GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel line rattle DIY

Thomas117

Ready to race!
Ive taken my car to the dealer TWICE to get this fixed...still rattling, so i thought id take matters into my own hands.
I am aware that someone on the forums did a similar setup with bubble wrap. So im not trying to take credit for his idea, but rather help out more people. THE RATTLING IS SOO ANNOYING!!

Tools needed:

-torx screwdriver
-10mm socket wrench
-car jack
-foam sheets
(can be purchased at an office supply store)

Step 1

Jack the passenger side car up.

Step 2

Remove the 2 torx screws underneath the car next to the front passenger side wheel.

Step 3

Using the socket wrench remove the 8 screws holding up the bottom panel.

This is what it looks like once you get it off.

Step 4

Place the foam sheets between the fuel line and the car. This will help reduce rattle.

*If you're worried about the foam sheets getting loose and falling off use tape to keep them in place.

Step 5

Further towards the front of the car there is a hole in the metal casing that houses the fuel line. I think this is where the rattle occurs because the line is loose in the casing. Stuff a few sheets of foam paper in the whole to prevent the fuel line from rattling.

Step 6

Reassemble

*If the rattling continues repeat Step 5 by adding more foam into the metal casing.

Your job is done, B.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
Looks good man. Virtually identical to the TSB I saw for the rattle except they had a piece of foam moulded for those three lines. Dealer managed to fix mine the first time and interestingly the repair reciept listed some sort of "clip" under parts instead of foam... but who knows.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Looks like a PITA. I would just try another dealer. My dealer fixed mine the first time and it only took them about 30 minutes.

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
I have been back three times and still have the rattle. Interestingly, it comes and goes. Regardless, it really takes the pleasure away from the joy of driving such a great car. Now all I have to do is figure out what at torx screwdriver is and what foam sheets look like (size, thickness?). I know it is now obvious but I am not, repeat not, mechanically talented. Anyway, thanks again for your post!!!

Thomas117

Ready to race!
I have been back three times and still have the rattle. Interestingly, it comes and goes. Regardless, it really takes the pleasure away from the joy of driving such a great car. Now all I have to do is figure out what at torx screwdriver is and what foam sheets look like (size, thickness?). I know it is now obvious but I am not, repeat not, mechanically talented. Anyway, thanks again for your post!!!

torx screwdriver

Foam sheets. like i said can be purchased at an office supply store probably in the packing and shipping section. The thiner the better because it ccan be folded to create the perfect thickness.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Looks like a PITA. I would just try another dealer. My dealer fixed mine the first time and it only took them about 30 minutes.

lol. you. thats cake work. i know you probably never did anything yourself, mod-wise that is.

grdr

Go Kart Newbie
thank you!!! I first looked at your post on my office PC and it did not show the photos. Now I am on my personal laptop and voila! thanks for the education!!!

knowmad

Passed Driver's Ed
I am like 99% sure i have the fuel line rattle,

but it only happens when i drive over bumps.

is this possible, or does it only occur when at idle?

btw - i have fixed the diffuser vent rattle already, this one is coming from behind the glove box.

I am like 99% sure i have the fuel line rattle,

but it only happens when i drive over bumps.

is this possible, or does it only occur when at idle?

btw - i have fixed the diffuser vent rattle already, this one is coming from behind the glove box.

fuel line rattle usually happens at idle. when you hear a knocking when going over bumps and it comes from the rear then that's the little stoppers on the ends of the strings that life the hatch cover moving around and hitting the inside of the hatch.

knowmad

Passed Driver's Ed
no this is without a doubt coming from the dashboard, right behind the glove box, but like i said, its not a problem at idle. does anyone else experience this? the roads around here are pitiful, so its driving me nuts

fuel line rattle usually happens at idle. when you hear a knocking when going over bumps and it comes from the rear then that's the little stoppers on the ends of the strings that life the hatch cover moving around and hitting the inside of the hatch.