GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

August Car and Driver extreme tire review

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
C&D did a shootout of summer tires for under $200 ea in our 225-45-17 size. Looks like Dunlop Direzza's are yesterday's tire as only came in 8th. They still did a very good dry autocross time and the difference between the Direzza and the winning Michelin Pilot Super Sport was 59.9s vs 60.2s. The RS3 came in 4th overall. The Yokahama Advan's were best overall dry performer, but most costly too. Looks like time to consider one of these newer tires next time I need a set. The 300 tread wear rating of the Michelin might indicate it would last more than 5 or 6 track weekends.

Captain Slow

Banned
C&D did a shootout of summer tires for under $200 ea in our 225-45-17 size. Looks like Dunlop Direzza's are yesterday's tire as only came in 8th. They still did a very good dry autocross time and the difference between the Direzza and the winning Michelin Pilot Super Sport was 59.9s vs 60.2s. The RS3 came in 4th overall. The Yokahama Advan's were best overall dry performer, but most costly too. Looks like time to consider one of these newer tires next time I need a set. The 300 tread wear rating of the Michelin might indicate it would last more than 5 or 6 track weekends.

i don't think the star specs were ever a perfect tire. they were just an extremely cheap (relatively) and still fantastic autox tire. i don't think they were ever considered a good DD summer tire since their wet performance was always known to be lacking and they are rather loud. the review proved exactly this.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I've been running the PSS for almost a year now. Just did my first track day on them and they were awesome... great grip, very predictable, never got greasy. I just rotated them before the event, and the treadwear is friggin' great for ~1 year/10k miles. They still have years of life left in them!

The only thing I could complain about is noise. They are not exactly quiet. They don't howl and become just obnoxious, but you hear everything. I think this is because the sidewalls are very stiff. I "downgraded" to 17's from the stock 18's, and the ride became noticeably firmer, even with the higher profile PSS.

TDICup902

Ready to race!
I've been running the PSS for almost a year now. Just did my first track day on them and they were awesome... great grip, very predictable, never got greasy. I just rotated them before the event, and the treadwear is friggin' great for ~1 year/10k miles. They still have years of life left in them!

The only thing I could complain about is noise. They are not exactly quiet. They don't howl and become just obnoxious, but you hear everything. I think this is because the sidewalls are very stiff. I "downgraded" to 17's from the stock 18's, and the ride became noticeably firmer, even with the higher profile PSS.

I'm running the PS2s and I agree with you, that I feel and hear a lot more than before. Granted I'm running an 225/40-18 but there was a huge difference from the Pirelli's to the Michelin's, but well worth it

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
i don't think the star specs were ever a perfect tire. they were just an extremely cheap (relatively) and still fantastic autox tire. i don't think they were ever considered a good DD summer tire since their wet performance was always known to be lacking and they are rather loud. the review proved exactly this.

According to article Star Specs did win this competition in 2009, but the other guys have caught and passed. I still really enjoy driving at the track with Direzza's, the wet performance isn't a big concern, and I think its really not bad. But lucky for us there are lots of good choices now.

Captain Slow

Banned
According to article Star Specs did win this competition in 2009, but the other guys have caught and passed. I still really enjoy driving at the track with Direzza's, the wet performance isn't a big concern, and I think its really not bad. But lucky for us there are lots of good choices now.

oh i missed that part. just looking at the results though... for the price i think star specs are still the tire to go with for autox.

Last edited:

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
Here was the final rankings in case ya'll didn't see it yet. Rankings were based on dry/wet performance and everyday driving characteristics.

In order of placement:
1. Michelin PSS
2. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
3. Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
4. Hankook Ventus R-S3
5. Continental Extremecontact DW
6. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
7. Toyo Proxes R1R
8. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
9. Pirelli P Zero

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
I'm running the conti's, the 5th place tire. Have them on the shop tts as well as my m3. I really like them for a summer tire.

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
I'm running the conti's, the 5th place tire. Have them on the shop tts as well as my m3. I really like them for a summer tire.

Reportedly those are the go to tire for wet AutoX Events!

After driving on Extreme Performance tires for the past 3 years, I think I'm throwing in the towel on using them as a daily summer tire. Will probs go with a third set of wheels and dedicated track tires. They just take too much abuse from everyday driving and wear too damn fast causing me to basically get a new set every year. #WhitePeopleProblems

miamirice

Ready to race!

If you walk the paddock at chumpcar endurance events, direzza still the most used tire. Not saying anything contrary to the shoot out. Just saying its a trusted, proven tire in endurance racing.

In our case we have run them in 90+ temps on a 5 series in 14 and 24 hour events and no chunking or performance degradation. At Daytona they were good at 130 mph in the rain during tropical storm beryl. Think that's pretty legit testing.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
The Yokahama Advan's were best overall dry performer...

No surprise at all. :wink:

I was telling for months that both the AD08 and the PSS are the greatest performing tires, each in it's class.
But AD08 and PSS are complely different things. The Yoko is a trackday tire you can also drive daily. The Mic
is a street tire capable running on track frequently.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The Star Specs actually surprised me by how good they are in the wet. I expected them to have little traction but they do pretty freaking well, both with regards to low-speed traction and resistance to hydroplaning. I run them year-round.

Didn't a member from Japan state a few months ago that there is a new version of the Star Spec that has come out based on a new rubber compound?