GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P2015 Manifold Malfunction AGAIN!; 2009 TSI

MYGTIMKV

Ready to race!
Hello Boys and Girls,

@ ~28K MIL comes on, I had my intake manifold replaced/"flapper motor" replaced under warranty

Now @ ~83K MIL comes on; I scan myself with actron scanner (fancy huh) and I get one code P2015 manifold malfunction...car is running okay, slight stumble at idle

I research and and it appears to be the same problem I had @ 28K.

Do I have an extended warranty since it had been replaced before?
Is there a TSB for my 2009 TSI?

Seems like us TSI guys have our own "cam follower"...please don't discuss-just being cheeky!

All feedback/suggestions appreciated

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
There is a TSB but it was only for certain VIN numbers. Not sure it extended into the 2009 models. Mine is a 2008.5 TSI and it was NOT included in the TSB but my dealership covered it anyway because it was a well known issue. Sorry to hear you're having this problem again. Maybe it's time to contact VWoA.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Not sure, but think you will get the same code for the loose gas cap. Check it, drive around, see if it goes away.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
I'd say if it was replaced once under warranty you should be in the clear for round 2. If not definitely plead your case with WVoA. Good luck

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This belongs in the Engine section. Only if you have the extended warranty is it likely will VW replace it for free. You need to contact a DEALER or VW CUSTOMER CARE to see if you have an extended warranty. This can be accomplished by using the device commonly known as a "phone".

MYGTIMKV

Ready to race!
^FED

I may not know as much as you, but you often (too often) post threads that piss people off...

I can't help it if this section gets the most attention...
Where should your posts go?...hmmm

"Use the phone"...really old man, I am interested in the community's experience not your snarky remark...I thought you were above that, guess not

Can I get a "Steve Harvey"

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Can I get a SEARCH

MYGTIMKV

Ready to race!
I need the experts help and I am trying to piece together what is going on with my TSI and how much this is going to co$t me, sorry but I am a little edgy when looking at $800-1000 repair bill for the 3rd intake manifold in 3 years (new 2009, replaced 2010, and 2012 needs replace? P2015 code can not be cleared)

1.) Called VW0A, no help I have 83,048 miles on 2009 and out of warranty, no good will
2.) Checked gas cap, seems okay put back on and still get code P2015
3.) Slight, but noticable drop in MPG, was ave 31mpg now 29.0 mpg; all hwy miles
4.) I don't think my second intake is the most recent version 06J-133-201-(G); want AS?
5.) Car runs okay, rpm needle is steady (exhaust stumble/hiccup occasionally) 750 rpm, accelerates decent; nothing dramatic yet
6.) I have searched; google, vortex (someone mentions 10 year/120K extended warranty for flapper motor), forums and more forums: lots of stories, now I am looking for suggestions for getting this replaced again!

Do you think I have a shot getting VWoA to help me out and cover replacement?
I don't mind paying for valve getting cleaned, but the manifold design is clearly defective.

I don't have the time/tools/confidence to replace myself (really want to try, but daily commuter)
Why are some cars covered with extended warranty and yet my 2009 is not?
Sample forum thread: PZEV was even mentioned as a reason to cover it for 15years/150K!

I do appreciate all feedback, but telling me about a device called a phone or to try searching is clearly not this forums' best work!

Please help...you could be next!

Does the TSI needing a new manifold every ~25-40K miles seem acceptable to you?

Last edited:

MYGTIMKV

Ready to race!
^true, but if I don't do it myself (not a good place to tinker) then it is 3.5 hr labor @ $105/hr, plus 06J-998-907 repair kit so that is about $500 on the low end of the stealership being merciful.... I would expect charges to be above that since they will likely charge for test driving the car before and after ($12 each way)...b.s things like that, not to mention cost to clean the valves correctly or not.

So $500 if I am luck...$800 with all the extra's they will no doubt add...$>1000 if more work is needed (who knows, I no expert)

I must say doing it myself would feel awesome, but I have read the DIY and I don't have all the tools; I am at the level of changing oil/filters/sparkplugs without f" ing things up.

Thanks for looking...any thoughts?
I am not optimistic this will be covered, but should be a recall, right?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
47k just happened to me today. P2015 intake manifold runner sensor something or other. I checked my gas cap (almost empty) drove around and it went away. I'm wondering if ambient temperatures cause this? I filled up when it was hot 2 days ago and it came on this morning when it was very cold. This afternoon the code is gone, I did clean the cap and filler with a towel and got some more gas.

fierce bad

Ready to race!
My 2009 TSI has had the intake manifold replaced twice under warranty as well. I am hoping the next one dies before I run out of warranty.