GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ice build up bends door

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
As many people may or may not know...its been snowing quite a bit here in the NorthEast US of A....yesterday I noticed a solid block of ice forming behind the driver's side front wheel...this is normal for this kind of weather. I tried to kick it off the car...but it was firmly fixed on...I figured I would wait so not to rip anything off or damage the body by trying to force it loose. Well...little did I realize that there is a gap in the front, bottom corner of the door well that seems to hold ice very nicely...this wouldn't be a problem...except that the front, bottom corner of the door then has no place to go when the door is opened...so now there is about a 2 inch tall by 1 inch deep section of the bottom, front drivers side door that is at about a 90 degree angle sticking out from the car when the door is closed...this ****in sucks the balls. My dealer said that it is a design flaw and that they will fix it no problem...but what the ****...this sux.

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
pics before the fix PLEASE

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
Here are a few shots that should give you the general idea...they are taken with the cell phone...best i can do on short notice.

Attachments

• 0215071713.jpg
    0215071713.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 21,874
  • 0215071714.jpg
    0215071714.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21,015
  • 0215071714a.jpg
    0215071714a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 20,625

nc-gti

Ready to race!
My dealer said that it is a design flaw.

So, let's hear your suggestion of how this "flaw" could have been prevented. Don't you think other cars do the same thing? What about the MkV door-to-fender arrangement would cause this and not other cars? What should VW Design have done different?

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
NC-GTI, its happening to everyone in the same place so while you are right it is nothing new...this is in fact shit design work...yes you have to be more carefull in the winter and watch out for things you don't have to pay any attention to in the summer...but this my mkV-friend is a flaw.

ndccpf1

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you think the OEM mud flaps would have been any help ? I installed the OEM flaps but have not had much snow driving yet. Appears from other posts though that water runs from the base of the windshields down the door hinge areas.....

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I opened my door the other day and heard some scary noises my first thought was "oh shit" i took a look, luckily nothing really happened. I will take it to VW though to complain and tell them to fix it..

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
Its the plastic strip under the windshield and I thinking the weather stripping around the door also

Erik F

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like VW is going to take care of it for me...not sure what they are going to do to fix it from happening again...