be removed.

2/ Now fit the new atmospheric valve into the aperture left in the turbo by the standard electronic valve. Refit the stock valve over the top of the Forge atmospheric valve and secure using the 3x new m6X35mm cap head bolts.
Refit the electrical connection to the solenoid valve. Remove all tools form the vehicle. You are now ready to use your new Forge Motorsport product.

Engineered for Performance.
Note, Due to the ECU controlled nature of the standard electronic diverter valve you may experience longer than expected operations of the atmospheric valve under certain operating conditions. This is not a fault in any way, the ECU controls the turbo pressure via the solenoid valve in order to improve driveability and soften the take up of power. In the same way you may also experience non operation of the valve under enthusiastic gear changes, this is also not a fault. It is determined by the ECU that the recirculation is not required at this point due to the rapid re-appliance of the throttle.

FROM FORGEMOTORSPORT.COM

Calling All SoCal MKV Owners!

Wanna show your GolfMKV.com Pride on MySpace?

Buy Your GOLFMKV.com shirts and items here!
TeknoGroover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Scotaku
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: .
Are there any performance gains with this gadget or is it just a noisemaker?
Scotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Brandon
Oval Newbie

Drives: .:R32
Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Just a noise maker from what i can tell.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
GTI2007

Drives: '05 UG Golf 5 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotaku
Are there any performance gains with this gadget or is it just a noisemaker?
some guy on an other forum where I regularly come had a gain of 6 HP and 21 lbs-ft after installing this Forge BOV
GTI2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 AM   #5
Michail
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Golf MK5 3d
in Greece however, some others claim that they have had some loss....

I am refering to some posts in www.vwclub.gr
Michail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
GTI2007

With the Forge BOV? Did the guy just let it put in and let changed nothing into the ECU? Cause the guy I speak of has let it install by a chiptuner and propably also let them rewrite the settings in the ECU a little for this BOV
Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #7
Scotaku
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: .
I've looked back into this again. I'm having a hard time believing any measurable gains can be had from increasing the gap of the stock boost recirculation valve as this trinket does. When closed, boost levels will be identical unless some of the firmware has been altered as suggested. When open, this gadget will allow excess boost to vent into open air making a cute noise, but little else. Actually, instead of venting back into the turbo as the original design specifies, the lost boost will probably induce the turbo to stall... and require more from the engine to overcome lag.

Yep. Noisemaker.
Scotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
black2.0t
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: black magic pkg 2
the whole point of a BOV to stop back boost, when you get on the gas and then let off to shift the throttle is closed so the remaining boost inside the intake pipe needs to be released through the BOV, you may lose power because the gti was made to use this remaining boost and not release it, this really reduces turbo lag, the 2.0T was designed around the turbo
black2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
GTI2007

If the throttle valve closes when the engine is in overrun (when you let go of the accelerator or shift into an other gear), back pressure develops in the turbo housing. Back pressure reduces the speed of the turbine, which reduces boost pressure and increases turbo lag when the engine accelerates again. To avoid this, the turbo recirculating valve (sort of diverter valve) is opened. This allows the compressed air to flow back to the intake side of the circuit through the turbine to maintain turbine speed. That's how it normally works but if you increase the amount of intake air by installing a much better intake the turbo recirculating valve could become to small to recirculate all the excessive compressed air and then a BOV comes in handy
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Dubdr
Rally Car Champion

Drives: A5 Jetta, A5 GTi, A1 Rabbit
Send a message via AIM to Dubdr Send a message via MSN to Dubdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2007
If the throttle valve closes when the engine is in overrun (when you let go of the accelerator or shift into an other gear), back pressure develops in the turbo housing. Back pressure reduces the speed of the turbine, which reduces boost pressure and increases turbo lag when the engine accelerates again. To avoid this, the turbo recirculating valve (sort of diverter valve) is opened. This allows the compressed air to flow back to the intake side of the circuit through the turbine to maintain turbine speed. That's how it normally works but if you increase the amount of intake air by installing a much better intake the turbo recirculating valve could become to small to recirculate all the excessive compressed air and then a BOV comes in handy
GREAT POST!!!!

WWW.MYDUBSPACE.COM/DURTYWATERVWS
Dubdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #11
SollyD
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: Black Magic GTI
does anyone have better instructions I cant understand these that well.
SollyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
Dubdr
Rally Car Champion

Drives: A5 Jetta, A5 GTi, A1 Rabbit
Send a message via AIM to Dubdr Send a message via MSN to Dubdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD
does anyone have better instructions I cant understand these that well.
Those are the instructions from Forge, I think. Trust me, once you get under the car it all makes perfect sense.

WWW.MYDUBSPACE.COM/DURTYWATERVWS
Dubdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Sickspeed06
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 06 TR GTi 6spd
i don't know about VW but with my MSprotege the only way to run an atmospheric BOV was to relocate the MAFS to the cold IC pipe. this is because the air that was diverted through the stock unit was recirculated back into the intake AFTER the MAFS. this meant that if you were to run atmospheric blowoff the air was being read by the MAFS but then dumped causing a rich condition and idle bog/stalling/reallyfreakinannoying.

does the same apply to my new GTi? will the atmospheric ventilation cause stalling or anything? i'll see if i can find a picture on my old forum of the mazdaspeed.

now that i look sorry for the ressurected post. i feel like a tard noob!
Sickspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #14
alf
Modwhoreator

Drives: \/ \/\/
Send a message via AIM to alf Send a message via Yahoo to alf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickspeed06 View Post
i don't know about VW but with my MSprotege the only way to run an atmospheric BOV was to relocate the MAFS to the cold IC pipe. this is because the air that was diverted through the stock unit was recirculated back into the intake AFTER the MAFS. this meant that if you were to run atmospheric blowoff the air was being read by the MAFS but then dumped causing a rich condition and idle bog/stalling/reallyfreakinannoying.

does the same apply to my new GTi? will the atmospheric ventilation cause stalling or anything? i'll see if i can find a picture on my old forum of the mazdaspeed.
nice bump of an old post.

this is no way a BOV, its just a space that goes between the Recirvulative valve and the turbo, and it hs a few holes to make the SHHHHHHHH sounds.

thats all.

alf
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #15
Sickspeed06
Touring Car Champion

thanks for the info, so no stalling. i just still think it's be wise not to atmospherically vent air that the MAF is reading. or is it a different electronic signal in VW's?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
alf
Modwhoreator

Drives: \/ \/\/
Send a message via AIM to alf Send a message via Yahoo to alf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickspeed06 View Post
thanks for the info, so no stalling. i just still think it's be wise not to atmospherically vent air that the MAF is reading. or is it a different electronic signal in VW's?
no stlaling at all homey. its all electronic.

we dont even hove an atmospherical official BOV for the GTI.

this is just a spacer, the maf is about 8 inches from the turbo inlet.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #17
Sickspeed06
Touring Car Champion

oooohhh awesome, thanks meng.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:02 AM   #18
DTMRyan
Oval Champion

Drives: DTMAutohaus
we have those in stock 2! =)
DTMRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #19
Neon Guy
Tin Can Racer

Drives: 1998 SPEC Neon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2007 View Post
Thus the reason the diverter valve is located in the turbo housing... allowing instant release of the back pressure.
Neon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #20
Volks
D'crew

Drives: MKV Gti
Send a message via MSN to Volks
Guys..need info on this BOV

So is the forge BOV are overall good for application ? or is just wasting..

Thanks and Rgds'
Volks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #21
gillm
Go Kart Champion

Drives: mk5 gti
i had one on my car , ended up taking it off and putting it on ebay . sounded gay and did my head in

mk5 gti revo stage 2 , 19" bbs ch's , newsouth boost guage , neuspeed p-flow filter . and done the nurburgring .
mk1 16v on twin 40's
gillm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #22
Mike@Forge
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Send a message via AIM to Mike@Forge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
So is the forge BOV are overall good for application ? or is just wasting..

Thanks and Rgds'
There are NO negative effects from the use of our spacer. We've done data logs, dyno runs, and various tests, none of which resulted in any adverse affects on the engine.

We've sold thousands of units worldwide to date. No issues reported thus far.
Mike@Forge is offline   Reply With Quote