GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG overheating?

TRC

Ready to race!
Just wondering if anyone had an issue with the DSG overheating?

-Ive notice with stage 1 the wheels spin a lot on S mode and with traction control off/ASR off.

So I tried traction control On in S mode with less wheel spin, I still got a DSG overheat.

I even thought of D mode while tracking but who does that anyways?

I also notice the DSG will down shift in the middle of a turn which also contribute to the overheating, as much as I try to feather it 15-20% on the throttle it will just down shift.

I did a few research about the sensors need to be replace or something like fault code.

Or maybe time to get a DSG Flash?

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
DSG will overheat. i noticed it last summer during autox. after 3 runs or so in warm weather, the launch control wouldn't really let me launch anymore. also, why are you running in S? manual mode is so much better.

TRC

Ready to race!
DSG will overheat. i noticed it last summer during autox. after 3 runs or so in warm weather, the launch control wouldn't really let me launch anymore. also, why are you running in S? manual mode is so much better.

I've never had an issue at AutoX or on racetrack.

I have a question for you guys..

does the DSG take over even if your in Manual Mode? Or it only take over if you forgot to shift? Thanks!

^ thats because you track in the snow... :biggrin:

OP, how do you know your transmission is overheating?

you'll get a Big Flashing Light at the dash saying Transmission Over Heat and it will cut the power.

PhxGLI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW GLI
you need a DSG flash to prevent the mid-Corner shifts. I have revo and think that track use is the only real use for the DSG flash. The flash will let you bounce off the rev limiter and it will still not shift. I live in AZ and during a track day in September I overheated my DSG it was 110 degrees and we were doing 20 minute sessions. the reason it over heated was I did back to back sessions towards the end of the day so at around 35 minutes it started to over heat and I had the flashing PRNDS. After letting the car cool down and clearing the code the car was fine.

TRC

Ready to race!
I think that might be a good solution at least I can finish my session with the flash. I'm getting 3-4 laps short because of the excessive downshifting/wheel spins and not to mention my car is a pig.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
for the DSG taking over... yes, and no. some people complain about it continuously. for me, i only had issues with it on maybe 3-4 of my runs over the course of the entire summer. so that was maybe 8-9 autox's at 8 or so runs average per autox. 2 of those were because i upshifted just as the DSG was nearing its auto shift mark, so it ended up being a double upshift. 1-2 of these were because the DSG shifted when i didn't want it to and was about to start slowing down. so in about 5% of my runs something funky went down. i'ld say that's decent as this was my first year autoxing and i was not used to the car. once you learn the quirks of the transmission, you get used to it and can change your driving style a bit to ensure that you work with the transmission instead of against it.

also, i imagine on a track where things don't happen quite as fast, it's easier to control for upshifts in manual mode.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
you need a DSG flash to prevent the mid-Corner shifts. I have revo and think that track use is the only real use for the DSG flash. The flash will let you bounce off the rev limiter and it will still not shift. I live in AZ and during a track day in September I overheated my DSG it was 110 degrees and we were doing 20 minute sessions. the reason it over heated was I did back to back sessions towards the end of the day so at around 35 minutes it started to over heat and I had the flashing PRNDS. After letting the car cool down and clearing the code the car was fine.

seeing as you have a DSG, and it does not upset the balance of the car if you shift midcorner, why would you want to bounce off the rev limiter? why not just shift and gain a bit more speed, or just be in a more controllable part of the powerband... not bouncing around at the fuel cut?

TRC

Ready to race!
for the DSG taking over... yes, and no. some people complain about it continuously. for me, i only had issues with it on maybe 3-4 of my runs over the course of the entire summer. so that was maybe 8-9 autox's at 8 or so runs average per autox. 2 of those were because i upshifted just as the DSG was nearing its auto shift mark, so it ended up being a double upshift. 1-2 of these were because the DSG shifted when i didn't want it to and was about to start slowing down. so in about 5% of my runs something funky went down. i'ld say that's decent as this was my first year autoxing and i was not used to the car. once you learn the quirks of the transmission, you get used to it and can change your driving style a bit to ensure that you work with the transmission instead of against it.

also, i imagine on a track where things don't happen quite as fast, it's easier to control for upshifts in manual mode.

In that case Ill wait after my next track day and decide if I really need the DSG flash right away, its going to be harder because my car doesn't have a paddle shift so I have to do it the old fashion way.
feb 26 is my first AutoX and ill practice there.
Thank you!

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
In that case Ill wait after my next track day and decide if I really need the DSG flash right away, its going to be harder because my car doesn't have a paddle shift so I have to do it the old fashion way.
feb 26 is my first AutoX and ill practice there.
Thank you!

paddles are worthless for autox. your wheel flies around too fast. BlueAHR32 on here tracks and he loves paddle shifters there since you don't have to take your hands off the wheel the entire run. i figure even with regular shifter it's not quite as good, but you still don't have to worry about upsetting the car midturn with a regular manual shift.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Always happy I have a manual when I read these threads. Buddy of mine just had his DSG grenade on his MKVI, 8000 miles on it. Did 2 days at VIR with it. Damn shame.

Dynjo

Ready to race!
Personally, I have never had this problem.

Your car is heavier and more powerful (Stage I) than my stock GTI. Those two things are likely contributors.

It is possible to read transmission fault codes and temperatures with VAGCOM. That would be interesting data.

I imagine driving style and track layout would have an influence, as well.

Also, I would consider changing out that Liquid Gold transmission lube. Might have toasted it. If it was worn out before you started the track event, it could have contributed to slippage and heat. How many miles on the tranny lube?

There is an oil cooler in the transmission. I believe it is a simple heat exchanger that tranfers transmission heat to engine coolant. If you are hard-core serious about engineering your way out of this, one approach might be to add a separate coolant loop for the trans. It would require a coolant pump and a small radiator. Not easy or cheap, though. Or maybe just an additional cooler in the coolant line that runs to the trans.

Addition trans cooling is very often required on trailer-tow vehicles and -- surprisingly -- drag racing cars.

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I had no problems with my DSG at a two-day modified AutoX at Streets of Willow last August. It was brutally hot with the temperature topping 110 degrees by mid-morning.

Many participants had dropped out by the second day, either because their cars experienced problems or because they themselves couldn't take the heat anymore, so on the second day I got numerous back-to-back sessions in with minimal cooloff. The transmission never overheated, slipped, or shifted rough.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI