GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 R32 to a 2010 R - can't quite do it!!!

AAAARRRGH32

I used to be a Pirate...
Car(s)
08 Golf R32
Ok, for reasons that I would rather not disclose, I am in a position where it is actually quite beneficial financially for me to "upgrade" from my R32 to the current Golf R.

I went and test drove one last night. It's nice, I quite enjoyed driving it, but it really doesn't seem like an 'upgrade' from my R32. The seats feel similar, similar dash, similar layout, ... you get the picture.

The pro's - the R is quicker. When you put your foot down, it is definitely quicker. Same with stopping... the R definitely likes stopping better (not a big noticeable dip in the front end!). And then a few other refinements that aren't on my car like standard sensors, active headlights.

The con's - Only one really, but it's a biggie. It sucks at low speed. It seriously feels like it struggles compared to the 6 cyl. in the R32 at 'normal' driving speeds. It doesn't have that sporty feel at these speeds and you spend a majority of your time travelling those speeds.

Struggling with this one. I don't know which one I like better!!! Lol. I llike the looks of the new R and it is a nice car, but I reckon I'd enjoy driving my R32 more for about 90% of the time...(ie I only fang it about 10% of the time I drive...)

Any comments welcome :p

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
was at OPVW on Monday. Was asked by the service department why we haven't "upgraded" to the R20 (as they called it).

I said, "it's a nice car, don't get me wrong (the R), but the sheer presence of the .:R32 when you light up that exhaust, is something which I just can't let go of". They agreed, and said that most of the comments from people test driving the R were of a similar vein. The R is nice, has a lot of development in it, but it just doesn't have that sound.

The end of the conversation was "hang onto your .:R32....you will get a great price for it."

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Wouldn't a chip help remove some of the low speed turbo lag.

Noticed the same problem when I took one for a test drive, in traffic you kind of think it sucks but then you give it the beans on the on ramp of a freeway!

bwen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
I guess there's where the difference between NA and FI becomes clear as night and day. A lot of people still prefer a lower powered NA car than a turbo varient as it gives you power on tap and a nice linear torque curve.

Though the new R is better than the R32 in performance I personally would rather keep the R32 as it is a brilliant car. If I had one I would give it a bit of a diet to drop some its weight and you would have a brilliant sounding NA v6 hot hatch.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
There's no doubting the sound of a MKV R32.
It is god-like. Purring at low RPM, and bellowing up top.
On a K04 TFSI, the issue with lag does go away (to an extent) with a stage 1 reflash.

Given what is in your driveway already, I'd struggle with that decision.

However I was in a similar position to you.
i.e. it was financially beneficial for me to get my Pirelli.
I'm not complaining, but I had no intentions to get rid of my GT Sport until the accountant dictated it to me... and for the most part I don't argue with the accountant.

Head or heart... which one drives you right now? ;)

huy

Retired Racer
well racing cars traditionally run NA motors for the response (among other things)... and that is what it sounds like you are feeling.

if its about performance, then yes it is an upgrade... but from what you are saying, it is about equal to your R32 all things considered, but you would benefit greatly from getting the R. If that is the case, do what is best for you financially.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hard decision.. I don't think there will be that many R32 owners rushing to get into a new R.

Stock for stock they are fairly similar cars in the scheme of things, the R may be better technically in most areas but doesn't have the same sound or presence on the road. The R would be much faster after a stage 1 reflash if you are after outright speed but the no-lag N/A throttle control feel is great around town.

triode12

Go Kart Champion
Hard decision.. I don't think there will be that many R32 owners rushing to get into a new R.

Then why the heck did you sell your R32 for the mkVI GTI (which is btw is worse than the R in terms of presence on the road and equal in terms of not having that R32 soundtrack)?

Not so long ago and shortly after you purchased your GTI, you were rubbishing the R32 (to justify your new purchase). Saying it had no power in the upper rev range and other things I can't be bothered to remember now. Now you are loving it again? Man, you are fickle minded.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
GolfR - faster, lighter, more refined, better handling, better mileage, fewer emissions, cheaper than R32, more standard kit, responds dramatically to inexpensive reflashing.
R32 - sounds better.
Wow! - when you look at the pros & cons the R32 wins hands down. It would have to be a collectors item & worth more in the future........*

* Note sarcasm.

mleung

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI Pirelli
Don't think you're in a bad position with any of the cars...

If I had a MKV GTI or MK6 GTI I'll be just as happy. If I had a R32 or a R I'll just be as happy... Even if it was a GT I'll still be pretty happy. End of the day they are all great cars each has it's uniqueness and everyone appreciates the car for different reasons.

I do have to admit though the Golf R is fast... but still everytime I see and hear R32 there is a slight appreciation of that exhuast note. The K04 car turbo lag does suck a bit and I can see the advantages of the NA. Hence the dilemna right...

I really want an R32 but can't let myself get one cause I know the Golf R is so much quicker..... so torn.

So maybe MK7 GOLF R with the TTRS engine?? 5 cylinders and turbo charged? best of all worlds!!

jesse085

Passed Driver's Ed
If its financially better for you to upgrade then why not sell your 08 R32 and try and find a 2010 R32, there is a few still around as demo's..I guess your on a lease but even then I still find it hard to swallow that it will actually save you money by buying a more expensive car.

Its always going to divide people the R vs R32, the turbo fans will always throw the specs around and the six fans will rely on soul and character.. Personally Im more of a six fan then a high powered turbo, as you mentioned in your initial post how usable is the power in an R? merging on to a freeway? why would you buy a car just for that.

morty

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk5 R32 3door
I'm in the same situation (I suspect) as the OP re financial benefit of trading. I can't bring myself to downgrade that aural pleasure. And the low end torque is important for me for all those ski trips I get up to. A turbo 4 pot just won't do that for me.

OP - I'm waiting for the 2.5L 5 cyl turbo to make its way into more AWD audis and VW's. An RS3 possibly. I figure that will still provide that low end torque and the 'windows down' godliness that we have become accustomed to in the R32.