GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Remove DSG Shifter

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I people, I just bought a new DSG Shifter and wanted to show u guys how to remove it and to put some facts behind the DSG Shifter its self.

I here from people that u can NOT drive the car with out the DSG Shifter knob on the shift post. This is not true, all u have to do when u have the knob off is to pull up on the shifter post and put in what ever gear u nee.

I also here allot that u take off the DSG Shifter u will break it or when u put the shifter back on it will break too. Not true at all, I did not brake any thing.

First thing u need to do is have the car in park and engine OFF and turn key to on position and then pull shifter to N mode. Next U can start to pull up the shifter plate with a trim tool, this part is pretty easy, once u get it off pull it up till u can see the wire connected to it underneath.

Now u can squeez the connector and pull it and it will pop off. Next u can push down HARD on the little black peice on the bottom of the shifter post. U will not brake it but u will need to push it down really hard to get it to go down. Once it goes down u will here a loud click and thats it u got it. good job!!!!!

IMG_4415.jpg

This is the hard part, U need to pull off the DSG Aluminum plate that is on the top of the shifter, i used a small screw driver to pop it up and off. U need to be very careful on this part cause this piece is very fragile.

IMG_4405.jpg

Next u can put the shifter in S mode and after that u will need to pull the trigger button out till u see the metal piece inside the shifter drop off the shift post. The shifter post has a hole in it and the DSG shifter has a small metal piece that is connected to the trigger button and this fits into the hole on the shifter post. When u pull out the trigger button this will come out ov the hole on the shifter post and NOW u can pull up on the shifter knob.
METAL PIECE LOOK BLUE IN MY PIC
IMG_4409.jpg

If that metal piece behind the trigger button does not come out of the hole u will NOT be able to remove the shifter. The only way u will be able to know this is if u REMOVE the dsg shifter aluminum piece on TOP of the shifter. This acts like a window to see whats going on inside the shifter.

Once u get the shifter off and hope fully not brake any thing ur all
good!!!!:happyanim:

This is what the shifter looks like when u remove the 2 small metal springs inside the shifter, this is what keeps the trigger button in tight.

IMG_4411.jpg

There are a few parts to the DSG shifter u dont want to lose or brake like the aluminum trigger cover, aluminum dsg top piece, 2 small springs, ect. These parts are the ones that u could break or lose, Becarfull with the 2 small springs cause they will take off if u let them.

IMG_4413.jpg

Top DSG cover, Trigger cover, and shifter post cover

IMG_4429.jpg
IMG_4419.jpg

U can barely see the metal piece inside the shifter

IMG_4425.jpg

This is what the shifter looks like when u take off the aluminum trigger piece cover. U can see the 2 springs behind the trigger button hold the button in place tight.

IMG_4421.jpg

Last edited:

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
do you have pics of the new shifter?

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
old one looks better ...

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Nice write-up man, thanks!

The "old" design is exactly the same as the one in our .:R but with grey/silver thread on the stitching...

Wouldn't it have been easier to just get the stitching added to your's?

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI

The "old" design is exactly the same as the one in our .:R but with grey/silver thread on the stitching...

yes, but your asking the same guy who popped 8k on recaro seats when he couldve had the same basic seat for half the price lol

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238

yes, but your asking the same guy who popped 8k on recaro seats when he couldve had the same basic seat for half the price lol

:laughabove:.......:bellyroll:.......:bow:

ScGRaceR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
awesome!!! thanks dude. will def be my next diy! and is there a link for the shift knob selections

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
This is an excellent write-up stylist; and just to expand on the idea a bit, here are some more instructions for the procedure: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4176712

This includes alternative shifter use and how to make the DSG work with any shift knob :thumbsup:

Just thought it would be useful to have all options in one thread :biggrin:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
This is an excellent write-up stylist; and just to expand on the idea a bit, here are some more instructions for the procedure: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4176712

This includes alternative shifter use and how to make the DSG work with any shift knob :thumbsup:

Just thought it would be useful to have all options in one thread :biggrin:

Thanks saab, im glad u and every body else likes it:happyanim:

awesome!!! thanks dude. will def be my next diy! and is there a link for the shift knob selections

I posted the link one post above:thumbsup:

so the new one doesn't have the notchy feel of the new CC DSG shift knob? just curious.

No its smooth as silk baby!!!!

Just like the original one