GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 vs. GT2871

Jayrockstar

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering a turbo upgrade, and with lots of talk between the k04 and BT upgrades, I thought this graph would shed some light on the different powerband characteristics each turbo gives. I overlayed the dyno graphs on APR's site to show how the different upgrades would change our GTIs. The green and yellow lines are baselines, and the red and blue are the upgrades. Gotta look closely, but the faded red and blue lines are the GT2871's stats and the darker lines are the K04 stats.
Observations: I think this one graph illustrates clearly how different the animals we create with the turbo selection. GTIs are famous for our fat, early torque band, and it looks like the K04 keeps that in check. Nowhere in the powerband is there a compromise in torque or hp. Looks like the hard pulling, very drivable at any RPM GTI's we are all used to, with much more up top as a bonus. With the BT upgrade, things change a bit. You can clearly see a sacrifice in low end torque for a top end blast. Compared to the K04, it looks like up to 50 wheel hp and 100 ft/lbs of wheel torque are sacrificed up to 4000 RPMs where the GT goes ballistic. It then has a table top torque curve from 4K to 6.25K where hp barely falls off at redline.
Conclusions: Totally a matter of driver tastes. The K04 looks like a great selection to me. Seems that these number could be a bit low considering the fuel and intercooling options that could bump the numbers up a bit. I do drive my car up to 400 miles per week, for business, and plan on keeping it for a long time, so longevity is an issue for me. I like the idea that I don't have to wring the car out to see the huge gains the GT2871 gives. I can only imagine that the GT30 graph would only exacerbate the sacrifice in the low RPMs for the top-- not to mention the struggles in trying to get the power to the ground. Don't get me wrong...the lure of all that power is completely intoxicating. For me, I think until my GTI is not a daily driver, the true BT options are not an option for me.

But, I can't wait until she isn't!:thumbup:

Attachments

• APR K04 VS. BT.jpg
    APR K04 VS. BT.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 1,132

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
dam sick write up.... thanks man

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Nice write up thanks. I was so amazed by the power numbers from the GT28 that I had all but dismissed the KO4, but now I think I'm leaning toward to KO4. Thanks again.

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
If its a ported KO3 with KO4 internals what would the benifit be in using a standard KO4 if the internals are the same?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Larger freer flowing exhaust manifold on the s3 k04 as well as a larger compressor outlet. I'm also not sure if it uses the s3 k04 internals... or some other k04 parts from the borg-warner parts bin. That's just what I've been told/gathered in a few other posts.