GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front power windows don't work at all

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
Ok so I'm having a frustrating problem. I have a 4 door, and both driver and passenger windows don't work at all, using either the driver controls, the passenger control, or the keyfob. The back windows go down using the driver controls as well as the keyfob. When trying to open/close, a clicking noise can be heard coming from each window. Checked every fuse in the car and they are all good.

This happened in the middle of a drive, the passenger window was opened and closed fine, and a few minutes later when I tried to open my window it wouldn't work, and the passenger lost control of their window as well.

Any ideas what I should check next? Not really good with car electronics. Could both motors have gone out at the same time? That seems unlikely. As for mods, I have a Dension Gateway hooked up to my factory head unit, been there for about 3 months, and a subwoofer that's tapped into the rear window wiper fuse, that's been there for 2+ years. Other than those things the electrical system is untouched.

Would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks guys.

adamgti

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
I haven't done anything in depth yet, don't have time until the weekend but will be pulling apart the door and hitting everything with a multimeter if this hasn't resolved itself by then.

But one interesting development today that supports it being a loose wire somewhere: before I left work I pulled the window fuse again just to quadruple check it, and it was fine, so I put it back, and when I did I was able to use the windows, rolled both front ones down and back up, and then they stopped working again. So I'll be starting at the fuse panel and working my way out from there looking for any loose connections I guess.

bounty123

Passed Driver's Ed
Mines been like this for weeks!Seems to randomly work and then just stop!

Door lock module I'm guessing.................

bounty123

Passed Driver's Ed
And today they now work perfectly?? What's going on?!

Yeah,perfect! Its madness,over the real cold spell they wouldn't work till the car warmed up!! It wasn't an iced window problem at all as the rears and passenger ones worked!

When the drivers side eventually worked it would roll down when up was pressed,then when it hit bottom it would then return up!

Domokun

Rawrr
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I had that issue with my windows. I was told by my VW tech that it could be a bad battery. Have you guys checked your battery?

adamgti

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
Haven't had any battery issues, starts quickly every time, how exactly would I diagnose a bad battery?

bounty123

Passed Driver's Ed
Funny enough,my window issues started not long after I fitted a new battery!

Battery's fine now,engine nearly jumps out the car when fired up so battery not the problem.

adamgti

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
Not working at all today :(

This problem is bugging the shit out of me, I have no idea what to check. Can't take it to dealer until next week.

FightinScot

Save the wee tootles
Car(s)
07 MKV GTI
Take off the driver side door control panel. Make sure plugs are all snug. Make sure there aren't any loose wires. Nothing pinching them or anything. Check for moisture or anything along those lines.