GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AP Racing BBK technical inquiry

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Hello guys,

Just bought the ApRacing Pro 5000+ kit from a guy (TEFF, he's also a member here) and would like your opinion on the following problem. The caliper carriers had to be thinned in order to clear the swivel/hub on the lower side. Here's what Ap Racing said :

"CP5060-1001NP was competition kit originally devised for the VW Scirroco that is based on the Mk5 Golf Gti / TDi PQ5 platform
We haven’t detailed a kit for the Mk6 Golf R20…………..

This model would appear to uses a different lower arm from the Mk5. From the photo The R20 uses an aluminium lower control arm that’s possibly wider than the Mk5 steel type; hence the Scirocco bracket fouls on full lock and droop by the looks of it. And It looks like the R20 knuckle & lower arm are from the current Audi S3 model (see 20091021.jpg).

To overcome this foul condition the customer has cut away the bracket to provide clearance. We can’t really condone this mod because it has not had FEA applied to it, although on a race application it would most likely be OK if the wall thickness between the cut out and the mounting lug hole is +10mm. With this caliper mounted as leading the brake torque is acting downwards on the bracket in the i.e. loads are being applied in the opposite direction to the modification.

AP Racing would handle this foul issue by rotating the bracket upwards away from the lower arm i.e. the calipers would be approx 10°/15° above the centreline. This would require a new designed of handed brackets with the cross sectional strength maintained.

Question: - Apart from that anomaly does this kit mount correctly to this model? If the answer is yes then I can ask design to consider a new bracket to alleviate the problem…………"

This was my answer to them :

Hello,

I'm the new owner of this brake kit (bought it from the guy with Golf 6 R20). The kit will be installed on a Golf 5 GTI wich sees 2-3 hard track days/year. My GTI also has Audi TT lower arms (give additional negative camber) and Audi S3 swivels (hubs) wich lower the weight/corner. Having these mods I might also encounter the same problems with the caliper brackets. I will install them today with the brackets that have been thinned by the other guy in order to avoid touching the swivel on the lower side. I'm attaching you 4 pics with the 2 brackets. One of them has 10-12mm from the outer edge to the mounting lug hole so I wouldn't worry about this one. However, the other one has only 4-5mm wich is too little. I will also make you some pics with them installed on the car in order to help you design new brackets that will clear the swivel/hub.

Another question would be if these calipers require any kind of maintenance knowing they will also be used on street (the car may occasionally see snow or dirt) and the pistons don't have any protective rubber seals like road brakes. Thanks in advance for your help !

What do you think about this ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, wanted to resize them but imageshack kept giving some errors today (didn't happen before) !

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Situation foul.

Dang dude, that was quite a chunk taken out. I'd feel a bit uneasy putting those in like that. I might have taken a pass on these, this is a full racing brake setup, it's overkill for what you are doing, and they've been hacked. Sell, and get a nice stg3 from ECS, R32, Stoptech, or Brembo etc. setup that actually fits correctly.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
No need to sell the calipers

fuscobal, its only the adapters, any machine shop could replicate them :thumbsup:

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Ok, today I've tried installing the kit and couldn't do it because it seems having the S3 hubs will require a new custom caliper bracket + longer bolts >

Difference between hubs >

Uploaded with ImageShack.us > haven't measured the OEM GTI one yet but will do it monday

Because the S3 hub is thicker, the bolts need to be 10mm longer (just like the ones used on the OEM S3/R32 brakes >

Burnished the bracket in order to avoid touching the hub while the wheel turned at the maximum (plenty of material around the hole so nothing to worry about) >

Uploaded with ImageShack.us > on the white board you can see how much material has been removed from the bracket

The final problem is, because of the thicker hub, the bracket needs to be extended by approx. 16mm in order to be able to mount the caliper on it >

Uploaded with ImageShack.us > measurement wasn't very precise but should be within +/-1mm

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Ok guys, just measured the OEM spindle today and it has 17mm as opposed to the 33mm of the S3 spindle. 33-17 = 16mm wich is exactly the distance measured by me between the 2 holes. Under these circomstances, I've designed a new carrier in Autocad. Now...if I can only find out the exact material they've used (seems a little heavier than simple aluminium so maybe it's some diferent & stronger alloy). Also...it has some kind of a chemical treatment (the graphite grey colour on the surface) ! Any of you care to enlighten me in these 2 respects ?

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
great job with the drawing

7075 will do the job with a thread inserts, as for coating go with hard anodizing

keep us updated ;)

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Whoa you're not cutting that out of aluminum are you? I would think steel would be the preferred material there.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Why not ? The original brackets that you can see in the pics above look like some sort of aluminium alloy. Why can't I make them of aluminium too ? Do you think the extra 16mm would be too much for this alloy to handle the stress ?

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Oh I thought the original ones were steel. I'm not an engineer I don't know but I thought that these were generally made out of steel.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
It's not steel but not usual aluminium either. It's something like 7075 wich is a very strong aluminium alloy > 7075 aluminum alloy's composition includes 5.1-6.1% zinc, 2.1-2.9% magnesium, 1.2-2.0% copper, and less than half a percent of silicon, iron, manganese, titanium, chromium, and other metals. It is commonly produced in several heat temper grades, 7075-O, 7075-T6, 7075-T651.