GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Knocking sound

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Hi guys i have this knocking sound coming from under my foot on the driver side when turning at idle, like pulling out of a parking stop.

It knocks really hard when driving a slow speeds and then turning hard. Its getting louder and louder as time goes by, and the knock sound is like some one hitting the frame under my feet with a sledgehammer not a tick tick tick.

I also searched and could not find much on this.......

Maybe some thing is lose under the driver side of the car????

mfbmike

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
Well known issue. Replace subframe bolts with new ones as well as a shim on each new bolt total of two. Check ecstuning.com

Came in here to post this. There is a long thread on the vortex about it. An issue across the entire MK5 line.

You basically replace the stock bolts with audi oem subframe bolts. Some people only replaced the two rears. Some did all four. Some did all four and the shims as well.

The bolts can be purchased from your vw dealer for like 5 bucks each.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Thanks guys

I posted this earlier and then i decided to go out side and see what i could find wrong.

so i went under my car and tightened all 4 bolts to the subframe and one of them would not torx at all!!!!

I had the torx bar at 81ft lbs and no luck on the one bolt. I also noticed sum damage on top of the subframe from where it was knocking the car frame.

I guess i need to replace all 4 bolts instead of just trying to tighten them down????

Any body have part numbers????

Thanks for all the help

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Stylist keep us updated!

Will do man

to day will be the day that i will get the TSB done on my subframe on the R32.

I went to the dealer and got the 4 subframe bolts and the shims.

They will be going on the R tonight...............:headbang:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
So back to the OP

I decided to replace all 4 bolts along with the 2 shims to the back part of the subframe and the control arm.

here is a pix of the 4 bolts and the 2 shims

IMG_5186.jpg

These are the 2 bolts that need to be pulled out from the subframe and control arm.
IMG_5188.jpg

U can see where the old bolt connected to the subframe and frame of car, remove these bolts on both sides along with the control arm side too.
IMG_5192.jpg

At the top of the subframe u can see the shim stuck up there snug between the subframe and the car frame. U need to use a crow bar to get this bitch in between the subframe.PITA
IMG_5203.jpg

Now these are the old OEM Bolts that came with my car and u can see a big difference between the to big time.
IMG_5205.jpg

I hope this keep the knocking sound off my feet and out of my head.......:cool:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
so far so good on the hard knocking sound from the subframe.......

I have been driving pretty hard and still no hitting as of yet