GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shop scratched all my rims installing tires

mkvstarr

what would u guys do? i got my car back and there was all these scratches on the rims i guess form the machine they use. some rims did already have a little curbage but now theres like rings on all rims like an inch below the tire. i'm gonna call tomorrow but was just wondering what u guys thought. thanks.
first time posting.

Attachments

• DSC01402.jpg
    DSC01402.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,283
  • DSC01403.jpg
    DSC01403.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,685
  • DSC01404.jpg
    DSC01404.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 2,158
  • DSC01405.jpg
    DSC01405.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,891

mobbin6

Banned
fuck that's pretty bad. I would've gone back as soon as I noticed. When you go tomorrow, immediately ask for a manager, or owner or whoever. Don't act like an ass, it'll get you further. If you talk to one of the "workers," they'll most likely say that you can't prove it was them, and that you could've done the damage yourself between when you got them on, and when you went back. Anyways, ask for a manager/owner, and explain the situation. Maybe watch the machine they use when they put tires on, and see how it scratches it, then proceed to show the manager/owner. Hopefully you guys work something out.

Good luck

Last edited:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
That really is unacceptable. As said above, don't be an ass about it, but insist that they repair the damage. Clearly whoever mounted those tires didn't know what they were doing.

xola3que

euroturd
There's curbage and there's machine scratches, they both have their own distinctive pattern of damages. If you get the machine scratches on all four wheels it's a strong case against them since curbages are hit and miss but the other is more uniform with same pattern at the same spot. 225/40/18 tires are harder to mount due to shorter sidewall but really it's none of your concern, any experience shop would mount even more aggressive set up without messing up your wheels.

I'm sure with that kind of work you're not the first with the issue so do bring it to their attention. You will be surprised how much they know they messed up without having to say a word.

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I just had my winters swapped on my detroits and I feared this outcome. But I called in advance and asked about their experience with mounting that size tire on those kind of polished rims and they assured me it would be no problem and they apparently work on high end mercedes all the time (says the guy on the phone). I took a shot and it worked out. You sir, have a big issue on your hands, good luck with it!

Vins25

Dump Valve 7000RPM
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
Shit dude:S! Go to the shop owner as the guys told u , and working something out.. Dont forget that its ur right!

mkvstarr

thanks for the help guys. so i went to the shop and the manager agreed that they caused the scratches. He gave me a ticket to come back that said "rims have superfical scratches. will polish come spring after winter weather".

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I don't think that's enough!

My Discount Tire did the same exact thing to my "Denvers" when mounting my winter tires, and then they agreed that some newbies at the shop did it.

He offered to refinish them all, and I asked him how much that was....he said $125/wheel.

I saw they had some Momo wheels for cheap on Discount Tire Direct's website and I said, how about you get me those instead?

He ordered me 5 wheels (1 extra as a spare), and mounted/balanced everything for free AND I got to keep my old Denver wheels too.

Just depends on how you go about it! :cool:

NolteAudio

Audio Master
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
thanks for the help guys. so i went to the shop and the manager agreed that they caused the scratches. He gave me a ticket to come back that said "rims have superfical scratches. will polish come spring after winter weather".

The thing that sucks is you cant polish out those wheels, there laser etched.

SlickGTIMKv

United_Euros
Car(s)
2009 MKV GTI 6MT
Huge fear of mine. I try and do EVERYTHING myself, if I can. Tire's, obviously, is one of those thing's we rely on someone else to do. Hope it all work's out for you.