GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed MA Insprection

bcmgoblue

Passed Driver's Ed
So I took my car in for an inspection this morning and I was nervous since last year the guy passed me but told me that next year he won't since my exhaust is too loud (it's not that loud). So I brought it to another place and the exhaust noise was ok but I got a rejection sticker because the OBD couldn't detect anything. I'm confused because I have APR Stage II with a catless dp and still passed last year. This year's result looks the same to me.

The overall result this year was "Refer MAC (Motorist Assistance Center)" whatever that means.

The first pic below is the 2013 rejection and the second pic is the 2012 pass. Can anybody shed light on why I failed?

Attachments

• IMG_20131221_115059.jpg
    IMG_20131221_115059.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_20131221_142131.jpg
    IMG_20131221_142131.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 1,165
Last edited:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
The overall result this year was "Refer MAC (Motorist Assistance Center)" whatever that means.

It means you are boned. You had a not ready on your cat, see http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/motorist_emissions.html

The MAC centers are state run and very through, my advice would be to install a OEM downpipe/CAT and reflash back to stock. I don't know what other aftermarket equipment you have but expect problems if its not 100% in compliance with the law.

From the MAC website:
Your vehicle may be referred to a MAC if:

The emissions test analyzer identified something unusual in your inspection that should be verified before you spend money on repairs;
Your vehicle is having repeated problems with readiness that indicate you may need additional assistance;
Your vehicle has been selected for a program evaluation inspection; or
You have a specialty vehicle, such as a kit car.

If your vehicle has been referred to a MAC, it will need to be evaluated there before you can return it to an inspection station to complete the inspection process. If you want to apply for an Economic Hardship Failure Extension or a Waiver of Emission Standards, your vehicle will need to be evaluated at a MAC to confirm that it meets the requirements. Call the Motorist Hotline at 1-866-941-6277 for more information or to make an appointment at a MAC that is convenient for you.

bcmgoblue

Passed Driver's Ed
According to the MA inspection website:

2001 and newer model year vehicles may have a maximum of one (1) “not ready” non-continuous monitor.

Don't have only have 1 "not ready" or do the "not supported" also count? I'm just confused because my 2012 inspection passed without any issues. I have no CEL and haven't done anything to my car in a couple months.

You probably have the test pipe file from your stage 2 flash which will make you fail readiness.

Not sure of MA's inspection rules but with a catless dp, you definitely would have failed a sniff test.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
You probably have the test pipe file from your stage 2 flash which will make you fail readiness.

Not sure of MA's inspection rules but with a catless dp, you definitely would have failed a sniff test.

for a standard ma inspection there is no sniff test or visual, only obi

i pass every year on the subaru catless with evap delete (readiness forced with software), long as nothing has changed i don't expect difficulties next year either

a loud exhaust is a gamble at random stations in ma cause of the shit laws

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Here is the key. You can have one not ready monitor but it can't be the cat monitor...

"2001 and newer model year vehicles may have a maximum of one (1) “not ready” non-continuous monitor.
If the vehicle failed the emissions test with a catalytic converter-related diagnostic trouble code, the vehicle’s catalyst monitor must be “ready” to pass the retest."

obdboost

Ready to race!
Apr test pipe file does not pass in ma. You need a tune that's does not write not the readiness monitors. You are not allow to not support them any more. It something that ma change, before ur tune would pass in ma but not anymore.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I'm in the same boat as OP, having failed twice this year in Ma: once with APR K04 tuning and again at the MAC center when I got retested with the GIAC K04 tune. I suspect I was mistakenly flashed with the test pipe files even though I'm running a catted dp.

I'm going to try again with DM tuning in a week or two. Hopefully the third time's the charm, lulz.

Incidentally, I'd always passed with APR Stage 1 and Stage 2+, with the same exhaust hardware.

Please continue to update this thread, especially once you get retested. I'll let you know how my next inspection goes.

bcmgoblue

Passed Driver's Ed
So I guess my only option here is to get a catted dp and re-flash to stock for the MAC appointment?

I'll let you guys know what happens thanks for the help!

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Look for posts by GIACUser where he talks about his emissions compliant setup. He has a 42 Draft Designs downpipe with a full-sized cat section bolted-in, fabbed up by 42dd, and which is supposed to legitimately pass inspection without any sketchy funny business. Their dp's are modular so you could go that route and swap the cat out for either a testpipe section or their higher-flow cat after you pass inspection (hopefully). Contact 42dd and ask them how much this setup would cost. They don't show it as an option on their website but I've talked with them and they are willing to make more dp's like GIACUser's one, by request.

If you reflash to stock, there's a good chance you'll get a CEL unless you have a quality cat and the right 02 sensor spacer(s); a tiny 100 cell cat probably won't cut it. I'm hoping I won't throw a CEL and be able to pass with my upcoming Driver Motorsport tune with all Readinesses enabled, my 42dd high flow cat'd dp (not the same as GIACUser's; their standard catted dp), and a 42dd 02 sensor spacer.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
I passed my Illinois emission test few months ago, but I do have a billy boat catted dp plus the o2 sensor spacer and APR's k04 tune was a non issue for me. You just need to request from APR a stock mode non test pipe file, and rest of them can be test pipe files. Just switch it to the stock mode before you get tested and let the codes clear. With a catless dp I doubt you would be able to clear the codes with any of the o2 sensor spacers kit on the market. Below are the pics of what codes have to pass.

Last edited:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I passed my Illinois emission test few months ago, but I do have a billy boat catted dp with a o2 sensor spacer and APR's k04 tune was a non issue for me. You just need to request from APR a stock mode non test pipe file, and rest of them can be test pipe files. Just switch it to the stock mode before you get tested and let the codes clear. With a catless dp I doubt you would be able to clear the codes with any of the o2 sensor spacers kit on the market. Below are the pics of what codes have to pass.

What does "Fuel System" refer to? With my GIAC tune it came up as Unsupported, which is one of the readiness monitors that caused my car to fail.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
No idea Bunnspeed. Not sure if there is a TSI or FSI difference in codes, but APR's test pipe file will only get 2 fail or incomplete indications from the software.

Number of DTCs stored: 0 -- MIL Status: MIL OFF
Misfire monitoring: Passed
Fuel System: Passed
Comprehensive Components: Passed
Catalyst monitoring: Failed or Incomplete
Heated catalyst monitoring: Not installed.
Evaporative system monitoring: Passed
Secondary air system monitoring: Not installed.
A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor monitoring: Failed or Incomplete
Oxygen sensor heater monitoring: Passed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Passed