GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pioneer CA-R-PI.221 CAN Bus steering remote adaptor review

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
The long story very short: the sucker works in USA cars. :w00t:

The Pioneer CA-R-PI.221 VW/Seat/Skoda Steering Wheel Remote Adaptor is an European only adapter for VW cars that enables any Pioneer HU with a remote control jack to use the OEM steering wheel buttons to control the basic fuctions of the HU, such as...

- Vol +
- Vol -
- Mute

... but most important, it provides the missing main inputs signals for a Pioneer standard HU and for Navigation system HU:

- ACC
- Illumination
- Reverse
- Speed pulse

Because it is designed for Euro VW's, Pioneer USA does not import these adapters so no USA vendor offers this item. Thus to get one of these adapters to test one was ordered from http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=CARPI221 , an UK car sound online store for $107. Because it was back ordered it took a little over a month to get it... but it was worth it.

The adapter comes with three main plastic connectors: the VW Fakra Quadlock main plug, the speaker inputs connector and the power/ACC/ground connector. Speed/Reverse/Illumination outputs are separate an individually available with their own round connector jacks.

According to the installation sheet included, in Europe the Pioneer HU's already have matching connector plugs for the speakers and power. In my case, the Avic Z2 does not: both power and speaker outputs are in one combined connector. The options are to cut those two individual connectors and splice the wires or use OEM spade connectors to plug them into those connectors without cutting and splicing.

Using the standard Ebay VW radio harness, I remove all the wires from it (they have the OEM spade connectors) and used them to connect all my inputs and outputs to the CA-R-PI.221 connectors. No cutting/splicing at all...

At the same time I solved two HU issues: the Avic Z2 weak sub RCA outputs and poor FM reception.

The issue of the weak sub output in the Avic Z2 was solved by gounding to its chassis the negative side of the sub RCA jacks. This was done by the advice of a Pioneer USA tech when I complained to them about this weak sub output issue. It seems that the Avic Z2 sub output uses a ground loop that could be causing compatibilities problems with certain aftermarket amps, so in those cases the sub RCA ground (outside ring in the plug) have to be directly connected to the Z2's chassis. In the photo the black screw in the back of the chassis is that ground connection, using T-taps to connect the negative wires of the RCA's to it without cutting any wires. Now the subs are more "solid" and "deep" at the same volume as before.

The poor FM reception was solved using a Metra 40-EU55 amplified antenna cable available here http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/40_EU55.html . It is shown in the photo as a black antenna cable with the foam around it. It requires a 12V input signal, which I connected to one of two the Avic remote power signal outputs. FM reception now is much more stronger than before.

Once all wires are properly identified (yellow wire is 12V, green/brown is ground, red/orange is ACC, speaker wires identifications are printed in the wires) and connected, just plugged it to the Avic Z2, pressed the Reset button and the sucker just turn on. :clap:

Overall:

ACC signal works: radio is on with the key on as long as there is CAN bus traffic by opening a door for some 10-15 minutes.

Illumination signal works: switching the foglights or headlight on triggers the illumination signal on.

Reverse signal works: engaging reverse triggers the Reverse signal on.

Speed signal works: pulses can be seen on the Avic Hardware screen. With this signal now available the accuracy of the Avic GPS system is close to perfect. Before the sucker was always 100 to 150 ft feet off the actual location. No mo'...

Parking Brake signal still have to be directly connected to the Parking Brake 12V signal: there is no Parking Brake output in this adapter.

Only the left steering wheel buttons work: Unfortunately, this adapter is not programmable because it is not universal, it is only for Pioneer HU. Although this is a Version 3 I was expecting some solution to the CAN bus elimination of the Audio screen on the MFD once the OEM HU is removed, but no matter how I pressed the right buttons down (long or short press) they do not work. Only the left Mute and Vol + and Vol - work; no phone button fuctionality with the Pioneer Bluetooth module either, that's the worst part of this adapter. Because that was my previous configuration (only Mute, Vol +, -) using the PAC SWI modules this is no issue for me. But for those using the right buttons custom programmed for Track + and - this could be an issue.

No warranty in case of malfunction: this is not a Pioneer USA product, this is an Pioneer Euro product, so its use in a USA vehicle voids any warranties -explicit or implicit- that this adapter could have. Something to be seriously considered before any ordering.

IMO, this is a great adapter for those with Pioneer Avic Nav's, with most of the main outputs/inuts signals present in one place and is as close to plug n' play as possible.

However, PAC and Peripheral are supposed to introduce this year adapters in the USA that will include all of these signals also in addition to being fully programmable. The cons are that these adapters are still in two separate pieces, they require splicing of wires, and they do not include a prewired VW Fakra Quadlock main plug. Most probably these adapters are going to be slightly more expensive than this Pioneer's also because the regular PAC SWI adapters and a separate/required VW Fakra Quadlock main plug together are more expensive than what I paid for this Pioneer's.

At the end, either route is much better than what have been offered so far for aftermarket HU installations in the MKV. :thumbup:

Last edited:

lettcco

Thanks for the excellent review! :thumbsup: I am now ready to jump on the bandwagon and place an order oversea...If this forum have some repping system I would have rep you +++.

For those who were thinking of using the METRA XSVI-9003: Do not use this harness. Do a search and you will find that multiple people have problem with it and METRA could not fix it. And that's $60 wasted with no steering wheel remote to begin with!

Technic, what is this "standard Ebay VW radio harness" you mentioned? do you mean a METRA 70-9003?

:headbang:

iowarabbit

cornfed.
Car(s)
07K '09 Audi TT
GAH, i knew i should've waited for somebody to give this a shot. i think i'll just get my $ back from enfig, pony up the extra 40, and snag this instead. i plan on swapping my premier unit for nav eventually anyways, so the vss and reverse will be well worth the $50 in hassle evasion.

high five on getting the balls up for a $100 experiment btw.

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
Thanks for the excellent review! :thumbsup: I am now ready to jump on the bandwagon and place an order oversea...If this forum have some repping system I would have rep you +++.

For those who were thinking of using the METRA XSVI-9003: Do not use this harness. Do a search and you will find that multiple people have problem with it and METRA could not fix it. And that's $60 wasted with no steering wheel remote to begin with!

Technic, what is this "standard Ebay VW radio harness" you mentioned? do you mean a METRA 70-9003?

:headbang:

I think it is that Metra... it is the plain VW Fakra Quadlock main plug with all the wires minus the CAN bus (+, -) nor Mute wires. :thumbsup:

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI

That's strange. I'm using the 9003 harness with my Alpine and it works perfectly. :iono:

iowarabbit

cornfed.
Car(s)
07K '09 Audi TT
That's strange. I'm using the 9003 harness with my Alpine and it works perfectly. :iono:

they sent me a reply email today saying it doesn't work on all cars... in which case they have no business selling it w/o some sort of notification. unless, of course, they enjoy dissatisfied customers. they proceeded to tell me that i should probably get the regular harness too just in case a replacement doesn't work, which totally defeats the purpose of me getting the can-bus interface in the first place. i nicely told them that they need to give me my money back if they can't gurantee the functionality of a replacement, as i'm not waiting for another one while my dash sits in pieces just to have it not work all over again. i've got better options.

lettcco

BTW technic, how do you like the AVIC-Z2? I was told it's not bypassable yet...so functionality wise was it serverely limited when you were driving?

TypeR_126

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
when you say 9003 do you mean 70-9003 (~$9.99) which is just a basic speaker harness, or the XSVI-9003 (~$59) which supposely has ACC and VSS but doesn't work?

I mean the XSVI harness. I ordered mine through Enfig with the SWI-PAC and SWI-CAN. I wanted the ACC power function on the harness and it also provided a nice place to splice into the CAN wires without having to touch the factory side of the harness. Everything worked fine right out of the gate.

IOWARABBIT - That sucks. Sounds like they did offer to replace though? Did they give any indication about why it wouldn't work on certain cars, or is does it seem to be random?

iowarabbit

cornfed.
Car(s)
07K '09 Audi TT
just said 'it doesn't work on all cars.' that's not the most reassuring testimonial of product reliability i've ever heard...
it's cool that they're willing to replace it and all, and i'm not going to be pissed unless there's a major reason to be, but i would think they'd want to sell something that worked as advertised more than the xsvi seems to :iono:.

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
BTW technic, how do you like the AVIC-Z2? I was told it's not bypassable yet...so functionality wise was it serverely limited when you were driving?

Hi

I do like this Z2 a lot, the Nav, the Bluetooth, the iPod control, the voice activation functionalities, sound quality, the fit in the dash, everything is extremely close to factory level.

If I dislike one "feature" of the Z2 is the parking brake requirement to access menu (Nav, Phone) functions, not so much of watching movies while driving (that's a big no-no for me). In the OEM Nav of my BMW I can always enter an address while driving, go look for somebody's number in the phonebook, but in this aftermarket HU I have to stop and engage the parking brake... that's idiotic.

Pioneer should have set the movie viewing restriction to GPS/speed pulses signaling requirement and not to the parking brake, and then allow changes to the menus while driving. :thumbdown:

Kricket

v-dubber, once again...
If I dislike one "feature" of the Z2 is the parking brake requirement to access menu (Nav, Phone) functions, not so much of watching movies while driving (that's a big no-no for me). In the OEM Nav of my BMW I can always enter an address while driving, go look for somebody's number in the phonebook, but in this aftermarket HU I have to stop and engage the parking brake... that's idiotic.

check out avic411.com - they have GREAT info about the various avic models there

i have a d3 and was able to ground the unit so that i can access all menus while driving (of course - this means dvd's play while driving but that wasn't my concern) - i know VERY little about wiring but was able to figure out the entire process in a few minutes - it was a very simple mod for the d3 (maybe it'll be equally as simple for the z2)

lettcco

yeah I knew about AVIC411, and I actually am pretty up to snuff on what's going on. yes D3 is bypassable, but with Z2 it's been said that June 07 production or later are bypassable but not before. They are hoping to compare image of the pre and post to see if it can make the pre bypassable right now.