GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni FSD,Eibach ProKit, H&R Anti Roll Bars

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Golf GTI MKV Suspension upgraded in 3 stages.

A little on dynamics of each set-up.

Stock GTI suspension:
Sachs dampers/24mm front & 22mm (hollow) rear bar/stock springs:
Ride at lower speeds felt choppy and ride at higher speeds a little bouncy - due to softer damping. Ride in mid-range OK. Ride on rougher B-grade roads somewhat punishing. Avoid pot holes, if possible to give more comfort to kidneys and preserve tooth fillings. Found that I tended to slow vehicle on rougher B-grade roads to maintain some comfort cruising. Hard driving resulted in continued stabs at the wheels through sweeping corners to fight the understeer of stock set-up. Visibly see outside front tyre walls worked hard as outside front camber change occures through hard cornering. Journalist have noticed this also. Driving hard & fast sometimes tiresome due to need to fight understeer. A positive of the stock set is that it is forgiving, and fun to balance the vehicle via the throttle mid corner (ie: lit off oversteer to a degree).

Koni FSD dampers ($1,350):
Koni FSD are a brand new product in Australia. They are standard fittment on Lamborgini Gallardo. They have an internal valve with makes them firm on smooth roads for performance driving, and soft when striking bumps/pot holes on rough roads. Best of both worlds in one damper without need for expensive and heavy electronic or air suspension systems. Had reservations about whether Koni FSD would be firm enough for my spirited driving or firmer than stock items. They are definitely firmer. After installing the Koni FSD dampers, vehicle lifted in the rear about 5-10mm (9mm left rear - 5mm right rear - front unchanged). Generally most shocks with settle to within 5mm of vehicles original ride height.

Koni FSD made GTI feel like it sat lower to the ground. Koni FSD improved the understeer of the stock set-up. Less continued stabs at the steering wheel to fight the inherent understeer biased Golf chassis. Hard driving reveals that Koni FSD depress about 1 inch then hold the vehicle up. Like some one wedging a chock into the springs. My confidence to throw the GTI around dramatically improved. Koni FSD definitely firmer than stock items (about 15% stiffer). Striking bumps/pot holes mid corner did not unsettle the car. Driving over patchwork/pot holes/bumps on one side of the roadway would only activate the softerning valve on that side, keeping the car straight, rather than bouncing it offline. Noticeable improvement in inner front wheel spin with need for traction control 50% reduced.

The softening valve in the Koni-FSD feels like it does not open up until about 45-50kph; not until you encounter a significant bump/pot hole. As speeds rise and vehicle impacts with pot holes/broken sections of tarmac, the valve opens up to give you that silky smooth trade mark Koni ride, like being on standard Koni Reds I imagine (softening aobut 10-15% softer than stock dampers - but not as soft as comfortline Golf). Bilstein dampers (originally under consideration) are 25% stiffer and in my opinion, would be too firm for stock GTI springs.

The reason, apparently for the rear end lift with Koni FSD is that the rears are higher pressure relative to the front dampers - pushing the vehicle forwards to give maxium front end grip. With stock items, and 3-4 persons on board, weight would transfer rearwards, causing front wheels to spin easily.

The softening valve generally doesn't open hitting minor undulations in roadway - only bigger bumps. I am very impressed with Koni FSD's and consider them to be well worth the price.

Negatives of Koni FSD dampers - they are valved a little too firm for stock GTI springs. Can feel some of the minor undulations on freeway, that were not noticeable with stock Sachs units. The lift at the rear, which did settle a few mm after a while. Koni brochure states that FSD's will work with stock springs, but not ideally, as I found out. Enter stage 2.

Stage 2:
Eibach ProKit Springs ($605.00)
Eibach are a repsectable German Brand. I considered either Eibach ProKit or H&R OEM Sports Springs, but went with Eibach. Why? (1) Eibach appear to have some sort of product & reasearch agreement with KONI; (2) They appeared to lower the GTI about 5mm more than H&R according to website (3) Eibach springs are usually a tad softer then H&R (H&R are German also and R32 had them as stock items from factory).

The Ride with Koni FSD and Eibach ProKit was suprising better than stock or stock with FSD's. More sway, pitch and swat reduced with Eibach springs. They are progressive springs, meaning that they are softer for first part of travel, before becoming progressively harder and they compress. Found with stock items that 4 adults in car softened up suspension. Eibach settle down into there harder spring rate with more load on board.

GTI lowered 20mm at front and 12-14mm. German springs are designed to lower car front to rear equally, provided that you have 4 adults on board, full tank of full, and some luggage, other German springs will almost always (except race springs) be higher at rear and lower at front.

Springs would be about 15% stiffer than stock item at their hardest (difficult to measure due to their progressive nature). They are an ideal fit for Koni FSD (although I reserve my judgement until I try a GTI with H&R OEM Sports springs).

Lower centre of gravity helped handling on the limit. Due to the progressive nature of the springs, I felt that it took the first entry part of the corner for the Eibach ProKit to settle onto their harder spring rate. Once at apex, the springs would go hard, and you launch out of the corner. Its almost like the Golf GTI had a split personality from corner entry/apex/exit. Car was still forgiveable at limit and still throttle adjustable mid corner. Unintended emergency stops hard on the brakes reveal bugger all pitch. Car stayed firm with minimal dive. Impressive. Still some body sway/roll in hard driving conditions though.

Negatives of Eibach ProKit (or any progressive rate springs) - The coils at the bottom of the spring are spaced widely and the top coils have minimal spacing which acts basically as a filler so the springs do not pop out at full extension. Due to this type of design, I have been told that you receive spring slapping, where the top of the larger (bottom end) spaced coil impacts with the top (narrow filler) coil, causing a metallic crashing sound on pot holes. A loss of some refinement as opposed to stock linear springs. I have my springs sleeved - which involves putting some type of plastic/rubber around coil so when the metal impacts, it hits the rubber, reducing the metallic crashing noise. GTI still wore the front outside edges of the front tyres due to mid-corner camber change. Stock anti roll bars felt that they did not work as effectively as did did with stock springs. I felt Golf GTI could be further improved with addition of stiffer bars. Enter stage 3.

Stage 3:
H&R Anti Roll Bars (26mm/22mm) ($890.00).
H&R is a top quality German Company. Everything H&R is imported from Germany. H&R make a bigger set of bars (28mm/24mm). Both sets are sold in pairs and you cannot mix and match. They are 2 x adjustable (hard/soft). The hardest setting on the smaller bar is softer than the softest setting on the bigger bars. H&R bars come with no need to oil Telfon bushes that should be quieter in operation. I considered Eibach Bars (26mm/23mm - $1045) with polyurethene bushes that may squeak and may require oiling to reduce noise. So I went for the smaller H&R bars. They are on their softer setting (soft/hard). Whiteline only make a rear bar ($220-$250) which will aid the reduction in understeer & turn-in, but may make the steering crispness of GTI a bit more doughy. The front bar is 2mm thicker than stock. The rear is same size, but solid rather then hollow.

The bars reduced the split personally of the GTI from corner entry to exit. They feel like they have added weight to the bottom of the vehicle, keeping it planted more firmly down. On smooth roadways, I feel as if they could be put on their harder setting. On rougher roads like broken concrete or rough B-grade roads, the softer setting is enough. In tight twisting driving, mountainous roads or hill climbs, I would probably put the rear bar on hard and front on soft to improve turn and further reduce understeer.

GTI has lost some of it's fun throttle adjustability in mid corner. It is now a sharper instrument, moving closer to what you would expect from a race prepared car. On limit, vehicle is less forgiving. Understeer further reduced and front tyres wear more evenly due to less mid-corner camber change. Handling limits have dramatically improved and hard/fast driving has become an ease. Point, and there she goes. Before, you have some time delay weighting for weight to transfer (ie: body sway). Single wheel bumps have become more noticeable, only marginally. Ride in town is firmer. ARB's have not made ride rougher, just reacts more quickly to undulations/pot holes.

Advantage of Eibach ProKit Springs & H&R bars is that they are both black in colour & look stock.

If I had one choice as to which of these items (only one) I could have out of the three - Koni FSD dampers would be my first choice.

Pics & extra reviews :

See post #109 of this thread.

Cheers
White James
Sydney, Australia

Last edited:

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Awesome write up man. You can actually buy a complete kit of the Koni FSDs and the Eibach springs so they definitely work well together.
Someone else on here let Whiteline measure up their whole car so the complete set of bits shouldn't bee too far away... i can get them for at least 10% cheaper than the cheapest price you listed... makes for a hard choice though given the proven parts of Eibach and H&R but stupid prices, vs Whiteline who don't have the international name as much... but are 1/3-1/2 of the price!

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
I put the suspension kit together myself in three stages as an exercise in suspension tech. Wanted to find out how each item affected handling to GTI. Research mainly on website - tech articles, forums, brand websites both local & overseas, and some experience.

Any suspension mechanic/firm can put together a package for you. In Europe & USA, Koni FSD/Eibach ProKit are sold off the self as kits. That's because they work so well together and are probably developed for one another.

East Coast Suspension has a direct import arrangement with H&R from Germany as H&R do not have an Australia distrubution centre in (Eibach does - Mona Vale - NSW).

Prices in Sydney is a bit like real estate in that city. Everything is more expensive - this includes labour cost. Labour to do springs & dampers in Canberra will cost you $290 (Captial Steering & Suspension). Cost in Sydney is $350-$400 (East Coast Suspension or Heasmans Steering).

Koni FSD were a brand new item when I fitted them. They may of come down in price by about $100. Take off another $100 I guess if you live in city other than Sydney. Be aware that when some quote prices for springs & bars, they may be quoting price GST excluded (+10%). Price of springs in Canberra cost more than in Sydney due to freight ($625). Prices generally rising due to cost of metal all around world. First price for H&R bars was $850. Went up in 2 months when purchased (EIbach bars also went up $990-$1045).

Anything imoported from Germany will cost you an arm & leg. Generally german parts (including new cars) will cost you 50% to 100% more. With the german items, you know you are getting sorted equipment. The laws in Germany are very strict (TUV approved)- that's why German springs will always lower car more at front than rear when vehicle is unladen. They compensate for added weight. H&R provide standard springs and research springs for VW - Germany, so they are well acquainted with each other. A german TUV certificate comes with the items which makes it automatically legal and meets safety requirements (excluding height which you need to check on yourself).

My suspension guy - David Falson at www.eastcoastsuspension.com.au is not always the cheapest, but his service is great. He specializes in Porsches - half of which are race cars including GT3 Carrara Cup cars. He advised me that Aussie items are good for Holden/Ford, but when dealing with German brands, always go for the top end German stuff.

Koni FSD will not work with sports springs. The most you can lower your standard car is about 35mm. GTI is 15mm lower than stock Golf, so about 20-25mm would be as low as you would go with Koni-FSD. They are designed for ProKit or H&R OEM Sport Spring (H&R lowers car about 15-20 also).

If you buy the whole package at once, you should also be able to receive a better price.

If you are considering changing the dampers, definetly change the springs. Find the most suited springs for your dampers. In other words, build your suspension around your dampers. Stiffer springs & softer dampers will only wear out your shocks a lot quicker. You will find this if you put stiffer springs with stock dampers. Dampers will go in 20-40,000km. Once you have put in dampers/springs - you will have a better idea of what type of bars to use.

Changing just one bar at the rear may introduce some unwanted tendencies in your car chassis set-up. I think it better to go for the complete front & rear kit, which basically means purchasing a German item.

The roll/sway, pitch & sqwat has been dramatically reduced from standard, without compromising low speed ride, and dramatically improved high speed and rough road ride. GTI sits nice and flat in turns and through roundabouts.

Found with stock items, I was continually lifting off in roundabouts to compensate for understeer. Commodores with FE2 factory sports suspension were sitting much flatter in switchbacks when I had stock suspension. That's no longer the case.

Long-term, you will not be dispointed with Koni-FSD/Eibach set up. After a long day in the saddle, I get out of VeeDub and think, yes this is the best compromise for ride & handling for a frequently driven road car. Kidneys are fine and tooth fillings intact.

Cheers.
White James
Sydney, Australia.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
All good info.... the FSDs aren't much (if any) cheaper here in Melb even with a reasonable contact for them either. But from the people that have fitted them i've only ever heard good things. Although i heard on the grapevine there was a recall on them for something minor not long ago? Might be worth just checking with your supplier.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
For an excellent article on test results - Go to:

www.tirerack.com

They take 3 x BMW 330Ci's: One with stock dampers. One with Koni Sport. One with Koni-FSD. They test dampers on same typre of car in on test track and on roadway.

Results are suprising. Koni-FSD matched lap time of Koni Sport. On a rough road/track they reckon Koni-FSD have capacity to run a quicker lap time than Koni Sport.

Koni FSD are stated to be a tad softer than Koni Sport on soft setting. Still firmer than stock GTI dampers.

Go to tests/comparisions under heading.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Just need the wife to loosen the purse strings and let me spend another $2.5k on suspension now.... don't fancy my chances though.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
G'Day,
Finding with H&R anti roll bars that med to high speed corners kit works fine. Still a little understeer at lvery ow speed & tight corners (15-35 Kph).

Will leave front bar on soft and put rear on harder setting to dial out some more low speed understeer.

Will advise on how change affects 2006 Golf GTI.

Koni FSD, Eibach ProKit, H&R anti roll bars working fine. Rear bar is working the rear shocks harder and rear dropped another 1mm on right-rear and 3mm on left-rear.

Cheers
White James
Sydney, Australia

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
i think i spotted you in dee why (cant remember now hahahah memory block) white GTI and it looked low :thumbsup:

PM_

Ready to race!
:needpics:

haha kidding ... ... but pics would be nice :wink:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Working on the pictures.

Having some difficulty putting in the pics I already have on home laptop.
The rear has dropped a little since I took the last images, so I will take a few more pics and try again.

GTI sits 20mm lower at front & 5-8mm lower at rear (still dropping at rear 1mm/1000km).

Need some guidance on how to input images - IT skills isn't one of my stronger virtues.

Cheers
White James.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Nikola,
My GTI has never been in DeeWhy. I live down near Cronulla. My GTI ain't that low. Looks lower at front and similar to stock at the rear.

In isolation, the drop is not that noticeable; which is what I wanted; Don't have any issues with rubbing the front splitter on driveways.

Pics coming.

Cheers
White James
Sutherland Shire, Sydney

Last edited:

OZVWConvert

Ready to race!
Hey WhiteJames,

How do you find the ride height? Do you have many issues with scraping?

I am considering the same springs and dampers as yourself but I like the height of the GTI at the moment as I don't have to worry too much...

Cheers
Stu

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Oz,
Eibach Prokit will lower your GTI:
Front: 18-20mm
Rear : 12-14mm

Mine ended up about 20mm lower at front. Rear is a little more complex. Koni FSD dampers raised my GTI +9mm rear-left and +5mm rear-right. The rear is settling downwards. So far after 5,000km with FSD's; Rear end has dropped another 7-10mm ( I wasn't keeping exact tabs on how much fuel was in tank which varies reading a couple of mm).

When the rear bar is put on hard, this will work the rear shocks a little harder so I'm expecting another 2-3mm drop; after that, they should settle indefinitely.

It was the Koni-FSD that lifted the car, not the springs.

So far from stock height with original suspension in place, my GTI is:
Front - 20mm lower (both sides)
Rear right - 9mm lower
Rear left - 5mm lower

Orginally in the rear there was a 5mm difference from right to left (+5mm on left side). At the moment that difference right to left has stretched out to (+8mm).

I don't often park front to kerb, but scraping is not an issue for every day driving. Doesn't impact with an speed bumps I've been over in 5,000km. Occassionally on a driveway, but it scrapped with stock ride height also half the time.

Car looks a little wedgey with front lower than rear. With 4 passengers, fuel and luggage it looks perfect. Germany springs are designed to lower more at front than rear.

Adds presence to your GTI. Especically from front view.

With stock suspension - I think the front is about 1cm too high in proportion with the rear. That's just my opinion though.

Cheers
White James
Sutherland Shire, Sydney