GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Hatch Power

SPENCE1

No respect
I was on a road trip last week and the hatch slowly stopped working. First the rear wiper wouldn’t work, then the hatch itself would not open, and now the reverse lights will not light up. The brake lights still work, just the entire hatch seems to have no power. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen or might have an idea of what it is and if it is fixable by me.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I was on a road trip last week and the hatch slowly stopped working. First the rear wiper wouldn’t work, then the hatch itself would not open, and now the reverse lights will not light up. The brake lights still work, just the entire hatch seems to have no power. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen or might have an idea of what it is and if it is fixable by me.
Since multiple independent circuits are involved, seems a close look at the ground connections is in order.

Jdl09gti

///Quickster
Car(s)
GTi MkV.
Same thing for me. Except my only issue is that the hatch won't open ( key fob won't work, control in the car won't work; have to manually open). I took my car for an oil change (50k) service and now when I got home hatch won't open. Seems like no power is going in there. Could it be the battery? My battery failed the test according the tdealer and could that be the issue? I was wondering if Thea battery going bad is the cause of the issue.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Should be easy enough to find out. Do you have a battery charger or another car you connect jumper cables to? You are definitely due for another battery if you still have the original. I would get an OEM one from the dealer.

I've seen some strange things happen when a battery is low, because it seems the alternator alone cannot run the whole car. My MKIV had a bad battery - when it got too low the dash lights went crazy, much like when the steering rack module fails, and the car barely moved.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Could be the battery, could be a module, could be a wire issue in the loom that goes to the hatch. Can you get a VAG-COM scan?

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Yes that exact thing has happened to me.

The wiring harness that goes to the hatch has deteriorated, and you will have to replace the wiring from the rear connectors to the various lights, and rear hatch ammenities.

I purchased the wiring harness from the dealer for around $350.

It took about 4 hours to replace, as you have to remove the interior trim on the hatch as well as the side trim on both sides of the rear trunk to get to the connections.

The pictures show what you wil find when you inspect the wiring inside the rubber flexible hose!

You will have to solder in an extension to the rear high brake light, as you can't get to that connector because of the trim being glued inplace.

The hardest part is the replacing of the interiortrim on the back hatch, seems there are about 10 clips that all have to line up to press it back in!

And you will have to replace the washer hose going to the rear wiper as it is part of the harness!

Ask the dealer how much it will cost, I didn't.

Part numbers are 1K6-971-148-AL,
and 1K6-971-147-Q

Good luck!

Attachments

• 100_1965.jpg
    100_1965.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 13,730
  • 100_1966.jpg
    100_1966.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 13,707

rolo402

08 Bunny 24/7
Car(s)
Rabbit
If any one has had this make sure to report to vw that's way we get an extended warranty for this part it just happen to me and the more that report this to vw the more of a chance that we get are money back for the work done or the self made wiring
Call #1(800)822-8987

Thanx

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I use my hatch a lot, and mine is also a 2007. Could it be the horrible cold weather up there in Canada help cause it?

Seems to me it could have caused a fire.

Did you consider just repairing the wires in the grommet area, instead of replacing everything? It's not like anyone would see the repair, and it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to do, no?

rolo402

08 Bunny 24/7
Car(s)
Rabbit
I use my hatch a lot, and mine is also a 2007. Could it be the horrible cold weather up there in Canada help cause it?

Seems to me it could have caused a fire.

Did you consider just repairing the wires in the grommet area, instead of replacing everything? It's not like anyone would see the repair, and it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to do, no?

no i live in mid california it hot here all the time and yes it a fire hazared thats why the more complants the better

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
Has anyone heard back from VW about this? Mine stopped working about a week ago. :mad:

Attachments

• 94b9bd76f77f11e1b9a5123138140995_7.jpeg
    94b9bd76f77f11e1b9a5123138140995_7.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12,820

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
wow, many, but not all harness damage pictures, show broken brown wires,
which are typically the grounds in VW harnesses.
I fear I may see this too someday. I use my hatch a lot too, at 185,000 miles now.

GLAOA is dead on with his description of the task, it is more work removing the interior pieces for access than repairing the harness / wires.

Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
wow, many, but not all harness damage pictures, show broken brown wires,
which are typically the grounds in VW harnesses.
I fear I may see this too someday. I use my hatch a lot too, at 185,000 miles now.

GLAOA is dead on with his description of the task, it is more work removing the interior pieces for access than repairing the harness / wires.

Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

Wow 185,000 miles? Dang. Mines only at 90k, but I use my hatch all the time. =\

Not looking forward to fixing it, that's for sure. :thumbdown:

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Thought about doing a repair, but when I saw the number of wires that were broken, seven in one harness, I went to the dealership and reported it.

My car is well past warranty, and they wouldn't do shit for me.

I had them bring out a harness, and the wiring was so much more flexible than what was still in the car, that is why I decided to replace them.

I know it was a lot of work, but I did not want to risk the wires going again, shorting out and maybe causing a fire, my fuses blew, I changed them, and they blew again! So why risk your car for a cheap fix!

Besides look closer and you will see the cracks in the wire covering, so the repairs don't correct the root of the problem, which was cheap wire!

Attachments

• 100_1967_small.JPG
    100_1967_small.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 12,742
  • 100_1971_small.JPG
    100_1971_small.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 12,666
Last edited:

rolo402

08 Bunny 24/7
Car(s)
Rabbit
If any one has had this make sure to report to vw that's way we get an extended warranty for this part it just happen to me and the more that report this to vw the more of a chance that we get are money back for the work done or the self made wiring
Call #1(800)822-8987

Thanx

call the # and keep your repair bill

i did my wiring. was about an hour or so of just rapping it up

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
How did you get the rubber housing off? I was able to splice one of the wires and get my hatch working again, but there's still a few cables that are worn out that I can't get to with the rubber thing in the way. :mad: