GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake master cylinder upgrade ??

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I doubt it's bigger, and even if it was, what benefit would you derive, if it was a direct replacement that worked correctly with the GTI's ABS?

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
You can swap in a larger BMC but the pedal pressure will be greater unless you also change out the brake booster. The ABS system would be more affected by changing the calipers than the master cylinder because with just the master cylinder you aren't changing the volume of fluid that is moving through the brake lines and ABS etc.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
No point doing this unless you are going bigger brake. Even then.. meh
Last I checked the R MC was either same or damn close - not worth the swap.

GodSquadMandrake

What are you trying to achieve? You want a better brake pedal feel?

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
According to "SSP 321"", it says

"In all left-hand drive vehicles, a 10" brake servo is installed. Right-hand drive vehicles are equipped with a tandem brake servo of 7/8" in dimension.

A main new feature is the introduction of the 'dual rate characteristic'. The inside of the brake servo is modified, which results in a progressive characteristic.

In this way, higher brake pressures are available than on conventional brake servos, even at low pedal forces. Braking forces are still imparted softly during normal operation however."

Mine is RHD, if my car had a space to fit 10" servo, I could get a larger braking force. Am I right?

My understanding of above SSP is,

LHD 10" BMC w/o tandem brake servo
RHD 7/8" BMC with tandem brake servo

which one is better?? no difference?

GodSquadMandrake

If you install a larger BMC and leave everything else the same, you will find that the pedal effort is increased but the pedal stroke is decreased for the same amount of braking force (hydraulic pressure).

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
If you install a larger BMC and leave everything else the same, you will find that the pedal effort is increased but the pedal stroke is decreased for the same amount of braking force (hydraulic pressure).

right :thumbsup:

A larger MC will improve pedal feel, but I'm sure it isn't worth the hassle.

Daigo, the dual rate booster is a nice thing for grandpa, but it's also one reason
for poor braking on track. The TT 8J does not have this awful dual rate stuff.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
right :thumbsup:

A larger MC will improve pedal feel, but I'm sure it isn't worth the hassle.

Daigo, the dual rate booster is a nice thing for grandpa, but it's also one reason

& your direct swap option is the TTRS with 25.4mm MC & Booster

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI

Ahhh
In Japan, most GTIs are RHD, so we're all grandpas... RHD GTI does not have enough space for 10 inch BMC, so VW might had to choose small one and made it dual rate to cover the poor braking force.

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Daigo could something like this give you the extra brake booster force you want?
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/69A3151A0A0.aspx

GSM, I think I don't need this.

No need for an extra braking force. Changing pads is enough for me even with a grandpa booster LOL.

Some BMW guys complains a lack of vacuum when they're on a track. Changing a step from gas to brake pedal so fast, there is no time to charge vacuum for boosting a braking force. Assume this unit will mainly cover this problem.

Curiously, I've never had this issue on the track... Am I too slow changing a step? Hope not.