GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When diagnosing a problem or trying to fix something don't overlook the simple things

judunty84

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 3 Door GTI
Long story short, I am an idiot...

During the freak October snow storm much of the east got last Saturday I was driving to run an errand. I cleared my windows of the wet heavy snow. I did not however clear the snow from the roof of my car. As I came to a stop light on a down slope, all of the snow from the roof slid onto my windshield. I tried to hit the wipers to clear the snow and they just stopped. I got out and started to get the snow off of my car and had my wife in the car hit the wipers so i could scrape underneath where the wipers rest in the rain tray. Well I heard a snap and no more wipers.

I got the car to my parents' garage and pulled the wiper motor/linkage assembly out to find one of the joints popped off. No big deal, I popped it back on. To ensure there was nothing bent and that everything would move smoothly I tried to engage the wipers prior to installing the wiper motor/linkage assembly back where it goes. Well nothing happened. I checked the fuse, put a meter on the harness, and everything was fine. I assumed the wiper motor was fried from laboring so hard it popped a linkage joint.

I ended up buying a wiper motor from a fellow member here and went to install it tonight. Same result, nothing, no movement or anything. We rechecked the fuse, pulled the relays, everything. To bring it full circle I realized the stupid wipers are disabled when the hood is open. :mad0259::mad0259::mad0259: Pissed off and relieved at the same time I put everything back together and the wipers work perfect.

Here I was panicking that something in the wiper switch was bad when it was just my lack of a brain forgetting the hood/wiper disablement. Sometimes you just have to be at least 10% smarter than what you are working on and tonight I was not...

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
A good cautionary tale for what lies ahead this winter. I don't think I knew that our wipers don't work when the hood's up. Who knows... you may well have saved me some grief! :thumbsup:

And... let this serve as a warning to all the guys I see using their wipers to clear insane amounts of snow from their windshield. Great way to burn out your wiper motor!!

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
over here in my province, its illegal to have snow on the roof of your car. everyone who drives on the road MUST remove all snow on the roof or risk getting a citation by law enforcement.

i personally think its a great idea, because i've driven behind massive 18 wheeler's and have sheets of ice slide off and i had to avoid it. its one of those 'oh shit' moments you'll never forget lol

bill6211789

Ready to race!
over here in my province, its illegal to have snow on the roof of your car. everyone who drives on the road MUST remove all snow on the roof or risk getting a citation by law enforcement.

i personally think its a great idea, because i've driven behind massive 18 wheeler's and have sheets of ice slide off and i had to avoid it. its one of those 'oh shit' moments you'll never forget lol

That is a good law, I wish they had it in NY more and more people w/ SUVs are too lazy to get the snow off the roof.

OP glad everything was all good, I'm sure most of us have had one of those "blonde" moments with our cars. :thumbsup: