GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Amp/Sub/LOC Install & Interior Disassembly

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Well, I searched all over for specific write ups for interior disassembly for installing a mono amp and subwoofer with the factory stereo using a LOC, and could not find a good one. So, I'll try my best to do a write up.

This particular setup invloves running a 4ga power wire from the battery in the engine bay, getting a speaker signal for a LOC from the driver's side rear speaker, using the rear (hatch) 12v outlet for the remote wire, using a seatbelt mount/bolt for the ground, installing a remote control in the center console for the amp, and also running an auxiliary (1/8" male audio) cable from the glove box to the center console.

Before you start, make a check list to be sure you have all the things needed:
Tools
-A set of Torx bits (both sockets and screwdriver bits if possible)
-A set of 12 point Triple Square bits, or at least a 10mm (set of 4 $13 from Advanced)
-Flat pry tool, like the plastic trim removal kit from the auto parts store
-Misc sockets, ratchets, flat blade screwdriver, razor knife, linesman pliars, wire strippers, misc. sandpaper, electrical tape and soldering gun if available
Equipment
-An amp install kit (power wire, ground wire, RCAs, Remote wire, Speaker wire, connectors)
-LOC (line output converter). I used a PAC 2-ch.
-RCA Y-Adapter (if using a mono amp)
-Amp/Subwoofer(s)/Box of choice

The interior pieces that were removed for the process (can be done without some of this, but it made for an easy/clean install this way) were: Rear seats, rear driver's side speaker panel (3 Door), driver's side door floor trim panel, hood release panel, foot rest plate, passenger seat, 12v outlet panel (passenger's side), and the hatch mat/carpet and both foam storage trays.

*Always disconnect power/ground from the battery when working on electronics.

First, I started with the back seat and used the rear seat removal thread as a guide. It went well and was pretty easy. This allows you to remove the rear speaker panel, have great maneuverability and run wires cleanly.

Next, you remove the driver's side floor trim panel. Start at the front (near the hood release panel) and pull up. It has clips and pops loose. Work your way back to the rear speaker panel. Pull in towards the center of the car to pop it loose from the rear speaker panel, then pull it towards the front of the car and remove it.

The hood realse panel is next. Behind the lever there is a cap covering a flat headed screw. Remove it. Next, you have to pop the c-clip loose behind the handle, so you can slide it off. Use a flat blade screwdriver, while you pull the lever, to pop the c-clip loose and the lever will slide off. You can now remove the panel.

With the hood release panel removed, you will see a Torx screw holding the foot rest panel down. Remove the screw and slide the foot rest panel up and out. It has 'hooks' on the back of it.

Now, look above that area and you'll see a piece of foam, remove it. Now you can see a rubber grommet (DSG), this is where you'll run you power wire through to the battery. Remove the battery cover and front panel from the battery in the engine bay. Use a wire coat hangar or stiff hanging wire to fish the wire through (easiest if the remove the grommet first). If you poke to the left, you will get to the left of the battery and far enough so you can grab ahold of it in the engine bay. Use the razor knife to slot the grommet and run the power wire through it. Make a loop at the end (inside the car) of the wire. Run the power wire through, loop it around and tape it all together. Pull the wire from the engine bay until you have plenty of power wire to work with. If you remove the the battery top and front covers, you will have plenty of room to run your wire to the positive terminal.

In order to finish running your power wire, along with speaker signal wires for the LOC, the rear speaker panel needs to be removed. Start with the pillar panel, use a pry tool or flat head screwdriver to remove the AIRBAG cover carefully and expose a Torx screw. Remove the screw, then work from the door jamb side, top to bottom. Slide it down in the seat belt, out of the way. Next, remove the plastic cap at the back of the speaker panel to expose another Torx screw. Pull from the bottom and work the panel off, it's held on by clips at this point. Look behind the panel and un-clip the tweeter connection. Now you can completely remove the panel.

Now you can pull the insulation in the floor back towards the center of the car to run the power wire to the back of the car. If you're running any other wires to the front, such as RCA's. now would be a good time. Replace the insulation and move on to the ground wire and speaker signal.

Next, I ran my ground wire to the furthest driver's side seat belt mounting bolt. Use the 10mm Triple Square bit and remove the bolt. Scuff the floor up with sand paper to expose bare metal for a good ground. My connector wasn't big enough to fit the mounting bolt through, so I sniped it in the center and spread it enough to work. Bolt the seatbelt plate back down over the ground connection and run the wire back with the power wire.

Next is the speaker signal. Disconnect the speaker connector and strip about an inch of both wires. I tied into them with speaker wire and ran it to the back with the power and ground. Red w/ white is positive, Brown w/ white is negative. Since I'm using a mono amp, I only need one speaker signal. Soldering is best, and make sure you wrap everything up well with electrical tape.

You could attach the signal wires of the LOC now and hide it behind the rear speaker panel, running your RCA's to the back, but I wanted my LOC in the back by the amp in case I needed to make an adjustment...

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Since you’ve got your power, ground and signal wires ran, you need to remove the 12v outlet panel next to run the amp’s remote turn on wire. Remove the plastic cap on the rear of the passenger rear speaker panel (same as you did on the driver’s side) and remove BOTH Torx screws. The one in front tying the panels together, and the one in the back holding the 12v outlet panel to the car. You should be able to pull the back of the speaker panel out enough to pop the 12v outlet panel out, it’s just held on by rivets now. If the rivets don’t come out with the panel, remove them and put them back onto the panel. Disconnect the 12v outlet connecter. You want to tie the remote wire into the Black w/ red wire the same way you did the speaker signal wires. Run the wire back behind the carpet and across the floor. It’s always good to tape your wires in place in the floor with electrical tape so they stay where you want them. You can go ahead and put the 12v outlet connector back on and replace the panel.

If this is all you’re installing, pick the location of the amp and box and wire it up. You use the RCA Y Adapter to use the one channel you wired on the LOC to the RCA’s to the amp. I mounted my LOC next to the amp and only used the Y Adapter, no RCA cables. If you are running an amp remote or want to run an auxiliary cord into the center console, continue.

Next I decided to run my auxiliary wire and amp remote wire into the center console. To make things easier, I removed the passenger seat. It’s held on my four (4) of the 10mm Triple Square bolts that held the seatbelt brackets down. Lean the seat back and unplug three (3) electrical connectors on the floor, remove the seat. Next, remove the rear A/C panel off the center console. Open the cupholder and remove two Torx screws straight back. Now pry the panel off from the top down. Two Torx screws are now exposed on either side of the back of the center console, and one more behind the plastic panels that pops out of the front of the center console box. You can now remove the center console box for easy wiring. For the auxiliary cable, I removed the foam cover under the dash, held on by two hand tight screws. Plug the cable into the glove box connection, and run it through a hole on the back behind the glove box. Wiggle it around ‘til it drops down where the foam cover was. Run it across to the center panel and slip it up under working towards the where the center console box goes. Run it up through where the box goes. For the remote wire, I used the fishing wire from the amp power wire under the carpet near the center console box straight back to where the rear bench seat was. Now, fish the remote line from the back to the center console, and run it up through with the auxiliary wire. I decided to drill a hole in the removable plastic panel of the center console box since it’s easily replaceable and covered by the rubber mat. Replace the center console box, then run the wires through the plastic panel and replace it. I cut a slit in the rubber mat to slip the cords through. I mounted the amp remote to the side of the console box. The 6ft auxiliary cable is barely long enough to plug into an MP3 player and set in the cupholder. A 7 or 8ft cable would be best.

OK, now it’s a matter of hooking everything up and making sure it works. I thought a good spot for the amp would be recessed in the foam storage tray under the rear hatch mat. I set the amp in place and traced the outside with a marker. I used a razor knife and drywall saw to cut out the foam enough to recess the amp. After I hooked up the amp and made sure everything worked, I replaced all of the interior minus the hatch mat. I trimmed the wires and hooked up the amp, and set it in place. I then cut two slots with the drywall saw to run a big ziptie through the side of the foam and mounted the LOC next to the amp. I used the RCA Y Adapter to go directly from the LOC to amp’s signal input. I folded the small section of seat forward, ran the speaker wire (to the sub) on it, replaced the mat, hooked up the sub and set the box in place. It’s always good to fine tune the amp before replacing the mat, etc if installing this way. You’re done!

I hope this helps someone else from breaking tabs and clips like I did because I wasn’t sure how some of the pieces were removed. If there are any other questions about install, or the box I built, just ask! By no means is this a professional install, and I take no responsibility for any damage occurred while using this guide. Take your time and do it right, it pays off!

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
Nice write up - it looks like you put a lot of work into it. Buuuut why would you ever loosen your seat belt anchor to slide a ground under it? A self tapping screw is as good if not better not to mention safer. Also, there is a good chance youll run into overheating issues with your amp location.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
Correct, the amp can't properly breath/cool if you keep it under the trunk floor. I just attached it to the back of the rear seats. Just my 2 cents.

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
There's actually quite a bit of air space under there. I don't think it'd be any different than enclosed setups on show cars and competition cars, but I will keep an eye on it. Gain is about halfway, so it shouldn't run too hot. The reason to the location is so the large seat area is free of obstruction and can be folded forward still. If I need to move it, it's an easy fix.

The middle seatbelt mount needs to be removed in order to take the backrest out completley, so I see no difference in removing the far one for the ground. I used blue loctite and torqued it to spec. I don't think it will be a 'safety' issue. That bolt has a tensile strength of much more than the weight of any passenger that may be in the rear I'm sure. I used this location rather than a self drilling screw because I've had those screws loosen before, and lost my ground. They are coarse thread, and with vibrations, can easily loosen.

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Yeah, I saw yours. I just figured some pictures and a little more detail on trim removal might help someone not break clips and tabs like I did...

Zach L

VR junkie
Bump because I'm about to use this.

Zach L

VR junkie
Yeah, using Google I've gone through pretty much every thread on the site on this topic. It's not that elegant of a DIY, but not hard to see this is one of the most useful due to abundance of info AND pics.

Skotti

Sorry about bumping this if you all have a rule about it, but this install is for the 2 door model. 4 doors, its easier to tap the LOC behind the head unit and solder the thing into place.

The head unit is easy to remove and takes like 2 minutes tops.

These photos were taken from http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=152441.0

First you pry off the plate in the front:

Be careful! It can snap if bent enough.

Continue to work your way around til its completely removed.

Remove 4 T20 torx screws.

and the plug that holds it in is pretty easy to pull out. There's a pinch clip and then a lever that unlocks it. DON'T put the radio on your seats. It could cut them. The other plug ins have a pull tab and then come out. Its harder to pull these out. if you have GPS and sat radio then there is 3, if not there is 1 or 2.

Then you wanna locate these wires on the back:

Sorry for the quality of the pictures.
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Brown
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Violet

If you are running a sub (might be wrong on this) attach one single channel to the LOC, no other splicing is needed. I attached both channels just so I don't have to do it later.

Run your RCA's back by fishing the wire through, and follow the original DIY instructions. When you're done put it all back together!

Ready2party

Hi all since I can't make new threads I thought you guys can help me out here,

I've followed the majority of this thread I've run my power cable and RCAs separately

I'm installing a vibe fly trap 12" ( amp included in the box) using the supplied cabling into a MK5 GOLF 2004 with a standard head-unit.

I'm now trying to install my LOC below is the images of the rear of my head-unit. I'm unsure which cables are which and how to connect my LOC into the system.

It looks to me like the two top and two bottom terminals are free so do I put my LOC cables into those or do I connect the LOC cables to the existing cables and if so which ones?

The cables for the cigarette lighter I've connected my remote wire to the red/black cable as in the picture is this correct?

all help will be much appreciated thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/aBmfbD3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ijN0sEW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5L6fIyD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TzMp0xb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pgiiHZK.jpg

cig
http://i.imgur.com/XQvo50Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QyHSSBP.jpg