GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Homelink - DIY

leitner6

Passed Driver's Ed
I did my first DIY yesterday. It was super easy and fast. The only negative was that the Homelink visor was somewhat expensive. I have problems with my garage remotes in that they go through batteries about every 3 months. I don't know why Homelink isn't an option on US cars.

Sorry. It was so fast that I didn't take pictures.

Homelink visor.
http://oempl.us/product_info.php?products_id=214&osCsid=15241aaeda0015cbde9471a98c74a63a

Here's a link to the vortex DIY.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2534474

1. Take out the original visor via the torx screw.
2. Cut the lead off on the original visor leaving enough wire on the connector to resolder.
3. Cut the lead off the Euro visor.
4. Install some heat shrink from Radio Shack or similar store.
5. Twist the Red and Green wires together on the Euro visor. Solder these to the _Black_ wire on the US plug. (seems counter-intuative that black isn't connected to black)
6. Solder the Black euro wire to the Red and Black wire on the US plug.
7. Melt the heat shrink over the soldered joints. (I used a lighter)
8. Install Euro visor.

This leaves the Homelink visor always active which some people in the Vortex forum didn't like. The way I look at it is that the garage remote that this replaces was also always active.

-cheers

Kricket

v-dubber, once again...
^ nice write up

i would LOVE to get one of these but i just dont get why the hell they are SO damn expensive - i mean, $100 should be adequate - thats something id consider - but $339?! thats just ridiculous...

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
^ nice write up

i would LOVE to get one of these but i just dont get why the hell they are SO damn expensive - i mean, $100 should be adequate - thats something id consider - but $339?! thats just ridiculous...

They are actually $244.62 @ auburnvw.com... :thumbsup:

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
tmtuning.com quoted me $169us for a homelink visor, best price i've found anywhere

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
you usually just point the original door opener at the homelink and hold down the buttons on both till you see the light on the homelink flash 3 or so times. Once it has finished flashing it should work.

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
no prob

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
got my visor from tmtuning.com, paid $169, it's not on their website but you just ask them by part number, which are:

Anthrazite: 1K0 857 551 H 4AN
Pearl Grey: 1K0 857 551 H 2F4
Beige: 1K0 857 551 H 3V6

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
I installed my visor last night, let me tell you it wasn't as easy as the 2 previous diy's state. The connector is snapped inside the headliner so it doesn't move and it's a pain to un-hook it, i dont know how you guy stuck your finger in that little hole.

other than that, the thing works well and I love it. Only $170 compared to $300+ at oempl.us