GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT-RS BRAKE FITTING on mk5

thunderous1

a proud new owner
Car(s)
black magic mk5 gti
just got a bargain full front set, do these go straight on or what else do i need to fit these bad boys :readthethread:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
physically it does bolt right on ...

Sadly you'll also need a new master cylinder and booster:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175147

If you have the small 22.22 mm MC (which continental euro Mk.V GTIs have),
that one is WAY to small and give you poor pedal feel and pedal travel !!!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Yes, wheel options from factory are limited for the TT-RS due to brake size.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
370 x 32 mm rotors and Brembo 4-pots

Believe me, the TT-RS/RS3 master cylinder IS neccessary to keep pedal travel short und pedal feel stiff.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Wow....

Where are you sourcing the brackets? And what wheels will these fit behind. 14.5in rotors!!

Also what are you doing to the rears. Seems likely that bias will be off by a huge amount.

Wow, they look great

lippyjump

Ready to race!
Believe me, the TT-RS/RS3 master cylinder IS neccessary to keep pedal travel short und pedal feel stiff.

Why? I have driven 3 Gti's with big brake kits. 4 pot Stoptech, 4 Pot Brembo, and 6 piston Porsche Cayenne set up.

The 6 piston Cayenne set up is a much larger than the 4 piston TTRS caliper. The brake pedal throw was longer, but it was tolerable and heel/toe was still no problem. Pedal felt great as well.

If you go the 6 piston route I would recommend updating your master cylinder, but even those that haven't are still happy with their brakes.

Have you tried the TTRS calipers on a gti? The rotors are absolute :happyanim::happyanim: but a 370mm rotor sure wouldn't be much fun when it comes time to replace... :thumbsup:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Why? Because these Audi TT-RS calipers are designed to work with a 25 mm master cylinder.
Audi didn't intend to fit this brake to a Golf.

I also NEVER would install Cayenne calipers to a GTI. The longer pedal travel you experienced
indicates there is something wrong. More specific: the calipers pistons are too large. This will
change brake balance, brake booster charateristics (keep im mind the GTI one is 'dual rate'),
hysteresis and brake assist threshold.

Shurely the car will get increased stopping distances !!

Why spending that money to make things worse?

Volkswagen spent years to optimise braking on the GTI. Of course it is possible to improve
things, but to make it better you need to know about it. Brake hydraulics, brake electronics,
pad materials and so on.

PS: no bracket required !! Brackets are part of the caliper:

lippyjump

Ready to race!
Why? Because these Audi TT-RS calipers are designed to work with a 25 mm master cylinder.
Audi didn't intend to fit this brake to a Golf.

I also NEVER would install Cayenne calipers to a GTI. The longer pedal travel you experienced
indicates there is something wrong. More specific: the calipers pistons are too large. This will
change brake balance, brake booster charateristics (keep im mind the GTI one is 'dual rate'),
hysteresis and brake assist threshold.

Shurely the car will get increased stopping distances !!

Why spending that money to make things worse?

Volkswagen spent years to optimise braking on the GTI. Of course it is possible to improve
things, but to make it better you need to know about it. Brake hydraulics, brake electronics,
pad materials and so on.

The stopping power on the Cayenne kit was IMMENSE. Much stronger than OEM. Its the same as the ECS St5 kit for sale. It was my understanding the dual rate brake booster on these cars was operated by an inertia valve, not travel. This wouldn't be affected by the caliper choice...

But back to point, MANY people on this forum have 4 piston BBK kits with pistons that look larger than the TTRS ones. Everyone loves their upgrade to a 4 piston kit.

Years on the Gti brakes? I think days, maybe weeks. Where are you getting this information?

Those calipers don't look much bigger than on a Boxster either, and those feel perfect on these cars.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
If Audi designed the RS calipers to work with a 25mm master cyl I'd be inclined to match up the correct parts. The perceived size of the caliper is less important than the piston area you're trying to push. There are plenty of upgrade paths that will work fine with our stock master though. My car worked well with R32 brakes front and rear, I've driven other dubs with bigger brakes and didn't note anything weird or wrong with the stock master or the brake action.

lippyjump

Ready to race!
If Audi designed the RS calipers to work with a 25mm master cyl I'd be inclined to match up the correct parts. The perceived size of the caliper is less important than the piston area you're trying to push. There are plenty of upgrade paths that will work fine with our stock master though. My car worked well with R32 brakes front and rear, I've driven other dubs with bigger brakes and didn't note anything weird or wrong with the stock master or the brake action.

Never measured with a caliper, or been able to find exact measurements, but the TTRS caliper pistons look smaller than that of StopTech to the eyeball.

I don't see what the hesitation is to just bolting these on, bleeding them, and seeing how it goes? Your only limiting factor now should be getting your wheels to clear, other than that go and give it a try!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
MANY people on this forum have 4 piston BBK kits with pistons that look larger than the TTRS ones.

Many people do silly things. No reason for me doing the same.

"look larger" includes you don't know it.

I don't see what the hesitation is to just bolting these on, bleeding them, and seeing how it goes?

At least you'll get an increase in pedal travel of 15 %. Real world, not believe.

No doubt when fitting S3/R32 brakes on a Mk.V GTI (22,22 mm MC) you get increased pedal
travel. A bigger MC reduces wheel travel. Both is simple physics.

- 22,22 mm (Mk.V GTI)
- 23,81 mm (Mk.V R32, Mk.VI GTI, Golf R)
- 25,40 mm (RS3 + TT-RS)

That's the way it is at least in continental Europe. RHD cars at least do come with different
brake booster.
From what I read unfortunately the 25,40 mm MC does not fit smaller brake boosters.

Interesting to see VW changed from the small 22,22 mm MC on the Mk.V GTI to the same
23,81 mm MC the old R32 already had. That does mean a Mk.VI GTI is better prepared for
fitting R-brakes than the Mk.V GTI.