GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA SHS Coilover impression

shinta

Banned
HPA SHS Coilover impression (updated with pics)

This suspension is basically the same construction as KW v1, but with softer springs and different shock valving. THe story behind the coilover is that many customer went to HPA to install coilovers, but most of them are not tracking their car enough to justify the all out rattle your bone out set up. so SHS is HPA's solution to this problem.

just got my coilovers installed last week here are my quick thoughts.

The construction of the coilover are super high quality. and i love how front ride height can be adjusted with just 1 perch, vs 2 perches in many other set up. with 2 perches, it's hard to control where the perches will seat after final torquing.

the ride is amazing! it's definately stiffer, but if you don't tell anyone, i doubt anyone rides in your car would know you have coilovers. the car feels way more planted more stable, even just in straightline. i also feel torque steer have been reduced. i've been in many cars with different kind of coilovers, and i have to say this is one of the most comfortable ones. even with it's comfy ride, the handling is amazing.

it can do factory ride height, which is the only "comfortable" coilover that can do this. for example, Koni coils need to be at a minimum of 1.4 lowering to avoid spring binding. the maximum lowering for SHS is 1.4F 1.2R, sounds like nothing, but most people dont' realize that's oil pan scraping low. i currently still got 12 threads up front, and 2 in the rear, and the ride height is just perfect. at this height with front fender screw mod, i can take any corner at any speed with out any rubbing with 18xx8 et45 wheels.

for the install, i did the rear myself, and had a shop did the front for 160. The reason i did the rear myself is not for money saving, its only because in order to adjust the rear height, the spring needs to be taken out. since i gotta do that someday down the line, i might as well learn how to do it.

now i am a lifetime fan of HPA/KW suspension!!

12 Threads up front, 2.5 threads in the back.

Last edited:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Good to hear, I am lifetime fan of KW as well, total quality setups with any version. They seem to have some magic pixie dust as they come up with excellent rates and rebound settings that have car handle well and ride very well at same time, much like a BMW. The hardware is all quality too.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Somebodies happy to be alive.

It comes and goes. :biggrin:

The thought of a "daily" coilover is still intriguing to me. All that money for an adjustable suspension that won't see a track... and isn't but slightly more aggressive than stock. The concept makes sense, but I guess this must be for those that have to get the 'stance' perfect. I just want to see how its set up for the purpose of knowing what people that are not 'slamming' or tracking their car think is the perfect stance.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3

The thought of a "daily" coilover is still intriguing to me. All that money for an adjustable suspension that won't see a track... and isn't but slightly more aggressive than stock. The concept makes sense, but I guess this must be for those that have to get the 'stance' perfect. I just want to see how its set up for the purpose of knowing what people that are not 'slamming' or tracking their car think is the perfect stance.

I installed KW's for quite a few Audi customers back in my Boston days, many spent well over $2k installed for the V2 and 3 variants on cars that never went near a track. Its a nice setup, well worth the change in my book. I'm sure even the milder setup gives a great feel to the car.

shinta

Banned

I am not that worried about the "not perfect" stance springs offer, I am more concerned about the comfort and reliability issues with 'mix and match' spring/shock combo. also, it's hard to know how low i can really go without actually doing it, so it's really a gamble just buy a set of springs and hope for the best.....
cost wise, a set of decent spring/shock set can easily cost more than 750 bucks, so i'd rather spend 350 more to have height adjustability, and a set of perfectly matched spring/shock system.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Your pictures remind me of 1995. I don't know why, they just do.