GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had a Pressure Limiting Valve (High Pressure Fuel Rail) failure?

crabphir

Ready to race!
Wondering if others have had the same problem with the Pressure Limiting Valve 06D-130-757C failing or acting poorly?

My story...I had the APR Fuel Pump installed back in Dec 07 and my car ran roughly 10 min before it died and left me stranded. See my previous thread: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34616

Now for the rest of the story….. after 5 weeks in the shop at the dealer; the problem turned out to be a Pressure Limiting Valve 06D-130-757C. The dealer changed nearly every fuel system related part (even the high pressure fuel pump) until they determined the problem was the fuel returning back into the low pressure side. (Oh my stock fuel pump was back on the vehicle and mum on the APR Fuel pump.) Very painful experience.

Background info - I had not noticed any fuel related issues with my car before adding the APR Fuel pump...I just wanted more HP! I was running APR stage 2+ and thought I might have felt a few fuel cuts but nothing significant. My conclusion after studying the 2.0T fuel system and repair manual was that the APR Fuel Pump possibly damaged the pressure limiting valve open after one punch WOT.

These mechanical check valves are designed to open at 1,740psi (120 bar) which is only 10% higher than the max output of the stock fuel pump (1,595psi or 110 bar) and dump the fuel back into the low pressure side. If this valve fails no high pressure can be generated.

Beware...I am not sure if its worth upgrading to a APR Fuel Pump if this valve is not upgraded as well.....just my opinion.

crew219

Banned
Wondering if others have had the same problem with the Pressure Limiting Valve 06D-130-757C failing or acting poorly?

My story...I had the APR Fuel Pump installed back in Dec 07 and my car ran roughly 10 min before it died and left me stranded. See my previous thread: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34616

Now for the rest of the story….. after 5 weeks in the shop at the dealer; the problem turned out to be a Pressure Limiting Valve 06D-130-757C. The dealer changed nearly every fuel system related part (even the high pressure fuel pump) until they determined the problem was the fuel returning back into the low pressure side. (Oh my stock fuel pump was back on the vehicle and mum on the APR Fuel pump.) Very painful experience.

Background info - I had not noticed any fuel related issues with my car before adding the APR Fuel pump...I just wanted more HP! I was running APR stage 2+ and thought I might have felt a few fuel cuts but nothing significant. My conclusion after studying the 2.0T fuel system and repair manual was that the APR Fuel Pump possibly damaged the pressure limiting valve open after one punch WOT.

These mechanical check valves are designed to open at 1,740psi (120 bar) which is only 10% higher than the max output of the stock fuel pump (1,595psi or 110 bar) and dump the fuel back into the low pressure side. If this valve fails no high pressure can be generated.

Beware...I am not sure if its worth upgrading to a APR Fuel Pump if this valve is not upgraded as well.....just my opinion.

The self study manual is incorrect. It opens at 130 bar, not 120. When the self study manual was created, there was an earlier part revision that opened at 120bar but the C valve and all subsequent valves opened at 130bar.

And no . . . . the APR fuel pump didn't kill it by hitting 130 bar.

Dave

crew219

Banned
So was it just a coincidence? Do these valves fail often?

I've been running 130 bar fueling for over 1 year and i've had zero issues.

Dave

crew219

Banned
Does the APR Fuel Pump just increase capacity not pressure?

The physical changes in the fuel pump increase the amount of fuel that is displaced into the fuel rail. The programming controls the pressure.

Dave

2zzge

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
the fuel delivery system in our cars...to put it simply...SUCKS!

so yes. its isn't unheard of to have a pressure regulator, filter, pump(s), cam, sensors, etc...or any combination there of, go south on us.

put APR's pump back on your car and have fun man. :biggrin:

crew219

Banned
If the computer comtrols the fuel rail pressure why not just increase injector size?

Because the stock pump is already maxed out at 110 bar for stock injectors.

By increasing the rail pressure, you can inject the same amount of fuel with lower injector timings, or you can inject more fuel with the same injector timings.

Dave

spongebobnopants

Ready to race!
So was it just a coincidence? Do these valves fail often?

Well the valve failed for a reason. IMO, If you were to WOT for a bit while APR SW is requesting ~130bar and your pump is delivering ~130bar, but the valve starts bleeding at ~125bar or so, and you suddenly let off the gas, the pressure quickly rises and can't get through the already taxied relief valve something has to give. I wonder if that extra pressure damaged your cam or cam follower, did they inspect that?

crew219

Banned
Well the valve failed for a reason. IMO, If you were to WOT for a bit while APR SW is requesting ~130bar and your pump is delivering ~130bar, but the valve starts bleeding at ~125bar or so, and you suddenly let off the gas, the pressure quickly rises and can't get through the already taxied relief valve something has to give. I wonder if that extra pressure damaged your cam or cam follower, did they inspect that?

More garbage from SB :rolleyes:

Thanks for digging up old threads to find new ways to bash APR. Before you post next, perhaps you may want to take into consideration that the 110bar fueling + AT pump places greater stresses on the cam than 130 bar tuning on the stock pump. By your reasoning, any aftermarket pump is much more detrimental to the cam.

Dave

2zzge

Banned
Car(s)
GTI

dude, everyone (including me) has asked you to stop being so immature...asinine really.
if it makes you feel any better, just send harassing e-stank directly to apr. i'm sure they'd love to keep hearing from you everyday.

doing it here however, is needless. simply stop now plz.

:wink:

spongebobnopants

Ready to race!
dude, everyone (including me) has asked you to stop being so immature...asinine really.
if it makes you feel any better, just send harassing e-stank directly to apr. i'm sure they'd love to keep hearing from you everyday.

doing it here however, is needless. simply stop now plz.

:wink:
Take some time to think about my statement above. The truth will surface very soon!