GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bilstein hd vs sport

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
If both have the same valving and the DG springs are allowed to be used with stock dampers,
than it doesn't matter which you choose.
The only difference would be that with the shorter rebound dampers your wheels may loose
contact earlier when jumping over huge bumps.

I don't know the differences on the US market, but in Europe the (shortened) B8 are
slightly stiffer than the (stock lengh) B6.

BOTH are very good choices with most (street appl.) springs !!

Simmsled and Junker are right. Pardon me.

With DG springs you want Mk.VI B6 = HD.
With shorter and stiffer springs I'd still go for Mk.V B8 = Sport.

Hey guys,

First, thanks for the really informative thread..

I'm bringing up an old thread, but I'm about the pull the trigger on a set of MK6 Bilstein HDs to go with my DG springs but just had one last question. I know MK6 suspension parts are technically "interchangeable" with MKV and all.. but is there actually any confirmation from manufacturers that they can be used in this way?

IE. what if in several years I need to replace them through warranty for any reason.. would Bilstein refuse it because it was not used on the intended year model?

My mechanic's supplier seems very hesitant on letting me place the order due to this risk, as they've never heard of people putting MK6 suspension parts on MKV models.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Auto 4D DG springs with Bilstein B8's have a 1.5 finger gap and we'll have to see how it settles. The fender-to-wheel center measurement was 343mm front and 345mm rear so as far as I am concerned it is perfectly level when you take any irregularities in the road, car, and springs into consideration. This is with >3/4 tank of fuel and with the spare tire but without the jack and the rear muffler (have DG exhaust).

As far as I am concerned the 2D Auto DG springs are 6-10mm higher VW Racing springs according to the TUV specs and my own measurements.

The ride quality with the MkVI Bilstein B8 Sports is truly amazing and I don't throw superlatives around like that lightly. Feel free to check any of my posts on the MkV forum. I can't image a better set-up for road. At first I almost thought it might be too soft, but I think it is the difference in having a lot of buttery smooth travel. Not bottoming, no jarring, no head bouncing off the headrest from freeway seams. Just clean, tight, long travel with no on center vagueness and no bump steer from irregular suspension travel - much less corrections. I do have both sway bars but seriously it's a good set-up. I'm going to get another alignment after another week or two and really push it to write-up my impressions. The stock Sachs dampers are probably fine for most people... it's been so long since I've had them on my car, but the MkVI B8s are truly amazing. Make sure you don't make the mistake of getting MkV B8s they are 20% harder. I can get the exact damping values to you but lets just leave it that the new dampers are not harsh like the old ones. Highly recommended set-up for the real world.

Last edited:

nycxandy

Auto 4D DG springs with Bilstein B8's have a 1.5 finger gap and we'll have to see how it settles. The fender-to-wheel center measurement was 243mm front and 245mm rear so as far as I am concerned it is perfectly level when you take any irregularities in the road, car, and springs into consideration. This is with >3/4 tank of fuel and with the spare tire but without the jack and the rear muffler (have DG exhaust).

As far as I am concerned the 2D Auto DG springs are 6-10mm higher VW Racing springs according to the TUV specs and my own measurements.

The ride quality with the MkVI Bilstein B8 Sports is truly amazing and I don't throw superlatives around like that lightly. Feel free to check any of my posts on the MkV forum. I can't image a better set-up for road. At first I almost thought it might be too soft, but I think it is the difference in having a lot of buttery smooth travel. Not bottoming, no jarring, no head bouncing off the headrest from freeway seams. Just clean, tight, long travel with no on center vagueness and no bump steer from irregular suspension travel - much less corrections. I do have both sway bars but seriously it's a good set-up. I'm going to get another alignment after another week or two and really push it to write-up my impressions. The stock Sachs dampers are probably fine for most people... it's been so long since I've had them on my car, but the MkVI B8s are truly amazing. Make sure you don't make the mistake of getting MkV B8s they are 20% harder. I can get the exact damping values to you but lets just leave it that the new dampers are not harsh like the old ones. Highly recommended set-up for the real world.

Do you have the part number for the MK6's?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
The ride quality with the MkVI Bilstein B8 Sports is truly amazing and I don't throw superlatives around like that lightly.
I can't image a better set-up for road. At first I almost thought it might be too soft, but I think it is the difference in having a
lot of buttery smooth travel. Not bottoming, no jarring, no head bouncing off the headrest from freeway seams. Just clean,
tight, long travel with no on center vagueness and no bump steer from irregular suspension travel - much less corrections.

Highly recommended set-up for the real world.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Again great write up !!

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Also looking at Bilstein shocks, I am on Eibach Pro-Kit and from what I am reading here I could effectively go with ether HD or Sport. I was goinig to go with HD as I am on stock shocks now and no issues and dont want a shorter piston throw with the Sports and loose full travel unless that will pretty much never happen under extreme cases. I will look into the MK6 versions as I do not want a bone jarring ride.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
:w00t:Keep us posted. Maybe see how the B6 Bilsteins affect your ride height and how the ride compares to your old OEM shocks. :thumbsup:

Can you confirm the amount of lowering the American Eibach Pro-Kit provides:?

Wheel Center to Fender Measurements:

MkV Non-US GTI: 360mm/365mm
MkV US GTI: 382mm/380mm
Current: ?mm/?mm
Amount Lowered over US MkV stock specification: ?mm/?mm

Junker said:
Current: 343mm/345mm
Amount Lowered over MkV stock specification: 39mm/35mm

Last edited:

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
MkV vs MkVI Bilstein Damping Comparison

MkV vs MkVI Bilstein Damping Comparison Chart

Attachments

• B8s.jpg
    B8s.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4,617
Last edited:

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
n my 06 it ended up lowering it right around 1.1-1.2 inches if i remember correctly from when i got it done and it settled out. I will try and get the center of wheel to fender measurements soon for ya.

:w00t:Keep us posted. Maybe see how the B6 Bilsteins affect your ride height and how the ride compares to your old OEM shocks. :thumbsup:

silversquirrel

Passed Driver's Ed
MkV vs MkVI Bilstein Damping Comparison Chart

Junker, can you tell me what the units are for this data? . Im considering having my hds revalved for my A3 3.2q, and trying to educate myself on the compression and rebound numbers.

Also any update on the MK6 hds now that youve had them a while, re handling and ride quality?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
No doubt Junker's posting is one of the most informative on this forum.

silversquirrel

Passed Driver's Ed
No doubt Junker's posting is one of the most informative on this forum.

that might be why his mailbox is full... i tried pm'ing, but got bounced.

One thing that is immediately apparent from Junkers bilstein numbers is the rebound to compression ratio is very low.. 1.2:1 for the fronts, both MKV and MK6.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Yes, from what I know this is typical to Bilsteins. Others have up to 3:1.

I don't want to anticipate his answer but he's very happy with his Mk.VI B8/sport.
To me these are 2nd best after Öhlins.

zap

Ready to race!

Hi

I'm noob in this. For a Non-US mk5 gti (4dr DSG), will I get the same driving characteristcs if I go for this same setup as Junker's ie DG spring+B8 (mk6) shocks?

Tks