GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water in rear passenger footwell

lusfort

Hey guys, A few days ago i've started to notice that my rear passenger footwell was damp and thought nothing much about it. However, after a few days i realized that it was still damp and started to press on the carpet to find that and felt dampness underneath. I pry-ed up the carpet to reach the insulation and found that insulation was damp on both sides of the passenger footwell.

This morning, i was prodding around the rear of the boot and somehow found about 1 inch of water swirling around the spare tyre well. I quickly sponged up all the water and allowed the car to air.

I have a suspicion that water might be coming in from the rear right lamp area as the left rear is completely dry and the water in the rear passenger foot well was from the same leak too.

I'm feeling really frustrated at my GTI right now and i honestly feel like giving up and selling it back to my dear for a new one. Could any kind bros enlighten me about what is going on here?

MoparShaha

Ready to race!
Check the rubber stops on the sides of the hatch. They are adjustable. You might need to shorten them so the hatch sits closer to the body, creating a better seal around the weatherstripping. If you shorten them too much though, the hatch will rattle.

Just a thought.

lusfort

turns out that the problem was that the car was in an accident once and the shop that fixed it did not attach the bumper in properly. hence water was leaking in from a rear vent at the bumper. caused my insulation to be wet. $450 to fix the leak and dry my insulation. ouch

eazyd91

"vivir es morir"
Car(s)
2009 vw gti mkv
Do you have any idea where the location of that rear vent is? I have this problem getting water in my rear passenger footwell it's happened 3 times and the dealer can't find the leak

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Do you have any idea where the location of that rear vent is? I have this problem getting water in my rear passenger footwell it's happened 3 times and the dealer can't find the leak
There are spring loaded pressure equalization vents on both sides.
On the outside they are covered by the upper section of the bumper.
Not sure how that would get water to the passenger area though :iono:

With the interior removed, they are quite obvious.

you can see the right side vent in this pic

and the left side vent in this pic

3AFL

I just don't know
i was in an accident where the same problem was happening. i thought about just sealing the vents closed. i end up with a puddle of water in my spare tire area.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
i was in an accident where the same problem was happening. i thought about just sealing the vents closed. i end up with a puddle of water in my spare tire area.
Those vents serve a purpose.
If you seal those vents, you may find it harder to
close the door and or hatch,
or at speed, the windows or sunroof (if you have one).

Certainly if the vent is the cause there must be a way to restore the original function.
165k miles and I have never had any moisture incursion issues with any part of the car. :iono:

dantdi

Those vents serve a purpose.
If you seal those vents, you may find it harder to
close the door and or hatch,
or at speed, the windows or sunroof (if you have one).

Certainly if the vent is the cause there must be a way to restore the original function.
165k miles and I have never had any moisture incursion issues with any part of the car. :iono:

Well your just lucky lol

I've put some sealant around the vent which has slowed it down..

Was think taking back bumper off the seal again or expanding foam the whole area ??

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
foaming the whole area just seems like a really bad idea. jmo. find leak and fix leak

dantdi

I have had sealant everywhere now but I'm going to take the rear bumper off and seal from front!

Really starting to get to me now thinking it's raining outside my boog is going to be soaked again!!

How hard is the bumper to take off?