GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Parts4Euro

Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
aschmidt
Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Drives: 2004 MK5 1.9TDI
Radiator/Cooling Fan problems

Hi All,

I have a 2004 1.9TDI and struggling with a strange Radiator/Cooling Fan problem. Basically when the car is switched off and locked up after a few minutes the large radiator fan begins to spin up to full power then stays on for 10 seconds or so then goes off. After 20 seconds or so it will start up again! the cycle doesn't stop until i disconnect the battery. This also happens when the engine is running.

When I first noticed this happening i noticed that the smaller of the 2 fans wasn't running so after a little research i dismantled the fan cowling and tested the small fan, it was dead. I ordered 2 new fans and replaced them both thinking that the small one was dead and the large one had a dodgy control unit. Its been pretty wet here in the UK over the last month and i figured maybe they both shorted out after the front of the car got soaked by passing trucks a few times.

Anyway after changing both fans the problem still exists but now both fans spin as described above! I cant use the car as the battery will be flat after a few hours of being parked up and i'm running out of ideas. Has anyone seen such an issue before or have a clue what to check next!

Cheers
Andy
aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
aschmidt

Hi All,

Thought i'd post an update in case anyone else has weird fan staying on problems.

OK since the first post on this thread the car has been to 2 garages and had a diagnostics test but both places couldnt find a problem, diagnostics showed no codes relavant to the problem! When the car came back from the garage the problem had changed a little. Instead of the fans spining up to full speed and stopping then starting again etc.. the fans would now come on with the igntion off and stay on until either the battery ran flat or was disconnected.

Anyway almost out of ideas i did some more research but couldnt find a solution, i did however come across many vw/audi/skoda drivers with the same problem and many of these seemed to involve water of some kind, rain/washing the car/flood etc.. Given that the day my problem started was very wet and the fact that the diagnostics showed up no codes i figured, take a look at the electrics.

The top of the engine bay fuse box where the fuses and relays sit was dry with a few tiny spots of water not enough to short anything surley. Anyway i disconnected the fuse box and began to remove it. Once i had it out of the car i removed all the small torx screws holding the fuse tray to the box and seperated the two. To my amazement the inside of the box was soaking! Lots of green corrosion in there too which makes me think this had been leaking for a while!

Being the weekend it would be impossible to get a new fusebox so i decided to strip it down by seperating the plastic plates and slowly clean the whole thing. It took a good 5 hours to strip and clean the fusebox and reinstall it to the car.

I connected up the battery and waitied a few mins to hear the fans start up.. Nothing, silence :)

So far so good its been 3 hours and the car is still sat silently on the drive as its suppposed to. Fingers still crossed for now.. Anyway hope this helps someone somewhere to save lots of time and money diagnosing such a weird problem..

Regards
Andy
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
The Fed
Old Guys Rule

Drives: 2007 GTI DSG APR S1
So it WAS from passing trucks splashing water onto/into the fuse box?
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
aschmidt

I guess so, we had real terrential rain that day and i can rememeber a couple of passing trucks soaking the car so much so that i couldnt see out of the windscreen for a split second until the wipers cleared it. The rain probably run down the screen and down the wing/bonnet channel and into the fusebox that way, cant remember if the box was on properley though.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Ryan O
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: r32 replica
hi i am having a similer problem only, i'm sure mine isnt a short.. as my fans spin are not constantly on, the bigger one seems to be almost allways runnin, and the smalller one never runs... do yu have any idea as to were th fuses for the fans are?