GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I have a question about a FSI to TSI swap

BadGTI

Ready to race!
Do you guys think the TSI would be a direct swap for a FSI in a '06 GTI?

I was just curious because a friend is talking about buying one to build (cheaper parts, newer motor, fewer problems) then sell his FSI and drop the TSI in. We have tried searching but couldn't find to much info or anything about it being done before.
any info/help would be appreciated

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
You'd need the ECU, probably the wiring harnesses, coolant/fuel/vacuum lines, and engine sensors (MAF is different, others as well). This would be a lot of work and money for very little/no return. Maybe if you bought an entire wrecked TSI car/front end, you could do it semi-reasonably.

lawn mower

Banned
You'd need the ECU, probably the wiring harnesses, coolant/fuel/vacuum lines, and engine sensors (MAF is different, others as well). This would be a lot of work and money for very little/no return. Maybe if you bought an entire wrecked TSI car/front end, you could do it semi-reasonably.

x2

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
If you want to spend all the time and money to do an engine swap. Why not go all out and put something badass in there instead? Or just build the crap out of the FSI?

BadGTI

Ready to race!
ok. thanx for the advice

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
It would be like doing a k swap in an EF chassis... a shit load of work...

xola3que

euroturd
Agree, at the minimum I would go with R32 3.2L swap. You'll get the 4 motion and a kick arse sound. I understand why you want the TSI though, it could be had for little amount of work but then again, you do little, you gain little.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Itd probably make the most sense to build up the fsi or your friend to trade in his car for one with a tsi.

What would your rationale be swapping for a TSI? If it's for the cam follower, theres the h2sport fix. Aluminum valve cover? There's EJ valve cover. with those two mods your FSI will essentially be bullet proof other than carbon build up.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
What would your rationale be swapping for a TSI? If it's for the cam follower, theres the h2sport fix. Aluminum valve cover? There's EJ valve cover. with those two mods your FSI will essentially be bullet proof other than carbon build up.

Hell even places around me will do a complete cleaning for carbon for 3 bills.