GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wavetrac LSD Installed - '08 DSG GTI

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
My girlfriend got to bring my car back home from GMP Performance in Charlotte, NC. I haven't gotten a chance to drive the car myself because I'm currently deployed.

Before I go any further, I have to say that the customer service at GMP Performance is just fantastic. Seriously, if any of you live near Charlotte, NC, I highly recommend you check them out for any work you need done. They also did my APR tune a few months ago, and the service was just as great.

For those of you contemplating this upgrade, you're going to need to purchase some other parts in addition to the diff. Namely, a 02E DSG Differential Bearing Kit and correctly sized shims from VW. The part number for my shims is 02B709210B, and the dimensions ended up being .75mm thick, stock inner diameter, and 73mm outer diameter. To get the correct outer diameter, the tech at GMP had to machine it down by 1mm. Other people might find they need a different size, but at least now you have a place to start. Fortunately, the Wavetrac for the DSG transmission (02E) comes with ring gear bolts to replace the stock rivets that have to be drilled out.

Here's a link to GMP's picture gallery of my car throughout the install. There's some pretty neat looking stuff inside the transmission.

Here are some pictures from that gallery:

DSG Tranny with Stock Diff

Wavetrac Diff
and Stock Diff w/ Ring Gear

Drilling Out Stock Rivets

Wavetrac Diff Installed

I should also mention that before any work was done, they put together an order of replacement parts (seals, O-rings, etc.) that I had to purchase so that the trasmission could be properly serviced/reassembled. I authorized payment for the order, they got the parts and installed them. Nice and easy.​

Juggern@ut

Yezus Krys
Car(s)
GTi MKV
Good shit man. I'm contemplating getting this done after my big turbo install. How much did the labor cost?

You with 82nd? I'm deployed with 101st right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
Good shit man. I'm contemplating getting this done after my big turbo install. How much did the labor cost?

Nah, I work with the Air Force.

The labor was $1700. It's a very involved install, and it got my 80,000 mile DSG service out of the way also.

SIIIICK08

Ready to race!
damn that labor cost more than my turbo install. at least i know now what to expect!

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Congrats on the install! I had mine done a few months back and love it as well. It's the way our cars should have come from the factory.

And I have to say, regardless of what stage tune you have, it's nice to not have one wheel peel anymore.

We need to start a DSG LSD club lol.

Millennium Falcon

Ready to race!
Looks great!

Whats the haps mang!?

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
Congrats on the install! I had mine done a few months back and love it as well. It's the way our cars should have come from the factory.

And I have to say, regardless of what stage tune you have, it's nice to not have one wheel peel anymore.

We need to start a DSG LSD club lol.

Thanks, man! :thumbsup:

I haven't seen very many people with this diff, and I've seen even fewer who have it with the DSG. I can't wait to get home to try it myself --especially, with my uber light OZ wheels. Plus, it can only get better after I install all the new suspension parts I have waiting for me at home. :thumbup:

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
Thanks, man! :thumbsup:

I haven't seen very many people with this diff, and I've seen even fewer who have it with the DSG. I can't wait to get home to try it myself --especially, with my uber light OZ wheels. Plus, it can only get better after I install all the new suspension parts I have waiting for me at home. :thumbup:

Congrats! Not a common mod at all. I have heard great things about GMP. I had mine done at BFI a few months back:
http://blackforestindustries.com/blog/2014/05/12/mk5-gti-k04-dsg-upgrades-more/

Ran into the same issues with the shims and spec'd the wrong teeth for the diff. When you get back stateside you are welcome to try out mine with the K04. :thumbsup:

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
What made you go LSD with only a stage 2?

Not his reason but I would say because they're ridiculously useful for accelerating out of corners although clutch type is better than a torsen for this. My friend has a LSD in his 110 HP / 1900 lb civic and the driving experience is ridiculous at launch and out of corners even though he has a crappy power / weight ratio.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Not his reason but I would say because they're ridiculously useful for accelerating out of corners although clutch type is better than a torsen for this. My friend has a LSD in his 110 HP / 1900 lb civic and the driving experience is ridiculous at launch and out of corners even though he has a crappy power / weight ratio.

What he said ^ :thumbsup:

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
You mention a replacement parts list (seals, O-rings, etc.). Can you share this list? I am intending to install a Wavetrac LSD myself and any information I can get will be helpful.

Thanks!

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
For now, mostly just because I wanted it. For later, it's already out of the way when I go beyond Stage 2.
Lol I always buy pointless shit on deployment because, well, I can.

Not saying this is pointless, "because deployment" is reason enough to buy anything.