GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Cosmetic Mods (interior+exterior bodykits, CF kits, etc..)


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
cmyoung777
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Black 07 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6
Removing rear VW logo hatch??

How do I remove the VW emblem latch on the back that flips in to open the trunk of my 07 gti?
I want to paint it black but I have no idea how to take that thing off so i can paint it lol

Help is greatly appreciated! :D
cmyoung777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Stampedevxl
RACECAR > STANCECAR
 
Stampedevxl's Avatar
 
Drives: MkV GLI
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lutz fl
Posts: 1,285
Your rear badge flips in? Wtf lol sounds cool!
Stampedevxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
dave80
Formula 5000 Driver
 
dave80's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 K04 Dsg
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung777 View Post
How do I remove the VW emblem latch on the back that flips in to open the trunk of my 07 gti?
I want to paint it black but I have no idea how to take that thing off so i can paint it lol

Help is greatly appreciated! :D
there is a pry bar diy somewhere in here. Use the search function to find it.
dave80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
mkvgtiiiii
AntiAir Revolution
 
mkvgtiiiii's Avatar
 
Drives: static
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tampa/USF
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampedevxl View Post
Your rear badge flips in? Wtf lol sounds cool!
thats how you open the hatch on gti's lol
__________________
AntiAir http://www.facebook.com/#!/Bagssuck
8=====mkvgtiiiii,TwentyonePSI,Falut,Rude Jr,cskm,Sterling,Jtrem,dustinwark,utekineir,merkey terkey=====D


Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
air is gay.
mkvgtiiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Rude Jr
Wetbacks In Hatchbacks
 
Rude Jr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 MKV GTi United Grey DSG
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,047
You stick a credit card in there to get started then find like a butter knife or something haha that's just what I did. Be careful tho...
__________________
You don't judge what you can't understand.
Rude Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
RedLine GTI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
RedLine GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI FSI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, Fl
Posts: 480
if your going to paint it with plasti dip just tape it off...if you over spray it just peels off
RedLine GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
cmyoung777
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Black 07 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6
Yeah I was just thinking about that. I could just tape around the latch and paint it without removing it huh?
cmyoung777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
RedLine GTI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
RedLine GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI FSI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, Fl
Posts: 480
yea thats the easiest way to do it. If you remove it then you need to get 3m tape and stick it back on...just tape around it enough so you have room for over spray. are you using plasti dip or paint?
RedLine GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
cmyoung777
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Black 07 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6
not too sure yet which would work best? I do plan on sanding it down first tho
cmyoung777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Cbus mkv
Lowcally Famous
 
Cbus mkv's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI MKV
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 3,485
dont paint it black you'll regret it later...it looks like a retarded black hole
Cbus mkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
RedLine GTI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
RedLine GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI FSI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, Fl
Posts: 480
Don't sand it, just clean it off real good. i suggest plasti dipping it. Go to home depot and pick up a can. That way if you don't like the way it looks you can peel it off and no harm to the emblem/car. I see you new to the for but just search plasti dip and you will see what people have done with it. Also you tube it and you can see how easily it is to remove if you don't like it.

Ill post a pic up tomorrow of mine if you want.
RedLine GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
RedLine GTI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
RedLine GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI FSI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, Fl
Posts: 480
What color is your gti?
RedLine GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
rabbit6409
GTI rollinn
 
rabbit6409's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Cw GTi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SAN ANTONIO
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus mkv View Post
dont paint it black you'll regret it later...it looks like a retarded black hole

retarded black hole lol
rabbit6409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
jsof
Oval Newbie
 
jsof's Avatar
 
Drives: MK5 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VIC
Posts: 142
taping it is a pain in the ass geting tape in all the tight corners ect..
best way to do it would be to take it off, i have seached many times with no success.

I was able to pry the VW emblem and backing from the boot mechanism, but once off could not work out how to remove the emblem from the black backing??

if anyone with some experiance could hellp out that would be much appreciated from me aswell! Bump!!
jsof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Sema's Gti
2Lo2Tow
 
Sema's Gti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI low and slow
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 101
Getting it off was easy. Getting it back on without ruining the paint is a bitch
Sema's Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Rude Jr
Wetbacks In Hatchbacks
 
Rude Jr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 MKV GTi United Grey DSG
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,047
Taking it off was harder than putting it back on. Much harder. You dont need tape to put it back on, it clips very tight. You won't mess up the paint if you allow proper drying time. He's right about the retarded black hole...
I realized that, then did this...
__________________
You don't judge what you can't understand.
Rude Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
cmyoung777
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Black 07 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6
Nah I dont think it looks like a retarded black hole lol and my GTI is black. I like the way it looks on black GTIs
cmyoung777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
mkvgtiiiii
AntiAir Revolution
 
mkvgtiiiii's Avatar
 
Drives: static
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tampa/USF
Posts: 2,969
And that's because you are new to this. I'm 95% sure you won't like it in the future. The other 5% are just ricers.
__________________
AntiAir http://www.facebook.com/#!/Bagssuck
8=====mkvgtiiiii,TwentyonePSI,Falut,Rude Jr,cskm,Sterling,Jtrem,dustinwark,utekineir,merkey terkey=====D


Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
air is gay.
mkvgtiiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
V-DubbinLOW
Stanced
 
V-DubbinLOW's Avatar
 
Drives: Volkswagen
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 798
leave it as is
__________________
*VW*MKV* REVO II+ |APR|ATP|AIRLIFT|ACCUAIR|SWITCHSPEED|GOODRIDGE|JLA UDIO|MOTUL|NEUSPEED|NEWSOUTH|PIONEER|VOTEX|
V-DubbinLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
jsof
Oval Newbie
 
jsof's Avatar
 
Drives: MK5 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VIC
Posts: 142
Ricers? Says the one with deep dish wheels as their dp?..

If done tastefully it looks good. If had mine blacked out for a year and I still love it.
jsof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
Sema's Gti
2Lo2Tow
 
Sema's Gti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 GTI low and slow
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvgtiiiii View Post
And that's because you are new to this. I'm 95% sure you won't like it in the future. The other 5% are just ricers.
When I first got my GTI I was spray painted both my emblems. Once I realized what a clean GTI was I hated it and had to buy a new emblem for the front -___-
Sema's Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
mkvgtiiiii
AntiAir Revolution
 
mkvgtiiiii's Avatar
 
Drives: static
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tampa/USF
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsof View Post
Ricers? Says the one with deep dish wheels as their dp?..

If done tastefully it looks good. If had mine blacked out for a year and I still love it.
lol these "deep dish wheels" are arguably the most sought after wheel in the world and have a nice clean classic design. If you don't know what they are that's just sad.
__________________
AntiAir http://www.facebook.com/#!/Bagssuck
8=====mkvgtiiiii,TwentyonePSI,Falut,Rude Jr,cskm,Sterling,Jtrem,dustinwark,utekineir,merkey terkey=====D


Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
air is gay.
mkvgtiiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.