GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Window Heater/Demister Busted

martinjames

Car(s)
Golf Mk5
Hi Guys,

Before i start, apologies if someone has already posted relating to this problem I have. The rear window heater on my mark 5 golf has stopped working. When I push the button the light comes on, but the click noise it used to make when I turn it on has stopped. Ive checked the fuse, looks absolutely fine. Just in time for the cold weather. Really annoying! Any help gratefully received. Some people mentioned a relay or something? Couldn't locate this though. Ive checked the wires on the window and there is no obvious signs damage to it.

Thanking you all in advance

Martin

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't think a rear window defroster qualifies as in-car entertainment but who am I to judge? Perhaps you get off watching ice melt.

Anyway, there's a fuse and a relay. If you're sure the fuse is good look for the relay. Supposed to be under the dash on the left hand side (where you normally hear the click). Remove lower dash panel and look for I believe a 35 amp relay by itself.

martinjames

Car(s)
Golf Mk5
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I saw electronics...haha I'm new to this whole forum thing, not sure how to take it apart under the dash but will have a look tomorrow and report back.

Thanks

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
its a fuse (clear, 25 amp)

check the side panel (fuse panel B) located on the driver side and check your manual to see which one it is/where its located

happened to me

oh wait, when I replaced that fuse, it blew out half of the remaining ones :biggrin: good luck!

martinjames

Car(s)
Golf Mk5
its a fuse (clear, 25 amp)

check the side panel (fuse panel B) located on the driver side and check your manual to see which one it is/where its located

happened to me

oh wait, when I replaced that fuse, it blew out half of the remaining ones :biggrin: good luck!

Tried that, all of the fuses are fine, was the only thing I was capable of checking being crap at mechanical and DIY related stuff. Sure I'll get in a proper strop trying to find this relay under the dash and trying to dismantle the dash!

martinjames

Car(s)
Golf Mk5
I can't access the relay at all. Can't see what screws need to be removed to take off the lower dash and even then I don't know if I should be taking out the lower dash below steering wheel or the glove compartment side...! Nightmare job for someone with bad DIY skills!

Dave167

Hi Martin, I have the exact same car. You don't need to wprry about taking out any screws at all.

Under the dash by your right knee, there is a drop down pocket cubby hole thingy. Once it's dropped down, pull it directly backwards and it will pop off. The relay you want is right in the middle and has the number 53 on it. I am having the same/similar problem as you. Mine will work sometimes, but other times you press the button and it just flashes at me.

I will dig out the part number that VW gave me as the one that was in mine has been changed twice now for a newer part number.

Dave167

Part number for my relay was:
141 951 253 B

This was replaced with:
8K0 951 253

which was, in turn, replaced with:
4H0 951 253 A

My local VW supplies this @ £14.51!!

So I think I'll be doing a bit of hunting around in cyberspace lol.

If you google these part numbers you may notice that they are coming up as being used for different systems in different cars. The last part number was the one the guy gave me when I just told him what it was for, so I am safely taking this info to be correct, as I've googled my original part number and it, too, came up as a different system.

Dave167

Thats a pretty standard 12v relay, any auto shop, hobby shop should have one.

Yea that's the sort of thought I had, what with various different systems incorporating this relay into it. Definitely not paying £14.50 for a little plastic box with a few wires and stuff in lol

vagike

My dad's wiring harness broke at the hinge for the trunk.