GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM iPod Adaptor -- ??

laserjock

Autocross Newbie
About to pick up my GTI and I was going to have the factory iPod adaptor installed but the dealer is telling me that once it is installed, the CD changer will not work... It's either one or the other.:confused:

In order to use the CD changer, I'd have to remove the adaptor...

According to what I've read here in the forums I'm thinking he may be giving me some bad info... Can anyone help me out here and verify this? I'd like to get it installed before I take delivery so I don't have to worry about it.

Many thanks in advance!

davesee

FIA GT Champion
yes, what he is telling you is the truth.

It was indeed discussed on many other threads here.

As disappointing as it sounds, I know..

There is some type of adapter out there that allows you to have both hooked up at once and will switch automatically. As many times as I've answered this one, I really should find a link for it..

Sorry for the bad news.

laserjock

Autocross Newbie
cool. thanks for the clarification.

my understanding after going through the threads was you just had to disconnect the iPod...

no biggie, I'll wait for some aftermarket or until they figure this thing out.

appreciate it and sorry for beating a dead horse.

dmclone

Oval Champion
I just bought this one

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/VW_MLINK1_5.html

I wanted one where I could control the Ipod through the Ipod itself instead of some goofy playlists. If I wanted playlists I would just burn 6 MP3 cd's.

This one will also charge.

The only downsides I see over others:
I'm going to lose my Sat radio but if I bought a bypass I wouldn't have to.

Only controlled through the Ipod not the receiver itself or steering wheel.

dmclone

Oval Champion
OK, I got it installed. It does exaclty what I want it to do. I wired it to go through the glovebox so I can hide it when it's parked. A couple of notes for people who decide to do this install.

You pull out the blue plug on the bottom of the radio. When you do this you will lose your XM

Finding the hole that goes to the glove box is a pain in the a$$

I used a metal bolt in front of the vent for the ground. I believe this is the firewall. There are two bolts and I put the ground underneath one and tightened.

When you start it up the first time you need to hit "CD" twice and you'll see the radio go to "EXT". Then make sure it's on the 99th track.

BTW-This link helped a lot

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/170840.aspx

Here is the real good news that I didn't expect. From what I can tell the clipping doesn't happen with the Ipod connection. This unit will also charge the Ipod for 20 minutes after you turn off your car.

This is exactly what I wanted.

AngryFish

Go Kart Newbie
Another solution is available through crutchfield.

Scosche FM-MOD01 (Hard Wired Modulator) 29.99
Euro Antenna Adapter OEM F to Motorola M 19.99
Euro Antenna Adapter OEM M to Motorola F 19.99
Crutchfield Install Guide
Crutchfield Peripherals Guide

This solution is a Hard Wired FM Modulator and by utilizing the above parts you will not lose your SAT radio or Changer functions. Kit comes with a switch which can be mounted anywhere on the dash to turn the modulator on or off.

Total cost of parts. 69.97, Shipping within the us is around 7-8$

davesee

FIA GT Champion
givenuponsociety said:
where can i get one of thsoe and how does it work?

from a vw dealer, (item# 000051444M)

it just allows an audio input.. it would plug into the headphone jack of your ipod only. This means it wouldnt charge and you would have to control the ipod directly by its own interface. i kind of like this idea actually.

im not entirely sure on where you plug the adapter in, but be sure that ill post to let you know.

dmclone

Oval Champion
The one that I bought has a sat-passthrough option for $29 but I'll never subscribe so I didn't get it.

Now I need to find a good place to hold it. Between my Ipod and my portable navbigation unit it looks prety geeky.

AngryFish

Go Kart Newbie
davesee said:
Do you know if any retail stores carry those? I've seen them before, and I just may get one..

Thanks

davesee,

I found one a long time ago at an advance auto parts store. It wasnt the same design but was similar.

I couldnt find anything like this locally.

The belkin cup holder mount would be fine if I didnt have a iSkin case on my ipod. you can find the belkin mounts at best buy and circuit city.