GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reading Engine Fault Codes - What do I need

Kieran_l

Guys,
After reading through the forums and various internet posts, im a bit insure what i require to read engine faults.
I have come across the ross tech unit http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/Micro-CAN.html, but do i need something like this for just home use, or is there a more simple(cheaper) option that will still give me the same result. As i understand the Ross Tech will let me reset service lights etc, but thats no necessarily required.

The engine isnt showing a CEL but is not running correctly (missing when under cold load) so would like a unit which is mobile and can be left in while driving the care to see if any error codes come up (will a code still be displayed even if a CEL does not come up)?

If someone could recomend a way to go it would be much appreciated?

Thanks,
Kieran

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Guys,
After reading through the forums and various internet posts, im a bit insure what i require to read engine faults.
I have come across the ross tech unit http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/Micro-CAN.html, but do i need something like this for just home use, or is there a more simple(cheaper) option that will still give me the same result. As i understand the Ross Tech will let me reset service lights etc, but thats no necessarily required.

The engine isnt showing a CEL but is not running correctly (missing when under cold load) so would like a unit which is mobile and can be left in while driving the care to see if any error codes come up (will a code still be displayed even if a CEL does not come up)?

If someone could recomend a way to go it would be much appreciated?

Thanks,
Kieran

Yes, it will show any code there is. Yes, you can have a code without a CEL. And yes, Ross-Tech is the only way to go. Once you get it, you will see all it can do. VW's have specific codes that auto supply readers won't decipher. Plus, you can manipulate the ECU to allow for such things such as rolling down/up your windows/sunroof from your remote.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Can you clear or reset cel codes with a VAG com?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The VAG-COM is the closest you can get to the dealer's equipment. I believe the only thing you can't do with it is to upload factory updates. As an added benefit, you can also read generic OBDII codes for any car. Perhaps clear them too, but I never checked. But at least you can diagnose non-VW cars too.

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Car(s)
The VAG-COM is the closest you can get to the dealer's equipment. I believe the only thing you can't do with it is to upload factory updates. As an added benefit, you can also read generic OBDII codes for any car. Perhaps clear them too, but I never checked. But at least you can diagnose non-VW cars too.

FYI: the VCDS Micro-Can does not support Ford/GM or my wife's 05 Nissan Altima. :frown: I was going to give my neighbor my OBDII scanner, but tried to scan his 97 Sierra, his girlfriends 08 Focus and my wife's car- none of them are able to interface. Went to the Ross-Tech site:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/obd-2.html

and found this:

"Generic OBD-II functionality is limited to cars using ISO 9141-2 ("CARB"), ISO 14230 ("KWP-2000") and ISO-15765 ("CAN") protocols. Our interfaces do not support the SAE J1850-VPW and J1850-PWM protocols used by most US-market GM and Ford products, so this cannot work on those cars. Most early (1996-2000) OBD-II compatible Chrysler cars used ISO-9141-2. Many newer Chrysler cars use SAE-J1850 and are incompatible. Most European and Asian cars use ISO and should be compatible. In US models, Generic OBD-II compatiblilty was required as of model year 1996. In Canada, 1998. In the European Market, 2001 (gasoline-powered) and 2004 (diesel-powered)."