GOLFMKV

RE001 - Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
RE001 – Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin

Tyre:
The RE001 have been developed with an asymmetrical tread pattern. The inside of the tread has a twin rib for sharp, smooth response and stability. The centre right of the tyre have a 3D centre block with a mutli-curved slant groove for a sporty feel and added wet weather grip. The outside of the tyre has a harder tread block with a semi-slick shoulder tread to maximize cornering grip for on-the-limit driving.

The RE001 asymmetrical design is said to be better suited to performance vehicles that run loads of negative camber (I.e. lowered vehicles). The Goodyear Eagle F1 has recently moved to an asymmetrical tread pattern. The asymmetrical pattern helps maintain grip and stability by placing a larger footprint onto the roadway.

Cost:
$290 – 17inch * 45 * 225
$330 – 18inch * 40 * 225

Drive impressions:

After 500km of mixed city, motorway and tight twisty driving, it is clearly obvious that the Bridgestone RE001 is a very different beast relative to the Continental Contact Sport 2 that comes as OEM on the VW Golf GTI.

In comparison the Contis CS2 have very good straight line stability consummate with the high European Autobahn speeds encountered in Deutschland. The Contis CS2 are very abrupt when pushing towards the limit. This is evident when the rear of the GTI lets go, it really works the suspension having the rear end dancing around like its hitting the bumps stop when at maximum attack. Similar story with the front end; when under steer sets in, its there to stay on steady state corners on a constant throttle opening.

The RE001 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin feels to be a softer rubber composition. The RE001 offer more yaw initially. Yaw is the slippage front or rear (I.e. oversteer/understeer). RE001 feel as if they begin to slide earlier than the Conti CS2. But as the CS2 really let go; pressing on with the RE001 tyres indicate that they are progressive when approaching the limit of adhesion. The tyres loose grip but as you continue to push, they come back to offer more grip. Its like having a two dimensional tyre in one in that they offer you some progressive fun when on the inner side of the asymmetrical tread; but as things become serious and the tyre loads up on the its most outer side semi-slick edge, grip returns. It really makes it fun and safe for a street driven vehicle. On the limit handling caters for all experience levels making GTI more controllable and responsive to inputs as opposed to the Conti CS2. Tightening or loosening your line is an easier task with the RE001 when pushing on.

As a result the RE001 offer added oversteer compared to the CS2 which are predominately understeer based when nearing the limit. RE001 allow the car to track your movements to a higher degree enabling you to follow your intended line more accurately. Much more so than the Conti CS2 which tends to drift wide on early throttle openings out of a corner. RE001 maintain a tight line right way out of corner exit; sometimes too much with an over steer bias, but never dangerously so.

The added oversteer element introduced by the RE001 has me reconsidering the need for a larger rear H&R sway bar (currently run 22mm solid H&R bar). They make that much difference to the on the limit driving.

Having been conditioned to the CS2 when choosing lines through corners relative to steering angle; I found that the Bridgestone RE001 require less steering angle to maintain a tight line through a sweeping corner. This tendency increases as speeds in corners rise. Especially at and after apex of the turn. Initially I found that RE001 offered too tight a line for brisk cornering; but have since adjusted my driving style and steering inputs to compensate for the added on-the-limit grip.

When the rear end wants to break away and do its little dance with the RE001, the gyrations up and down as the heavier and tighter rear sway bar transfers lateral load between the rear wheels, result is less abrupt up and down movement of the springs (Yes – bigger sways bars work springs & dampers harder and cause wear sooner – that’s why its good to replace all three as a matched set). This is a sure indication that the on limit the Bridgestone RE001 is more progressive than the Conti CS2. This is good news for the street or novice driver. Its no fun having a car snap back at you went pushing on.

The Continental CS2 feel better for straight line freeway/motorway driving as they feel more direct and a communicative up to 7/10ths. Beyond this the RE001 are into their own, once the tyre loads up on its outside semi-slick tread pattern, the RE001 are a bit like having half a Conti CS2 and half a semi-slick and seemed to be a good match for the Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality of the progressive rate Eibach ProKit springs and Koni FSD fitted to the VW Golf.

With limited time in the wet weather on the RE001, they seem comparable with the Conti CS2. Both easily break loose in 1st gear in greasy conditions. Both hook up well in 2nd gear max throttle inputs; although the RE001 seem a tad grippier from 2nd gear onwards in the wet.

Braking indicates that the RE001 offers more grip with ABS cutting in less than the CS2; but to be fair to the Conti CS2, RE001 are on 18inch wheels that are also heavier.

RE001 noise levels are lower than CS2 with exception of coarse bitumen roadway where I still undecided.

When comparing the cost of the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001 –v- Continental CS2. There is no comparison. Contis CS2 retail for about $440-$490 in 18” and RE001 for $330 ($280-290 for 17” RE001).

The Contis may offer more tread life – 35,000-40,000km as opposed to RE001 30,000km; but only time will tell.

For performance only: I’d rate Continental Contact Sport 2 – 7/10; Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001 - 8/10. If you include price into the equation: Conti CS2 – 7/10 and Bridgestone RE001 – 9/10.

I’d recommend the Bridgestone RE001 for anyone considering a budget performance tyre. Some would say that they are a stripped down version (performance only) of the Bridgestone RE050 (performance & comfort) seen as OEM on many high end performance vehicles like Mercedes AMG or HSV.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Wheels - 18 inch / 8 inch / ET45 offset RS6 reps

The 18” wheel is heavier than the 17” OEM Denver Golf GTI wheel. This affects both handling and grip.

The extra weight of the wheel works the suspension harder. In my case; the Eibach Prokit/Koni FSD/H&R sway bar combination installed in my GTI has developed a compliancy and refinement consummate with what you are likely to find in a sports euro saloon.

The OEM 17” wheels tended to toss you like a salad at lower speeds with you head jostling from side to side. The weight induced suppleness makes the Golf feel like its now a class above coming closer to that of the R32 Golf for ride (R32 has more drive; but mine handles better IMO). Car still has the same good handling dynamics and feels to have some more stability at the lower centre of gravity. The rear inside wheel tends to lift a bit less often due to heavier wheels; especially driving into the service station or my driveway at low speed.

I’m now sure that the Koni-FSD/Eibach ProKit combination was designed with an 18” wheel in mind.

The heavier 18” wheel and lower profile tyre offer less wheel spin from standing start, out of tight corners and limits anti-lock braking control intervention. It’s a matter of physics I guess; the bigger the heavier the wheel; the more inertia it takes it to move forward or slow down.

The GTI is probably a slower car point to point than it was with OEM 17” wheels; but I would gladly trade some performance off for refinement and less wheel spin. Besides – having a stock motor/ECU – straight line performance is not my thing – each to their own in this regard.

The wider offset of 18” @ ET45 as opposed to the OEM 17” @ ET51 has pushed the wheels out an additional 6mm. 8 inch wide adds that to the extra ½” or 6mm each side of wheel and you have +12mm sticking out of the guard. The 225/40/18 brings this in by about -3mm = giving you about +9mm extra street credibility – in other words, “The pimp factor”.

The ‘Pimp Factor’ is not the only benefit of having a wider track. A wider track improves handling. A Ferrari is wider than a Ford Falcon and shorter than a Ford Laser. Many race and exotic vehicles have a short wheel base relative to track width. This increases stability; but car can become less forgiving on the limit. Rather than the big wide power slide arcs you commonly see with the long wheel base cars like the Commodore and Falcon V8 brute racing utes. Very forgiving.

The negative aspect of the increased ET offset is the rubbing on the front screw and flange on the inside of the top inner fender of the VW Golf. Occasionally I would receive a rub with OEM 17” wheels coupled with my sports suspension set-up. Only on 15kph hairpin corners with bump/pot mid corners causing suspension to bottom out. Now it occurs much more often when striking pot holes/bumps mid corner with loaded suspension or under heavy braking on downhill runs. Smooth level or uphill bitumen is fine – no apparent rubbing.

Removing the top inner mudguard screw indicates that the front tyre still impacts with the flange connected to the wheel arch of the front quarter panels. There is no problem when the VW GTI bottoms out completely with front wheels in straight ahead position. It only occurs when some steering angle is applied as the flange inside the top of the front fender is touched by the turning outside tyres. There doesn’t appear to be any problems in the rear; but to be absolutely sure you would have to test 5 adult occupants and full luggage on board driving on a rough roadway like the Royal National Park south of Sydney.

This rubbing is unacceptable and arrangements will be made to have front inner panel work to the flange and screw; and if need be – slightly pumping the guards up to 5mm outwards (hopefully not).

Panel work will be performed by Francois Jouy – the original Dent Buster – 8/80 Box Road, Taren Point.

French Francois and his Balkan bred offsider Zoron are simply the best in the business for prestige panel repair, dent removal and hail damage. I have friends in the panel/body works industry; but still opt for Francois to perform the work.

Many high end prestige vehicles that are bumped off the boat or truck go to Francois. Never tell the difference from new. He uses a UV light and special tools either brought in from France or made to specification hear in Australia.

Keep you posted on result of the minor panel work.

Cheers
WJ

Jaymz

Ready to race!
Yes great write up, thanx James. Definately keep us posted on the guard modifications. When will you be doing this?

I ended up putting 19's on mine and after 2 short drives pushing around a roundabout, they only just scrub in the rear. Was considering pulling them off Wednesday/Thursday to have 3mm machined out of them. This will be a costly job as i now have to remove and refit tyres.
Can you ask if there is anything minor that can be done to the rear guards? as i'm sure there will be others here with the same problem.

Cheers

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Why not just roll out the guards WhiteJames?
Unless you wanted to keep the "pimp"?

Nice writeup.
Only a small 2c - i always wonder how much of these "differences" are attributed to comparing new tyre to quite worn old tyre....
Will be interesting to check wear as well, especially against GMC's CSC3's.

Tiny Gti

Banned
Car(s)
05 GTI MKV DSG 5DR
Why not just roll out the guards WhiteJames?
Unless you wanted to keep the "pimp"?

Nice writeup.
Only a small 2c - i always wonder how much of these "differences" are attributed to comparing new tyre to quite worn old tyre....
Will be interesting to check wear as well, especially against GMC's CSC3's.

If the adrenalin's are anything like the S-O3's they are replacing then they should hold the grip right through the tyre wear, cant say the same for conti's. Conti's are such an over rated tyre, still cant beleive the way some go on about them.

Nice tyre choice by the way James... wheels look good too, but hey im kinda biased.....LOL :thumbup:

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
If the adrenalin's are anything like the S-O3's they are replacing then they should hold the grip right through the tyre wear, cant say the same for conti's. Conti's are such an over rated tyre, still cant beleive the way some go on about them.

Nice tyre choice by the way James... wheels look good too, but hey im kinda biased.....LOL :thumbup:

The reason the contis are in is mostly because they are the cheapest to buy in bulk for VW comparing to say Michelin and Pirelli. One should not use the OE fitment as the reason to buy certain tyres for vehicles unless they are the specific tuned version e.g. Pirelli for DBS, Ferrari.

A while ago Motor did a test on the OE fitment vs aftermarket tyres for the M3 and also have the same results.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Dent Buster: Advice indicated that there was nothing they could do. The guard is so thin that rolling out the guard is not an option. It would also weaken the guard substantially. Bending back the lip/flange that holds the top innner front fender plastic lining in place is a 'no go' also - Bending this would cause a crease on the out edge of the arch of the guard. Given that the tyre rubs on the flange and top screw - a slightly smaller & flatter screw would improve the noise; but tyre would then rub against plastic burning a hole into it when on maximum attack. This would cause water, dirt & leaves to enter into the guard not to mention spoil the inner sound deadening material. I was very disapointed to hear this advice - I made my way to South Strathfield for further advice re wheels.

Neale Wheels:
Located at 30 Gould Street, South Strathfield just behind McDonalds - they machine wheel hub amongst suppling wheels and tyres wholesale. I enquired about the viability of shaving 3mm which is generally within tolerance of the RS6 Audi rep wheels. There were deliberations about whether moving the wheel 3mm inside the wheel well would leave enough clearance on the innner side. Remember that the RS6 rep is an 8inch wheel adding 12mm with an offset of a further +6mm. There is only so much room under the guard of the Golf - I can understand why the factory doesn't super size the wheels from factory. Regulations state that all wheels have to be the same offset and wheel spacers in NSW state are illegal according to RTA. Shave front wheels and you have to shave rear wheels to match. Neale Wheels had to see the wheels when off the vehicle; preferably all 4 wheels with tyres removed to check and complete job. There is still no guarantee that this would solve the problem as others with 18/8/ET48 had rubbing issues. The rubing occured wheel front wheels turning into a corner. The more they turn; the more likely it will impact with the flange & screw. Neale Wheels suggested that I return to ABI and air my grievances. So off to the supplier of the wheel - ABI.

ABI - High Performance Wheels & Tyres: I purchased the wheels from ABI. Rani @ ABI was informed of the issues I was facing. No more Royal National Park GTG cruises due to too much wheel rubbing. My beloved GTI was reduced to a city cruiser pimp mobile. ABI indicated that past issues with tyre rub involved guys that had purchased the 19"/8"/ET42-45 due to the requirement of the much larger 235/35 tyre to meet or exceed the statutory load rating.

Issues with the 18"/8"/ET45 had not previously been reported to ABI. Maybe no other previous client drives on winding roadways causing supension to bottom out mid corner like I do.

I suggested to Rani @ ABI Wheels that the most fitting tyre for all types of conditions & loads would be the same size as the R32 wheel - 18/7.5/ET50-51. ABI had only two wheels in stock of that size: (1) GTI 18" huffs/denver/monza (OEM wheels have 3 different names depending on which continent you live on); (2) R32 old style wheel - 20 spoke.

ABI offered to take back the RS6 Audi reps I purchased as a trade. They offered the full price of $1200 that I paid for a trade in on a more suitable alternative wheel. I traded the RS6 reps for the same money I paid for them and forked out another $600 to purchase the OEM huffs/denver/monza in 18/7.5/ET51. $1800 for the OEM denver 18" was wholesale price direct from ABI when group buy was going.

Changing over the tyres and wheel balance cost was covered by ABI. I purchased the OEM GTI look huffs today and they were fitted by Versace Automotive Services & Repairs, cnr of Canterbury & Canary Rds, Roselands same day.

So now I have OEM GTI in 18inch with a machined finish and shadow paint in the inlay of the 5 holes and behind the wheel. The huffs are made by the same company that makes them for VW and look exactly like the 18inch I've seen in Briton and Continental Europe (probably USA also).

The polished outer and shadow grey base of apertures & rear section contrast well with the black/white effect of the paint, black trims and tinted windows.

The 2nd set of new wheels do not look at great as the Audi RS6 reps - but they do look much better than the OEM 17inch and maintain that stock look. I found with the RS6 reps every man and his WRX/EVO wanted to drag me at the lights - not looking for this type of attention thankyou.

Now I can rest assured that my GTI will be back on track for GTG cruise and suspension tests.

Thanks to Rani @ ABI.

Please note: - The replica wheels as shown on Tempe Tyres website are no longer ABI wheels. They are apparently sourced from another supplier and ABI have ceased to have any dealings with Tempe Tyres whatsoever. ABI are direct importers for ABI Wheels in Italy and their products are quality made Italian items.

Cheers
WJ

Last edited:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Oh yeah - a special thanks to TinyGTI, Mikenbn and Jules for putting me onto ABI and for showing and telling me about the RS6 reps. They still are one of the best looking wheels around. Maybe next time if I buy an Audi.
Cheers
WJ

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
i had fun reading your review so i went and purchased a set (4) Pirelli P-Zero Rosso :thumbup: they feel good already and i have only done 22km :biggrin:

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Will be interesting to see if there are any issues with rubbing, as so many of our american cousins have them on their cars. You would assume that being OEM they would not rub, but home many people drive windy roads like we have to in oz (especially adding in B-grade roads too - NSW is the worst!!)

bert

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW I run an 18x8 ET 45 with 25mm drop and have no rubbing since I removed the screw and folded the tab back towards the guard liner. No creases, no cracking. Perfect - try it

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Wow, that was a quick turnaround. I thought you knew there would be a chance of rubbing with the size you went for? Lucky Rani was so generous.

So do the Hufs also weigh more than the stock 17's...

Last edited:

J_u_l_e_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW
Wow, that's a surprise! Shame the RS6's didn't fit as you had your heart set on them. I didn't realise the Eibach/FSD kits lowered the front that much to cause so much grief. You hear people in the States who are lowered running identical sized wheels (eg. OZ ultras have the same spec 18x8 ET45) who don't rub, even when driven hard.

Matt's got 19s on his KW2s....I wonder if he rubs?

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Shit James you should get paid by the word mate!! Good write up!!