GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Fog lights for Rabbit/Golf

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
This is a DIY for the fog light wires routing and pin install. I did not include the actual light install because it was easy. This is the kit from oempl.us, so I don't know how it would be using other kits.

Tools:
Star drive screw driver
Ratchet and sockets
Screw driver
Pliers

1. Remove the battery and battery plastic guard for clearance.

2. Remove relay cover => Just below steering wheel (use star drive, 2 screws)

3. Just above the clutch pedal, there is a small hole. There’s a wire bundle (about 1” diameter) with a rubber boot around it. Poke a hole through the rubber boot (you can locate in engine bay where it will come out)

Use a wire hanger or safety wire as a guide wire.

In the engine bay just behind battery mount, guide wire should poke through. Wrap guide wire to the fog light pin and wire and route the two wires in to the driver cabin.

4. Locate the plugs below the steering wheel. As you look up you will see this formation of plugs.

The wire/pins from fog lights should be labeled. Plug A pin 4 is one, and Plug D pin 2 is the other. The plugs should be disconnected. Plug A and D have a locking mechanism (purple in color, sorry blurry). This needs to be pulled out so that the pin locks will disengage. After it is unlocked, the pins will slide right in. Press the purple lock back in to lock the pins in.

The trigger switch wire goes to Plug E pin 6, the other end of the trigger switch wire goes to the connector on the actual light switch pin 5.

Plug E and the light switch plug unlock similarly. By locating a small tab on the plugs, you can use a jewelers screw driver to prop the tab up and the cover should slide right off. (Plug E is very similar to the light switch plug, pictured is the light switch plug).

5. All that’s left is routing the wires in the engine bay. Remember to use zip tie to have cleanliness and also to keep wires from getting tangled.

Installing the fog lights is actually simple and takes only about 5 minutes. If you can’t figure it out then drink a bottle of bleach because you suck!

6. Tool inventory is a must! Make sure you account for all the tools.

7. The system should not be able to turn on without VAG. Good luck with the rest of the install.

Post up if you have questions and lmk if I missed something, I'll correct it.
If you are in So Cal, I can help you out, just PM me.

Thanks all,
Remus

Last edited:

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
Just an update every one. I went to the meet last night and someone helped be vag my car. The system would not at all take any codes, so the fog lights remained off. Well, I did more research on vortex and it seems that high line could not be avoided at all.

So I did a search on 1stvwparts.com this part number: 3C0937049AG and it was listed for $253.00:eyebulge: . I almost shelled out the cash just because I was so desperate to turn this damn thing on. Well, I did the smart thing and I went to the junk yard. I actually went to six yards until I found this badly bruised CW GTI.

I found this high line. I guess it's a HCECM:

I almost missed the GTI because the guy who worked there had no clue where the cars were located. At first I asked if they had MkV Jettas, they did but none of them had high line modules. The GTI was so badly destroyed that I walked by it like 4 times looking for a Jetta. I was lucky enough to have noticed the HID sitting on top of the hood and recognized the familiar MkV head lights' shape.

So the guy takes it off the car by cutting all of the wires. He didn't know how to remove the plugs so he just cuts the whole bundle. So I take the module back to the office and the guy behind the counter asked me what car it was off of so I said that GTI right there, pointing to the damaged car. He asked me if it was tagged with a price and I said no. So he talks to the dude that took it off the car in Spanish, and after about 2 minutes of arguments he shakes his head. He had no clue what it cost so he says to me, "Is 60 bucks fair to you?" I tried to keep myself from laughing and jumping up and down for joy and said, "Oh, that's a lot, but I guess I need it, so I'll take it." Suckas! I saved about $200.00 plus shipping. :thumbup:

Well, sorry for the long story but I installed the high line module. It only took me 15 minutes to install, if that. The fogs are running but it looks like I'll need to re-vag because my high beams aren't turning on. Everything else works fine, but not the high beams for some reason. To be continued.

Off:

On:

BDI

Ready to race!
The wire/pins from fog lights should be labeled. Plug A pin 4 is one, and Plug D pin 2 is the other. The plugs should be disconnected. Plug A and D have a locking mechanism (purple in color, sorry blurry). This needs to be pulled out so that the pin locks will disengage. After it is unlocked, the pins will slide right in. Press the purple lock back in to lock the pins in.

Thread back from the dead.

For these 2 wires, does anyone know what each of these 2 wires do?

1 for trigger and the other for power to the relay?? I need to know what Plug A pin 4 supports and what Plug D pin 2 supports.

Thanks in advance.

BDI

Ready to race!
or Does anyone know if the R32 has a highline central electronics controller like the GTI??

BDI

Ready to race!
What are the vagcom settings needed to activate the foglights?