GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Auto-dimming Compass Rearview Mirror Installed in a US spec GTI (pictures!)

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I installed this mirror the second week I had my GTi back in April but I never took pictures... So for those of you that have all been waiting, the wait is over.

The install was simple. I used an Audi S4 Cabriolet rearview mirror with the floating compass. These are the newer style mirrors found on some A4's. Got the mirror form Ebay before I totaled my Passat and was planning on installing it then, but as fate has it she was totaled. So this nice mod found a home in the new GTI.

You will need the following OEM parts

(dont have the part number) Audi Mirror

8H0-857-593-4PK Mirror Cover

4B0 971 833 (6 pin connector)

000 979 018 (wire) you cut this wire in half and both ends plug into the 6-pin connector.

Here is more info that I found on how to wire it
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1674560

I removed the stock mirror by wrapping around a sock at the base, then using a set of pliars to rotate the mirror clockwise about 90 degres until it unlocked from the windshield base. Do this VERY SLOWLY AND GENTLE BECAUSE YOU WILL CRACK THE WINDSHIELD!

Then I did the same process but in reverse order to attatch the new Auto Dimming mirror.

I located a key switch power source (forgot the fuse number) from the AC fan. So the mirror powers up whenever the ignition is on.

I ran the wires up the A pillar and up the headliner where they rest very clean and unnoticible to the naked eye.

The only thing missing from the mirror is the oem cover, which I ordered from impex and should arrive next week.

Best mod I have done so far, and I wont be tinting my windows now nor buying the rear sunshade. This is such a nice feature to have with all the ass whipes driving there SUV's with Xenons in your eyes!

Hope this makes its way into the DIY section. :wink:

where I got power from

Mirror in action. You can turn off the compass function if you desire by holding down the power button on the mirror for 5 seconds. Also the button is illuminated RED at night so its a perfect match.

you can see the wires because the cover I dont have yet

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
I do miss my auto-dim.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
thats really nice... will have to look into doing that... thanks

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Yeah this is a feature that I always wanted on my GTI. Not sure why they dont let us have the option in the US.

VWOA=Blah...

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
is that mirror was square like the OEM GTi mirror i would do this without even thinking

but i LOVE the squareness of the GTi mirror

anyone know if the auto-dimming mirrors what come in the UK would be square?...and would it be the same type of install?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Dub Factor said:
Pretty slick...Between the MFD, Navi, and now the mirror, you'll have no doubt about your direction of travel. Magellan must be quite envious.

Nice..hehehe so true.

As for the squareness of the stock mirror, I quickly forgot about that as the dumb asses behind me drive with the highbeam lights on :tongue:

Wascally

Navigation Required?

Ummm... Question Time - is navigation required? My Rabbit doesn't have it. I suspect it does, but it would be nice to know for sure. I spend a lot of time on the back roads of Westchester County and it would be nice thing to have. :confused:

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
I would just want the auto dim mirror don't really need a compass since we have one already... Would be interested if it showed temp outside and inside.. I have switching the MFD or whatever it's called to find out what the temp is

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
For me I'm glad my GTI has a manual dimming mirror. My R32 had the auto mirror and half the time it would not dim so I got blinded. I've not seen an auto mirror that functions better than the old flip the lever type.

My two cents!

David

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Nope its not bulky at all..I love the mirror. No you dont need navigation.. All you need is a power source and your golden ;)