GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Fueling Setups / Solutions

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Figured we could all benefit from a thread that mainly focuses on the hpfp and lpfp options available for our platform. I've been trying to find a bulletproof solution without the need of adding more injectors.

Possible Low Pressure Fueling Setups for Big Turbo Applications:
will update list as more setups are mentioned

- Torqbyte's PM3 w/ intank pump of your choice (Aeromotive 340 and Deatschwerks Dw65v are pumps Ive tested)
- TTRS pump being controlled by Torqbyte's CM5
- APR's inline Lpfp kit
- USP's Aux pump kit
- Custom surge tank setup
- Aftermarket Pump in modified OEM basket

High Pressure Fueling Options:

- Integrated Engineering
- APR
- HPA
- JHM
- LOBA
- HpfpUpgrade
- Autotech
- KMD

here's where I currently stand.
(I'll post this in my build thread as well)
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185571

Turbo:
Precision 5858

Fueling components:
- RS4 injectors
- RS4 rail valve
- Integrated Engineering HPFP
- Aeromotive 340 pump with custom basket
-APR inline lpfp kit

With the parts listed above we were able to tune the car for 25psi with the limiting factor being the lpfp.

I ditched the APR lpfp kit since that seemed to be a bottleneck in my system and then added the Torqbyte_ PM3 module. With the PM3 installed were able to increase the boost by 2psi (27psi total) since it was now able to supply more fuel.

The lpfp pressure was holding MUCH better going in the higher rpms. Before adding the PM3 my low pressure would be in the 3's by redline but now it doesn't go below 4.5bar

About a week ago I decided to try out the deatschwerks Dw65v pump since I've read a lot of positive things.

I ran into a few snags when trying to install the dw65v. As you can see in the pic below its a lot bigger than the 340 pump. The bracket that held the 340 pump was too small to fit the dw65v...so as a temporary fix I have it held in place with a zip tie. Also, the dw65v pump did not come with a fuel strainer so I got a generic one from autozone, cut it so it would fit around the pump like a sock and put a clamp around it. I'm still waiting to hear back from deatschwerks to get me one that will fit.

Here is a graph I made showing the 340 pump with the PM3 vs the dw65v with the PM3

The flow is pretty similar except towards the higher rpms, where it really counts. With the 340 pump I would feel the car wanting to misfire towards redline but with the dw65v that feeling is gone. The DW pump is also much quieter and overall feel through the rpms feels solid.

Updated graphs showing the 340 with pm3 vs the dw65v with pm3:

While the PM3 is doing what it's designed to do, I want more powArrr. I think I could get a lot more out of the DW pump with a few more changes. When logging the lpfp duty (block 106)... the max duty the ecu will "allow" is 91.8%. Other's data logs I've seen online will confirm this as well. Getting a higher duty % leads me to the next goodie on my wish list.

I plan on upgrading from eurodynes BM+ to Torqbyte's CM5 and using that to give the pump the extra juice it needs. Yes, i know the BM+ could run the pump too, but it's older technology and can overheat easily. I also don't really care for the BM+ interface. I'm waiting for Torqbyte's CM5 software to be released before I pull the trigger but hopefully it will be soon [emoji106]��

Check back for my updates!

Post your setups on here too!

UPDATE: 8-24-15

installed new goodies earlier this afternoon

Made a new harness for the new map sensor

Making another harness to go from the CM5 to the oem lpfp controller

New map sensor tucked away

CM5 connected to oem controller and CM5 connected to the PM3 [emoji106]?

I'll just leave this here [emoji41]

UPDATE: 9-12-15

pulled the trigger on a walbro 450. Should hopefully have it later next week

UPDATE: 9-24-15

Walbro450 vs dw65v size comparison

Walbro 450 has been installed and running just fine. Just need to to a few more tweaks to get the pump map perfect. I think the rs4 injectors are finally maxed out

Last edited:

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion

Sonic789

Passed Driver's Ed
I will try and get some logs tonight, I'm currently getting a fuel cut (what it feels like) at 6000rpm, duty cycle was 91%. Can't recall what the bar was.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I'll throw mine in here since I dont see anyone else running a surge tank setup:

Engine is built, HTA 3586 turbo. Aux port injection and W/M port injection.

Golf R in-tank pump wired into an ignition switch powered relay feeds a surge tank. Two Bosch 044's feed directly from that, one goes to the stock DI system and is powered by the stock controller with the heat sink relocation kits I make. The other pump is powered in the same manner as the Golf R pump, run through a 60 psi regulator and returned to the OEM tank. You have to divorce the AUX system from the DI system because the pressure in the DI system fluctuates too much to be able to tune your AUX setup.

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
I'll throw mine in here since I dont see anyone else running a surge tank setup:

Engine is built, HTA 3586 turbo. Aux port injection and W/M port injection.

Golf R in-tank pump wired into an ignition switch powered relay feeds a surge tank. Two Bosch 044's feed directly from that, one goes to the stock DI system and is powered by the stock controller with the heat sink relocation kits I make. The other pump is powered in the same manner as the Golf R pump, run through a 60 psi regulator and returned to the OEM tank. You have to divorce the AUX system from the DI system because the pressure in the DI system fluctuates too much to be able to tune your AUX setup.

Very interesting. Didn't know you had your setup like that. [emoji106]?

So you're running 3 pumps correct?

How's your pressure on the low side?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Very interesting. Didn't know you had your setup like that. [emoji106]?

So you're running 3 pumps correct?

How's your pressure on the low side?

Yes, 3 pumps. Golf R and two 044's. Low side pressure for the AUX system is regulated with a mini fuelab regulator at 60 psi. The DI LP system is regulated by another fuelab mini regulator at 6.6 bar (stock filter regulating pressure, 96 psi). Duty cycle on the DI 044 was ~70% with the AUX system not turned on and no W/M at 25 psi. All lines and fittings in my system are -6 AN including at the stock LPFP.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
^^^That's purdy.

Have you been able to get on the dyno?

I need to but I've been trying to wait until I get the IE manifold

Not yet, had issues with blowby due to the shitty .DO tune I started with no allowing the rings to seat. Now i'm converting to an O6A block and shaving the firewall/making a custom engine harness so its going to be a little while until I can get the numbers. Expecting it to be at or just above 700whp

Sonic789

Passed Driver's Ed
5557 precision | rs4 prv | rs4 injectors | eurodyne | ttrs pump| apr hpfp | 3" exhaust | 3" intercooler | aem watermeth

I recently changed the thrust sensor and also installed the new pm3 setup. I have a stock pwm and fuel filter on order.

Don't mean to thread jack, it's all related discussion though :)

Gtx3071, 155bar valve, rail request is 145, running bosch 044 in a modified basket, it's good until you get to less than 1/4 tank.

Getting the dw65v just for fun and testing. Will be getting an extension harness from eurocars soon too.