GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spark Plug DIY (now with 50% more pics and low sodium)

sc0ttyb

plays with matches
Updated: 08/04/2011

Wow, this thread is still being used? Cool!

I've gone ahead and moved the images over to imgur (full album here), removed the links to the larger images (kind of unnecessary), and added the gap info for the NGK plugs.

I haven't had my GTI for several years, so if any of this information is outdated, I apologize!

----------

Okay, so what started out as this thread (http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14778) turned into this one.

Disclaimer: You do this stuff at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any damage, blah blah blah. You know the drill.

The whole process is really quite simple and takes maybe an hour if you like to take your time. Here's what you need:

Box o' plugs (I used the BKR7EIX NGKs -- the stock plugs are Bosch)
5/8" spark plug socket
Ratchet
Decent-size extension

I also used a couple of zipties for removing the coil packs, but there are several ways you can do it safely.

What I Used

New NGK Iridium IX Plugs - BKR7EIX (not BKR7EIX-11)

To the best of my knowledge, these plugs are pre-gapped, so you should be good to go. At least, mine were all gapped fine right out of the box. I'd double check them, anyway, in case there was a manufacturing fault. If they're not gapped correctly DO NOT try to adjust them. The electrodes on iridium plugs are very fragile. Send 'er back for a new one.

Also:

The plugs I used (the NGKs) are pre-gapped at .030. There is another run of these plugs with the part number BKR7EIX-11, but those are gapped at around .044 (I believe), so the ones without the -11 are the ones to get.

Spark Plug Socket

Da Woik

Once you have the engine cover off, here's what you should be looking at.

First, you'll need to unclip the electrical connections from the coil packs. To save yourself some hassle, pull the connections snuggly onto the coil packs. This ensures that the clips will unsnap easily.

Now, rock the lip on the clip backwards gently until you hear a little "click". Repeat for all 4 clips.

You'll probably notice that I numbered the coil packs and the connectors. It's not necessary, but I like to keep things grouped the way they came.

After the connectors are all unclipped, push them off toward the back of the car. You should now be looking at this.

Move it back out of the way so it doesn't flop back down while you're trying to work.

Now it's time to start removing the coil packs. The rubber bits help keep the coil pack all snug inside, so they're kinda annoying to get out. Here's my ziptie method, if you're so inclined to follow.

With the coil pack out, hook up your plug socket and extension and feed the end down into the hole.

The rubber sleeve inside the socket fits over the insulator (the long white part) so that it doesn't fall out of the socket when you're trying to remove or reinstall it.

I prefer to fit the socket and extension on with my hand first so I can feel the socket line up and get snug.

Once your socket's got the end of the plug, start loosening it with yer ratchet. It'll take several, several turns to get it totally free.

Here's your old, nasty plug!

To install the new plug, take the old one out of the socket, push the new one in, then reverse the steps.

Be sure to finger-tighten the plugs first until they start to get snug, then take your ratchet and tighten them another 1/2-2/3 turn. Mine started tightening pretty well at 1/4 turn, so I just tightened it the full 1/2 and left it at that.

That's pretty much all there is to it! :biggrin:

Last edited:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
great write-up!

haven't done the plugs on my gti, but i have done them on my b5, and i used a 5/8 spark plug socket with a long arm, so i wouldn't have to worry about losing the extension. the one i used was a great neck #28004

more info here:
http://greatnecksaw.com/product_info.php/pName/38-dr-socket-flex-ext-11x58

i picked mine up at an auto parts store (pep boys, autozone, etc), but you can also buy it at amazon or other locations

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-28004-Flex-Ext/dp/B000CMDPS0

other manuf. probably make similar tools too.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
yeah the spark plug sockets can sometime get stuck in there. I find when tightening it i had to go with a socket w/out the rubber to hold the spark plug, or just remove the rubber piece and you can put it back afterwards.

Good write up!!

moveingfaster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 R32
Help!

:help: Hello, I just changed my spark plugs today using this DIY. It was really easy. I drove my car around all day with no problems and now tonight my battery light came on and the engine stopped while I was driving. My headlights and radio did not go out but my engine died. I was able to get the car restarted. The rest of the drive home the car felt very underpowered. Anybody Have any idea what it is? Thanks. Today I also changed my air filter to the ITG filter. :bow:

Last edited:

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
:help: Hello, I just changed my spark plugs today using this DIY. It was really easy. I drove my car around all day with no problems and now tonight my battery light came on and the engine stopped while I was driving. My headlights or radio did not go out but my engine died. I was able to get the car restarted. The rest of the drive home the car felt very underpowered. Anybody Have any idea what it is? Thanks. Today I also changed my air filter to the iga filter. :bow:

any CEL? can you hear the Turbo spooling?? You could be in LIMP mode??

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Nice write-up! I'm not sure what the stock gap is on that plug or what VW recommends.

On the 1.8t side of the house we found that the NGK BKR6E (one step colder than stock) worked best at a gap of .028 (best bottom-end response) for stock configurations in hot weather (less chance of detonation in hot climates) and for modded engines (bigger than stock turbos).

Several of us use the Jacobs Electronics plug gapper because it places the side electrode in perfect alignment with the center electrode as it was stock for the manufacture.

Tool:

Detailed info:

Also, being old school and having built several Aircooled and Watercooled engines and raced a lot... it would help in placing just a dab of oil or some lubricant and the plugs threads before re-installing. They will never cease up on you, nor will you ever have to heli coil! Aluminum heads gather a lot of heat and have to disapate it too.

Example of old school Aircooled Horse Power (this in the "old VW Bug" would Kill your MKV GTI):