GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi TTRS BBK install HELP!!

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Today I went to go install my TTRS brake kit, everything is going smoothly. Slap the rotors on, install the new lines, throw the caliper on, torque down those 21mm bolts... Then I go to slide the pads in and the rotor is touching the caliper on the inside (the side closer to the car)?!?!?! This isn't a picture that I took, but use it as a reference... Circled area is where it's making contact

WTF! I've never heard of this happening, everybody who has done this has said its a straight bolt on. Yes, I have a mk7, however I know of three people that have done this upgrade and have said the same thing..

Does anyone know why this might happen? For what its worth, and it shouldn't make a difference, but I didn't have the brake pads installed inside the caliper before I torqued those two 21mm bolts on.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
This may be stupid but have you compressed the piston on the caliper yet?

Edit* I can't see pictures at work so I'm just taking a blind guess at what you are talking about.

Edit 2** NVM I just looked it up on my phone to see the picture. Id check the part numbers again to make sure everything is the right size. I have no idea otherwise.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Here's an actual picture of how it sits. I just tried again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
This may be stupid but have you compressed the piston on the caliper yet?

Edit* I can't see pictures at work so I'm just taking a blind guess at what you are talking about.

Edit 2** NVM I just looked it up on my phone to see the picture. Id check the part numbers again to make sure everything is the right size. I have no idea otherwise.

The caliper is definitely the right part. It's the only RS caliper that Audi has. But I think the carrier is the problem

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
That's what I'm thinking. The MK7's might just take a little modification to make things work.

There's one guy on golfmk7 that fitted them with no modifications at all.. This is the only reason I bought the set. I've been trying to message him but he's not online so much

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Is it possible for the wheel bearing housing to get warped? Maybe that's out of alignment. I remember taking my car to this mechanic down the road to swap my rotors because I was too lazy and needed them done asap.. So he went to torque those 21mm bolts down on the passenger side and was putting TONS of force on it with a huge breaker bar. Probably more than 200 ft/lb. I told him that wasn't necessary.

But then I guess, that would mean that my OEM brakes wouldn't fit either. And they fit fine

DerekH

Ready to race!
Do you know where these brakes came from? Could they have come off a car that was in an accident? otherwise i would say take everything apart and make sure its all clean. scrape off all the mounting surfaces and try again.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Do you know where these brakes came from? Could they have come off a car that was in an accident? otherwise i would say take everything apart and make sure its all clean. scrape off all the mounting surfaces and try again.

They were off of a TTRS that had the brake recall.. Squeaky pads or something. I even have the work order for the warranty work and the VIN of the car.. no accidents

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
So i left out a piece of information that might pertain to this.. I went to the track 2 weekends ago, and when I came back home I replaced my race pads with the OEM ones.. The passenger side pair of pads looked like they had hardly worn out at all. The drivers side pads however, had only a few mm left in them...

Why would my passenger side pads be hardly worn at all, but the drivers side be almost gone? Last time I went to the track all 4 brake pads wore out pretty evenly.. Maybe theres something wrong with the passenger side and thats why the rotors don't fit inside the caliper?

I still haven't tried to put the TTRS brakes on the drivers side but will probably tomorrow.

Last edited:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Have you tried fitting the driver side yet

I actually just did about an hour ago. The drivers side has slightly more clearance than the passenger side, the rotor actually doesn't make contact. But it's still very uneven when compared to the other side.. Starting to think that its the caliper brackets that are warped or bent or something

k04 and stuff.

Does the caliper touch the rotor at any other place? Is it rotor seated properly on the hub?

The rotor is not warped or uneven or anything, and it's seated perfectly on the hub. I even installed a couple lug nuts to be 100% sure