GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight Help

DRxSoulz

Car(s)
2007 Volkswagen GTi
Hello, so I have purchased two new bulbs being one was out and I bought them as a pair. Both sides have worked but the bulb was out. The right side went fine but the left side no longer works. The igniter must have not disconnected when I popped it off, and when I turned the headlight on to test the right side, I heard and seen a bit of a spark, and it stopped after about a second. The left side igniter is a bit charred on the inside now and when I attempt to turn it on with the new headlight, it flickers for a second, then shuts off. I was wondering if my problem lays with the igniter being the spark, or if it would go into. Wiring issue? The wires look mint. So to sum it up, I have two questions. Do I need a new igniter, and the black ring that goes in between the igniter and the headlight, does anyone know where I could purchase a new one? I can barely screw it on to keep everything locked in place being it's cracked.

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
For OEM parts I would go to vwpartsvortex.com

You should be able to talk or write to them about the retainer ring.

I had a similar issue with the headlights of my MK6 GTI, the bulb would flicker 2-3 times on one side when you turned it on, resulted that the ballast had gone bad on one of them after a short while putting the bulb/igniter back into position. Try first swapping the igniters from each side to discard that any of these are bad, if it doesn’t works then you’ll have to switch the ballasts, use rubber gloves and disconnect the battery before doing that. In the end I had 2 issues, 1 ballast and the internal wiring in the headlamp which was a headache to repair as the housing is all sealed up

The ballast I purchased a repaired remanufactured one on eBay, it’s been installed a year and works fine.

I also recall reading about this in the past on this forum, check the following post:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140651

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Are you using OEM bulbs or aftermarket? Not all aftermarket bulbs are created equal and this could be the problem. If you can rule out the bulbs I would test the igniter from the right side and see if that's the problem. If it works, chances are you just need the igniter. If not, then you probably need a new ballast. I had a similar problem with my lights flickering on both sides. I replaced the igniters which didn't help. Had the ballast replaced and haven't had any problems since. It's not a cheap part, so hopefully you just need the igniter.