GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear View Mirror Not working properly

wombat123

Hi Guys,

I have a Golf MKV with an auto dimming rear view mirror. Trouble is is doesn't seem to be working properly.
It used to work just fine but for the last year or so it's been awful, if anyone has full beams on from behind it's blinding.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can fix it? Is there a battery or something like a sensor that needs cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

jkmboler

Ready to Mod!!!

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, is the little green light in the mirror lit? If not, then press the button on the bottom of the mirror until the green light is lit and your troubles could be gone :)

wombat123

Hi siLc,

there's no light at all, even if I press the button underneath.
I remember that there always used to be some sort of light in one of the holes under the mirror but not sure if it was green or red.
Any thoughts?

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
There is a green light in the one of the holes, the other one isn't lit. I have the auto-dimming mirror and when the light is lit, it auto-dims as it should.
Guess you'll need to have your mirror and/or other parts repaired/replaced as there seems to be a power cut somewhere.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Hi Guys,

I have a Golf MKV with an auto dimming rear view mirror. Trouble is is doesn't seem to be working properly.
It used to work just fine but for the last year or so it's been awful, if anyone has full beams on from behind it's blinding.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can fix it? Is there a battery or something like a sensor that needs cleaning?

Thanks in advance.
It does not get its power from any internal battery - it is powered from the harness.
The harness is connected to fuse box C in the dash for its switched power.
Fuse location varies, you will need to check a factory repair manual for your variants location,
it is a 5A ATM fuse (VW part # N 102 615 01). Mine is in location #17, but I would not go by that.

There are also two override signals, one from the reverse light circuit and one from the dome light circuit.
Both of those will defeat the dimming function when current is present,
but I am pretty sure the green light stays lit when those no-dim signals are active.

wombat123

It does not get its power from any internal battery - it is powered from the harness.
The harness is connected to fuse box C in the dash for its switched power.
Fuse location varies, you will need to check a factory repair manual for your variants location,
it is a 5A ATM fuse (VW part # N 102 615 01). Mine is in location #17, but I would not go by that.

There are also two override signals, one from the reverse light circuit and one from the dome light circuit.
Both of those will defeat the dimming function when current is present,
but I am pretty sure the green light stays lit when those no-dim signals are active.

Thanks JetTurbo,

I'll check this out and let you know how it goes.