GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia
Modded Euros

Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
mikenbn
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2007 Audi S3
Send a message via MSN to mikenbn
S3 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R Anti Roll Kit inst

Hey Guys,

Just got back from a fun packed afternoon - I'm an expert on suspension and sway-bars after today - learned so much watching them install mine... and the end result is pure excitement... handling is at another level. Body roll is practically non existent.

The car rides better than stock on a number 2 setting yet sits 30mm lower at the rear and 45mm at the front with 35series rubber.

Even on the bumpiest of roads it holds its composure giving you better control.

I haven't pushed it to the limit since I have new tyres on but there's no understeer thus far - even at sharp 90 degree turns in second , no evidence of body roll. Just loads and loads of grip ......... Absolutely love it !!!!

I'll now shut-up and let you enjoy the pics whilst I go for a quick blast to the shops :D

Stock Car Pics

Bilstein PSS10 Height and Damper adjustable

H&R Anti Roll Kit

Rear Damper adjustment 1 to 10 settings can be adjusted on the car. 1 being soft and 10 track use.

Front Damper Adjustment - once again can be adjusted on the car a wheel at a time with full lock

The top sway is front stock 2mm smaller in diametre and hollow compared to the Solid H&R sawy bar

Standard S3 Brakes

Standard Front and Rear suspension set-up

H&R Sway installed on standard hole as it would be too stiff on the second for road use

Installation and comparison of Bilsteins to stock setup note Height is only set at half way - another 30mm is possible if you didn't live in Sydney

19" B7 RS4 Reps with Conti CS3

Front Damper adjustment on car

Rear Damper Adjustment on car

Lastly 4 wheel alignment

Finished Product

mikenbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
zz2
VAG expert

Drives: CW '08 GTI
oh FARRRRRK that looks sweet!!! :eek:
and as if the S3 didnt go well enough with out all those upgrades.
congrats on the very very sweet ride... and if i saw you i would have to kill you!

'that's thirty minutes away... I'll be there in ten'
zz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
zoom
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mark V Gti
wat zz2 said.........but yeah that looks f*ckin mean! wat did the bilsteins set ya back?
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
mikenbn
Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks

Thanks Fellows - appreciate it, its been a crazy long day but worth it...
Believe it or not the stock S3 has its limits on bumpy roads tendency to under steer when pushed - now it just begs for corners - amazing and Highly recommend this set-up... I'll be doing some occasional track work so is perfect compromise for daily / track ......

The PSS10 in the pics will fit the GTi V, A3T and R32 V and will set you back around $3300 + inst + align and the H&R anti roll around a $1000 ... Oh and the wheels will also fit as they are same offset …..

My standard S3 wheels with Conti CS2 are for sale if any ones keen… $2200
Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
mrx
Connoisseur

Drives: 2007 Golf GTI, Manual
Wish I could afford any of that stuff in the pictures!
mrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Boonedock82
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2007 BM MKV GTI MT
Jezuz I think I just made a mess in my pants, I honestly didn't know that the S3 was available in a 3 door.

Unbelievable your car is soo nice, being modest if I had the money and the car was available in Canada that is exactly what I would have. Cheers Mate.

Seriously that car is just perfection 100% right colour perfect wheels ride height is just spot on.

............ Marry ME!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Drives: Old and new skool
Erm, the S3 is only available in 3dr.

MY80 GTI | MY07 GTI 3dr | MY10 S3 3dr
Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
webmonkey128
Ready to race!

Drives: BM Golf GTI
Send a message via Skype™ to webmonkey128
Bleuwrwefsdiouowaaa....
webmonkey128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
alf
Modwhoreator

Drives: \/ \/\/
Send a message via AIM to alf Send a message via Yahoo to alf
thats baller status
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Boonedock82
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2007 BM MKV GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by minigolf View Post
Erm, the S3 is only available in 3dr.
Damn didn't know that, I just havn't looked at them all that much because they arn't avaialble in Canada, from the specs I love that car already.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
sausage
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf GTI
nice choice with the suspension... I wouldn't use anything less than blistein
sausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
srbsta
Banned

Drives: 2006 BM GTI 6spd
Send a message via MSN to srbsta
OMFG that is sex on wheels material there

any engine mods ???

BOOST GETS YOU LAID

srbsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
DRMAT
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Black Magic MkV Golf GTI DSG
Fantastic effort... always love to see someone who's prepared to go the whole hog for an awesome setup.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
vwgtimkv
Out of love for the car

Drives: '07 VW Golf GTI 3dr
That looks fantastic. I'd love to see some interior shots if you have the time.

Cheer
I requested a full-scale print of Marilyn Monroe. I showed the picture to my team and asked if they knew how tall miss Monroe was. Their answers were much taller estimates than she really was. I said she was only 1.6 meters (5ft. 3in.), but her proportions were perfect. Then I told them to go redraw the TT.
'07 VW Golf GTI ||| 3 Door ||| Candy White ||| 6 Speed Manual ||| Anthracite Leather ||| Tint ||| Superchips Bluefin

vwgtimkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
Donald32
Backseat Driver

Drives: 07 R32
Wonder why Audi didn't go with the piano ebony black in the b-pillar covers, would have suited the finish perfectly. Awesome looking vehicle Mike, congratulations!
Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #16
mikenbn
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
Wonder why Audi didn't go with the piano ebony black in the b-pillar covers, would have suited the finish perfectly. Awesome looking vehicle Mike, congratulations!
Thank you matey

Very happy with it cornering is mind blowing - just cant get it out of line - highly recommend it for anyone that loves the twisties.

Quote:
any engine mods ???
I'm still on my first tank of gas dude (450km) on the clock so will wait until the engine is properly run in - then Oettinger go fast bits for sure

By the way my stock wheels are for sale if anyone's keen
Unfortunatly one rim got a bit scratched whilst transporting - minor though
(see pics in 4 sale area)

Size is 18" with 54 offset - 5 x 112 PCD with 225/40 Conti CS2
More pics in 4 sale area - $2,200.

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
zoom
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mark V Gti
damn im definatly in for those 19's rs4 reps!
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #18
bigg
tastylicious golf owner

Drives: MkV
if your S3 was in Sprint Blue it would be my ideal car

im so jelous, great car!!
bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #19
GTI2007

Drives: '05 UG Golf 5 Plus
Really nice looking S3
GTI2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #20
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

I had a test drive of an S3 today ... and ...

I was genuinely surprised at how fun it was to drive. I was expecting it to be a bit floaty, a bit cumbersome and a bit of a cruiser. But what I found was a car that, compared to the GTI, was more nimble, more easily thrown around the corners and, of course, with quattro, more composed through said corners.

On one piece of road I know well, there is a section that has some short, quick esses and it is here, the gap between the MINI's instant and direct steering exposes the comparatively cumbersome steering in the GTI. In the S3, on the same stretch of road, I found the steering to be almost bang on in terms of feel and composure when compared to the MINI. That was an unexpected discovery. The MINI is starting to show it's age and I acknowledge it is not without fault, but in my experience its communicative steering is still one area where it holds its head high against newer competition, so this is no faint praise for the Audi, rather a massive thumbs up from this punter for a company who is usually criticised for producing cars with dull and lifeless steering feel.

This was also my first decent drive of a quattro car and even in stock form I found no reason to complain with the setup. In corners where either of our cars would find the tyres scrambling for grip and screaming louder than a two-bit hooker, the S3 just dug in, hard, and got me out of the corner with full confidence. I can only imagine the smiles a Haldex mod could bring, but as I said, I had no reason to fault the OEM setup. The overall ride and handling was also better in the S3, as to be epxected I suppose. Not light years ahead of the GTI, but well, it is a smidge better.

One aspect I personally found the S3 to be a big step ahead of the GTI was in usability and user friendliness of the 6 speed manual. Whether it's because I'm a gumby or don't spend enough time in the GTI I'm not sure, but at times when driving the Golf hard I find the shift is a bit of a let down for me. No such problems in the S3, which has direct, short and accurate gates and makes changes a breeze.

Outright speed in the S3 is obviously an advantage over the GTI, but it's perhaps not as clear cut as one might expect, and around town at slower speeds the GTI is the more tractable car. At higher revs the S3's larger turbo is both clearly obvious and superior. Makes a nicer, and louder, whistle as well. I didn't find the S3 to be blindingly quick, but it's fast enough, that's for sure and you have the knowledge that a visit to [insert chipwarz debate here] is going to leave you with plenty of grunt and you'll still have that quattro drivetrain with which to exploit that power gain so well.

Hopping back into the GTI for the drive home was not the disappointment I expected it to be. The Golf is still well built, in my opinion, looks are on par even if the Audi's lower roofline results in a more purposeful stance. I still find the Golf's interior layout more intuitive to use, although the Audi's finishing touches are a class above. The standard seats and steering wheel in the GTI are a definite advantage over the S3, while the Audi's aren't bad by any means you'd expect these things to be the other way around.

Do I think the the S3 a $20,000 better car when compared to a GTI? For a B road blast on some favourite twisties, without doubt, I would never even think twice about the extra money spent. Around town for the daily commute, then the difference can be questioned more harshly and becomes one only an individual can answer. If B road blasts are your raison d'Ítre then you'd probably be better off buying an EVO I suppose. But, if you're considering an S3 and are asking yourself if the money is better saved for a GTI. Buy the S3. You won't regret it.

Surprisingly capable and lots of fun on tight, twisty roads; short, accurate gearbox.

DISLIKES
A bit of lag down low; doesn't feel as quick as one might expect; not having a lazy $20K to make trading the GTI a no brainer.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #21
mikenbn
Passed Driver's Ed

Nice review Liam :)

just got my ECU flashed today

229KW and 420NM of fun - you can look at it 2 ways 20K more than a Gti or half the price of an RS4 or M3

5.1 and the occational 5 sec flats to the tonne (G-Tech) - combined with the suspension upgrade - just sensational... give me a buzz if you're ever in Sydney mate ;)
Old 09-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #22
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

I'll certainly keep you in mind Mike.

Looking forward to more thoughts from you on the flash. Oettinger?

Oh, and you could use the über cool on board lap timer for a rough guide to measure 0-100 times as well. :laugh: