GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side Mirror not heating

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
So, I go to turn on my heated side mirrors this morning to get rid of the fog. I notice the passenger's side clears up fine, but the driver's side is taking forever. I have a 20 minute drive to work and the entire time the fog was there. I may just upgrade to heated blind spot mirrors. Anyone else had/having this issue? Anyone have any opinions/reviews of the heated blind spot mirrors?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
You can easily pop your mirror off and check/clean the connectors for the heating element. Just angle your mirror in all the way, then slide your hand behind it from the outside edge and push forward. Get as much of your hand behind it as you can, and hold it from the front with a microfiber cloth (so it doesn't pop loose and break).

If you do it right it will pop out, then you can see the connectors easily and see if they are corroded or disconnected.

As always, use these instructions at your own risk; your mileage may vary; yada yada yada; and other important words. :biggrin:

I had blue tinted blind spot mirrors on my R32; and now on my MKVI TDI as well and I love them. Takes a little getting used to but I get them for all my cars now.

qcbtbx

Car(s)
You can easily pop your mirror off and check/clean the connectors for the heating element. Just angle your mirror in all the way, then slide your hand behind it from the outside edge and push forward. Get as much of your hand behind it as you can, and hold it from the front with a microfiber cloth (so it doesn't pop loose and break).

If you do it right it will pop out, then you can see the connectors easily and see if they are corroded or disconnected.

As always, use these instructions at your own risk; your mileage may vary; yada yada yada; and other important words. :biggrin:

I had blue tinted blind spot mirrors on my R32; and now on my MKVI TDI as well and I love them. Takes a little getting used to but I get them for all my cars now.

thanks bro! I checked out the tinted ones from ECS...they look a little weird, but I figure I might get used to them. I will definitely try that. I remember seeing some instructions on the vortex thread. I will use those, too. :thumbsup:

did you have any issues installing the tinted mirrors? (clips fitting and such)

jshish23

n00b
Car(s)
'08 R32
Where is this so called side mirror heating button?

qcbtbx

Car(s)
Where is this so called side mirror heating button?

Its is a switch/knob rather than a button on your driver side door handle. it is the same switch/knob use to operate movement of your mirrors.

sent from my thunderbolt

qcbtbx

Car(s)
So, I did some investigating.

Heating element and electrical pins seem to be in good condition; no signs of corrosion or anything abnormal. I used my voltmeter to test it while on and off. Started with passenger side mirror; resistance reading and voltage (DC) reading seemed to be good. Resistance for driver side was consistent, but the voltage reading seemed to be off (maybe because I was hoping it was lol).

Can anyone else test with a voltmeter and let me know what you get for resistance and voltage?

I was going to disconnect the pins, but was concerned I might break something. Do they pull off or do they need to be pried off? See pic below.

Attachments

• IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3,970
Last edited:

jshish23

n00b
Car(s)
'08 R32
Its is a switch/knob rather than a button on your driver side door handle. it is the same switch/knob use to operate movement of your mirrors.

sent from my thunderbolt

wowwwwwwwww, I always hated when my mirrors were foggy in the mornings. they did a good job of hiding the logo on the other side of the knob.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
There is an OEM heated split-view mirror that is neutral tinted. I purchased the driver's side from 1stvwparts for the price of two aftermarket blue mirrors. It's very nice since I'm tall and with my seat back there was a bad blind spot.