GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help removing lower control arm

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
Tried searching for this w/ no luck, & am in the middle of an install so some help would be appreciated.

Doing a spring/strut/shock install & am having a hell of a time removing the front lower control arm off the ball joint. The 3 ea 16 mm nuts came of easily, but am having a hard time popping the LCA off the ball joint.

I've been trying to wedge/bang screwdrivers inbetween, coming from both sides, PBlaster, but it's sitll not budging.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
Edit: 1/2 hr later & still can't get it. I tried putting a jack beneath the rotor & lifted a little. The jack did help a little, but still not enough to free it though.

Any advice?

Last edited:

tbar3894

VDUBBN
Car(s)
08 TR GTI
Mine always comes off easily.. maybe try hitting down on it with a rubber mallet..

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Did you try pulling the axle bolt out first? give it more wiggle room? my 2 cents.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
Mine always comes off easily.. maybe try hitting down on it with a rubber mallet..

I was banging with my rubber mallet, even my small maul. I banged/wedged a screwdriver in as far as it would go before it hit the lip on the other side, made a space about 1/4" between the very end of the LCA & the balljoint connector plate. But it was barely spread where the 3rd stud goes through the LCA towards the inside of the car. I even put another screwdriver on the top of that one & banged at it from the other side & it still wouldn't pop out. Seemed like there was just too much tension between the studs & plates. Even after I messed with the height using a jack under the rotor, I couldn't find a good spot.

Did you try pulling the axle bolt out first? give it more wiggle room? my 2 cents.

I was wondering if the axle bolt was the problem... . However, they weren't removing it in a couple of the how to's that I was reading, so I figured that wouldn't be the problem. But, who's knows?

Apparently there's a shorter "tougher" way to get the strut out without removing the axle bolt, so I figured when I couldn't get he axle bolt to budge, I'd try the 'shorter' method. I did try to get the axle bolt to loosen, but couldn't get it to break with a 2' breaker bar. I didn't have an impact..

So, after fighting with the LCA for about 2 hrs, I finally said F'it & buttoned everything back up. A buddy of mine has an impact, tons of tools, etc. & has done suspension quite a bit. He said he's also got some spreader tools that should work on the LCA. Next Sat. I'm going to give it another go at his place.

Will probably end up taking the axle bolt off & doing it "right" longer way. Impact should make that easier. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

Falut

vtak yo
When I did mine I just got underneath the car and pulled down on the control arm and it slid off very easyily... The strut on the other hand did not slide out easy at all

You could try just standing on the control arm close to the ball joint, that should push it out

Last edited:

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Working at a vw and Audi shop. I always take the axle bolt out. Easier that way.

Glad its all good now.

Sent from Racecar

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
When I did mine I just got underneath the car and pulled down on the control arm and it slid off very easyily... The strut on the other hand did not slide out easy at all

You could try just standing on the control arm close to the ball joint, that should push it out

I don't know what was up with mine, but I stood on it, banged on it, try to wedge it out etc.

Next weekend I'll knock it out at my buddys. Thanks tho.